• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Matzo / Matzah

Pam R

Every year I bring in approximately 20 varieties of matzo, hoping to make all of my customers happy. We bring in several brands -- both Israeli and American (this year: Osem, Aviv, Jerusalem, Yehuda, Yarden, Streit's & Manishewitz). Then there are the different varieties: plain, 'lite', extra bran, whole wheat, spelt, organic spelt, egg, machine made AND handmade shmura.

Some people buy the same matzo every year, others are swayed by price or other issues. I always snag a couple of boxes of the Streit's spelt (I haven't had an Israeli spelt matzo that compares to it).

Which one(s) will you be using this year? Do you always have the same type or do you mix it up a bit? Any new ones out there -- and has anybody spotted the Streit's gluten-free oat matzo this year?

Rakusen's matzoh is absolutely my favorite and, my opinion, the best one (at least of those I've had). Only problem is that it's a little harder to find because it's a British brand, so I'm going to ask my parents to buy me a few boxes again this year; they seem to be able to get it every year at one of the stores near them.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I grew up on Manishewitz Egg Matzos and I have never found another one as good.

Just like it took years for me to adjust to a dry wine after Manishewitz Concord Grape. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

I think I've had a matzo epiphany with Streit's Passover Whole Wheat Matzos. They actually have a nice, wheaty flavor (compared to regular matzos), and are apparently good for you too - with 4 grams of dietary fiber in each 110 calorie matzo.

Makes for a fine base for hummus or baba ghanoush or even some soft, spreadable goat cheese I recently bought.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

I still like Streit's spelt matzo, though Yarden was a new & good one this year.

Around here, people seem to buy more Israeli matzo than American. For some reason the Israeli prices are much better than American, so that may be part of it.

I hope I'll be able to get my hands on the Oat matzo next year -- anybody try it?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a couple of boxes of Holyland Matzo (http://estouest.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2007/03/holylandmatzos.1174436055.jpg) that Trader Joe's was carrying. The price was about 1/3 the price of Streits or Manischwitz, and the matzo was nice and crispy. It held up very well to making matzo brie, which was the intended purpose of the purchase. It was also pretty strong, holding up well to spreading with butter or cream cheese - it didn't break as easily as some other matzohs I've tried. I really like the crisp, firm texture.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I haven't seen Holy Land up here, but I'll keep an eye open for it next year. Assuming by the name that it's Israeli, it makes sense that it's 1/3 of the price.

Assuming by the name that it's Israeli, it makes sense that it's 1/3 of the price.

Yes, it's Israeli. I think it's the same brand that the local TJ's have been carrying for the past few years.

... Shel