• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Bean Tofu - Will it work?

G-rat

So I'm wondering if you could make tofu from black beans. Making it in the same way as regular tofu (make a bean milk; heat to 160, stir, skim; add gyspum; press). Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it. I searched through the forums and found a wealth of information about making tofu but not from anything other than soy beans? Any help is much appreciated.

I guess you can make tofu from black beans. There is one recipe in JAPANESE.

300 g black beans

2.2 l water

50 cc bittern

Note, however, that a famous TV show, Me Ga Ten, say that you can't make tofu from black beans because they don't have enough protein contents (40% or greater), as described here (again in JAPANESE).

So, I guess that depends on the protein content of your black beans.

Black douhua (黑豆花) is a type of silken tofu made from plain black soy beans and soybeans, which is usually made into dòuhuā (豆花) rather than firm or dry tofu. The texture of black bean tofu is slightly more gelatinous than regular douhua and the color is greyish in tone. This type of tofu is eaten for the earthy "black bean taste.(from Wikipedia)

folks thank you so much. I assume then that the key ingredient in creating an effective bean curd then is the protein in the bean itself. Most of the processes I read didn't necessarily state as much about the chemical reaction. This is very helpful. Thanks so much.