• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Montreal end of June

sadistick

Alas there has not been much activity here since Jen's Jan '09 posting -

We will be in Montreal for 2 days this summer and are looking for suggestions on:

- Dinner

- Lunch

- Snacks

I think APDC is on our list for one dinner...

Suggestions for another would be great, as well, which is the smoked meat shop that we 'cannot miss' - i do not recall the name!

All help is greatly appreciated.

I'll be following along with interest. First weekend in May I'm an examiner for the College of Family Physicians. Usually I test in Hamilton (just a few miles up the road). Last year they sent me to Toronto - that's when thanks to eG I discovered Mengrai Thai. This year they are sending me to Montreal - whoo hoo! We arrive by train on Thursday and leave on Tuesday after hitting Chocolat-chocolat, Design and Realization, France Decor...

I'm taking along a fellow foodie - we already have reservations for aPdC. Her job is to get us reservations at Toque and Joe Beef and there was one other place she had ferreted out that I have forgotten. In fact I think I'll remind her about that right now!

APDC is a must.

Schwarz's is the smoked meat place. Not to be missed: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html Get the "fat" meat. Trust me on this.

Tapeo is a superb tapas bar. http://restomontreal.ca/portal/tapeo-bar-tapas/index.php?lang=en

Le Roi du Plateau is a delightful family-run Portuguese grill resto http://restomontreal.ca/restaurants/index.php?section=viewresto&resto_id=1145〈=en If you've never done one of these, do it: a Montréal speciality.

Finally, if you visit Montréal but do NOT go to the Marché Jean-Talon, you will be barred from foodie heaven when you die: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Talon_Market

Quite simply the most amazing farmer's, local producers', restos' place in N. America.

Report back after your trip.

Winemaker

I can't give you any specific directions or bakeries to go to, but if you have never eaten a Montreal bagel, straight out of the oven, do this thing. Bagels will never be the same for you again. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I second the suggestion for the Marché Jean-Talon. It is in Little Italy and we stumbled on to it accidentally . It is a wonderful market.montreal 020.jpg

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thank you all for the suggestions -

I am creating a list as we speak!

Kerry, I too have heard of Toque and Joe Beef (someone mentioned JB is very similar to APDC though)....

Still looking for some suggestions on bakeries, potentially 1 other dinner, and any 'touristy' things we must see/do!

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Beef is different enough that it is worth the visit - more variety in the dishes at Joe Beef, but a similar dedication to regional ingredients. We spend three or four nights in Montreal each Fall, and APDC & Joe Beef are two that are definite stops. Toque is very good but not unlike many 'best restaurant in town' kind of places - FWIW I liked Lumiere in Vancouver better, when we went about a decade ago - very similar kind of places. Le Club Chasse et Peche is worth the stop. Graziella, for Italian. We ate at the chef's table at Europea last Fall, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - very good restaurant, but the table was especially great, overlooking the kitchen. Best chocolate in town is from Chloe. Byblos is a great place for breakfast - omelets like none you've ever had. Milos is great and the lunch deal is a steal.

I was just there this past February. L'express was a great dinner, informal bistro with very knowledgeable, friendly staff and amazing rilletes and pot au feu. You MUST NOT MISS your chance to eat at Au Cinquieme Peche...one of the best dinners i've ever had. Small restaurant, amazing chef and some of the most hospitable staff ever...have the sweetbreads, the seal and the venison. Just down the street you will find Kouign Amman, a great bakery where you should eat their specialty/namesake pastry. APDC is pure epicurean debauchery...their pig's foot is out of this world, and the foie terrine is spectacular. I heard great stuff about Restaurant DNA but did not get to go. Fromagerie Hamel is also a place you must not miss...there's one about 1/2 a block away from Jean Talon.

Thank you all for the great suggestions - my notepad is quickly filling up!

We just booked our hotel, we will be staying at Le Square Phillips Hotel - which from what I read got good reviews and is fairly local.

My question now is - Can anyone suggest some pastry shops or must try edibles that are within walking distance of the hotel?

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers.