• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chartreuse - Really 130 Ingredients?

BlairF27

I confess I've had more umm...remarkable experiences with Chartreuse than Absinthe, with no expectation of such from either. I've since heard it hinted that some of the secrets in the monastery are more interesting than it would seem, but of course I have nothing to back this up with. It's been several years since I've consumed enough Chartreuse in one sitting to experience the effects again...hard to handle that much sugar nowadays (and the price tag...ouch).

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I've since heard it hinted that some of the secrets in the monastery are more interesting than it would seem, but of course I have nothing to back this up with.

Do tell...I'll be visiting the area this spring and would be happy to do some research.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I've since heard it hinted that some of the secrets in the monastery are more interesting than it would seem, but of course I have nothing to back this up with.

Do tell...I'll be visiting the area this spring and would be happy to do some research.

Well I remember reading several years back that Chartreuse potentially does have a relatively high level of thujone, though I don't have a source for it. Could be nothing. At any rate I doubt its the kind of thing you learn by knocking on the door of the distillery.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman