• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Brunch

Gail CDM

This event will be fancy, but not too "over the top" I'm tired of doing everyday ham, mashed pots and a vegetable. Any good ham recipe would be greatly appreciated.. My well has run dry on ideas. Also, need a different potato recipe as well. Veggies, we can shake it up with a blend, or a sauce...not too worried about that. Help please! :wacko:

I'm usually a "from-scratch" cook, these two recipes are family favorites/standards/sure-fire hits. Both recipes serve 6-8, but can easily be multiplied for much larger numbers.

Laurie

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

2 heads broccoli, cut into florets (stems discarded or saved for stock),

blanched in boiling water just until barely tender

1 can cream of mushroom soup

¾ cup mayo

11/2 to 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (depending on size of broccoli)

1 medium onion, diced

¼ cup melted butter

1 cup bread crumbs or crushed Ritz crackers

Blanch broccoli florets. In a large bowl, mix soup, mayo, onion, cheese and salt

and pepper to taste. Drain broccoli and mix in. Place in greased 13x9” baking

pan. Mix melted butter with bread crumbs and top casserole. Bake at 350

degrees for 35-45 minutes, until bubbling.

CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE

Chef Donna Chriszt

Oven at 350*

1 package (2lb.) frozen hash browns, thawed

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 stick butter, melted

8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

½ cup chopped onion

1 t. salt

Dash garlic salt

8 oz. sour cream

Mix the above ingredients together & pour into a greased casserole. Top with:

2 c. crushed corn flakes

1 stick melted butter

Bake til golden & bubbly, approx. 45 minutes.

Buffet. But have plenty of help so the traditional buffet foods do not have to be made.

I will serve Ham and probably a baked turkey breast. Glazes are still up in the air. Want contrast, yet maintain a balance to the meal. Already thinking of a creamy potato.

I love the non-traditional avenue. Then we have the element of surprise...which in layman's terms...we can do what ever we want!! I can't serve lamb...too many people do not care for lamb. Such a loss. I really like the idea of a fresh ham rather than pre-cooked. I live in Amish country, and fresh pork is no problem this time of year. I was also thinking of a different twist for Turkey. Spice it up a bit with....something?? Cherries I think, and change it up then with the ham...but still complement

If it was me I would do the Ham and Roast Turkey (loving the Fresh Ham idea though because Regular Ham is cold by the time you sit down to eat it)a Baked Pasta (Ziti or Mac n Cheese) or a creamy pasta dish like Penne with Vodka Sauce or maybe Bowties Primivera. I love warm Roasted Potatoes with Green Beans done with a whole grain Mustard and Lemon dressing...Tossed Salad and maybe Veggies sliced for sandwiches then Dinner Rolls and Biscuts and Sliced Breads with an assortment of Condiments like Cranberry Mustard, and compound Mayos...

I have had this menu in my head for a long time and just wish my friend would get married and let me serve it. :wink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association