• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Sheet Pans

Shel_B

I may end up with that one for the Breville.  I believe I've seen it elsewhere for about 1/2 the price ... will have to double check.

Apparently not all of the Chicago Metallic bakeware is made in the US; some is made in China. Some items still get good overall reviews, but the quality may vary and I don't think they identify the gauge. Some of these are lower-priced items. 

For example, see the first review on this Amazon product:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-26639-Nonstick-Petite/dp/B00134LXB2

And from the Chicago Metallic website:

While there are consumer pans that bear the brand name Chicago Metallic, there is only one Chicago Metallic that carries the Bundy Eagle and offers pans that are made exclusively in the USA.

http://www.cmbakeware.com/

I believe the bakeware that is made in the US will have the Bundy Eagle and state "made in the US". When they sold the rights to a Chinese company to use the name Chicago Metallic, I think they excluded the Bundy Eagle. 

Can someone correct me if I am wrong on this, please? 

• Like 1

I have a number of Chicago Metalic sheet pans and I would be intersted in this too.  I find Chicago Metalic pans warp but i still like them.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

oddly the above link offers this:

Mini Sheet Pans Set of 2

2 for 10 and free shipping if you get other stuff to the 35 buck limit.   these might be the same as above or not.

Id get two for the Breville.

I have a couple of these and like them. Also a couple 1/4 sheet pand from amazon which I use more.

This morning I bought this pan:  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-5220-wear-ever-heavy-duty-16-gauge-quarter-size-bun-sheet-pan-9-1-2-x-13/9365220.html  The price, including shipping, was pretty good, and although it's not exactly what I wanted, it will work for the intended purpose.  Since Toots has a small stove and oven in her place, I had to get the 1/4 sheet pan for her.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 4 years later...

I am fed up with Chicago Metallic getting gray dust on my hands.  Can anyone recommend a half sheet pan that does not warp, does not corrode, is good for high heat, and that can safely go in the dishwasher?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am fed up with Chicago Metallic getting gray dust on my hands.  Can anyone recommend a half sheet pan that does not warp, does not corrode, is good for high heat, and that can safely go in the dishwasher?

The dishwasher is the cause of gray dust. It's something in certain detergents and the additive liquid that does it. Cascade powder in our old dw...no gray.  New dw plus "cascade complete" pods causes bad graying.  Mechanism...who knows?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The dishwasher is the cause of gray dust. It's something in certain detergents and the additive liquid that does it. Cascade powder in our old dw...no gray.  New dw plus "cascade complete" pods causes bad graying.  Mechanism...who knows?

I think this particular pan has not been in the dishwasher.  But it and I are old and I really can't say for certain.  Someone must make dishwasher safe sheet pans.

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Thanks but that chowhound thread had already turned up in my google search.

(As did the US navy report of the problem from 1897.)

I notice TeamFar offers stainless steel sheet pans in different sizes.  TeamFar (probably so called because their pans are made far, far away) is the seller of the lasagna pan I raved about that fits the CSO.  I also have a colander from them.  Kidding aside their quality is excellent.  I'm not sure the sheet pans would be heavy enough for the present purpose, which is to contain and catch drips from my baking steel when I use it in the big oven.

I may take one for and from the team.  I can't abide aluminum as a food surface.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I notice TeamFar offers stainless steel sheet pans in different sizes.  TeamFar (probably so called because their pans are made far, far away) is the seller of the lasagna pan I raved about that fits the CSO.  I also have a colander from them.  Kidding aside their quality is excellent.  I'm not sure the sheet pans would be heavy enough for the present purpose, which is to contain and catch drips from my baking steel when I use it in the big oven.

I may take one for and from the team.  I can't abide aluminum as a food surface.

You need steel. Or hand cleaning of aluminum. I don't find using a Brillo pad much work. 

But a nice bunch of steel pans would be interesting and pretty.  

I like C.M. pans

the ' jelly-rool ' type sold in BB&B

three pans = $ 19.95  = $ 15 w coupon.

Ive had them for years and wash them by hand w Ajax liquid.

I not noticed any residue.    I don't use my D.W. except for storage of glass pyrex and the like

Love my Chicago Metallic sheet pans.  I never use them bare. They are lined with silpat or parchment or aluminum foil and parchment. Never dream of putting them in the dishwasher. Only one ever warped.  It was used  to hold ice cubes when I was baking bread. I tossed them into the pan when the oven was at 550°F.   Not too surprised that it warped. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My TeamFar sheet pans arrived.  They look good.  Running them through the dishwasher as we speak.  I also snuck an 8x10" pan into the order to get same day shipping and $3.00 off.

I have at least four of the Chicago Metallic sheet pans.  I think I'll wrap one in foil and dedicate it to pizza.

• Like 3

I was equally impressed with the Teamfar lasagna pan that I got recently.  

I'd definitely look at their line if I were looking to replace my half sheet pans.

Also, the W-S Gold Touch pans are unbeatable if you don't mind paying a bit more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

I was equally impressed with the Teamfar lasagna pan that I got recently.  

I'd definitely look at their line if I were looking to replace my half sheet pans.

Also, the W-S Gold Touch pans are unbeatable if you don't mind paying a bit more.

Those WS are 20% off at the moment but I wouldn't trust the non-stick coating at pizza temperatures.

• Like 2

I have Chicago metallic from amazon and volrath and Lincoln sheetpans from the local restaurant warehouse store. Equivalent products, but the latter is way cheaper. In fact everything there is unbelievably inexpensive and often better made. 

Heres their website. https://g.co/kgs/3iPbFQ

PS their in person prices are better than the web prices which aren't bad. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

On August 12, 2018 at 7:17 AM, Auspicious said:

I have full and half-size aluminum sheet pans from Sam's Club. House brand and I don't know who makes them for Sam's. They've been great. Sometimes hand wash and sometime run them through the dishwasher. No issues.

Basic aluminum sheet pans are great as long as they are not too thin.   I lay parchment paper over them for easy clean up.  Can take high heat, no problem.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 8:46 PM, gfweb said:

I have Chicago metallic from amazon and volrath and Lincoln sheetpans from the local restaurant warehouse store. Equivalent products, but the latter is way cheaper. In fact everything there is unbelievably inexpensive and often better made. 

I have a mix of Lincoln, Chicago, and some unbranded ones from the restaurant store. The Lincolns and the heavier no-name ones are my favorite. The Chicago Metallic has a slight advantage in cases where you don't want things to brown as aggressively ... the steel is a bit less conductive than aluminum. But it's a minor difference and mostly I use whichever pan is on top. The disadvantage of the Chicago pans is temporary warping. When subject to rapid temperature change they often go "ping!" and twist themselves a bit longitudinally. They've always returned to normal, but this is disconcerting, and at least once has sent a cookie into the air. Overall I think heavier gauge bare aluminum is a better material than steel for sheet pans . 

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

For years I used a perforated Chicago Metallic half sheet pan for pizza.  It is permanently bowed like a bowl and I don't like pan pizza.  And with the perforations the pizza drippings always landed at the bottom of the oven.