• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

13 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Interesting. I've never pulled off this particular kind of alchemy, even with BKF. Maybe you're actually abrading off the oxidized aluminum on the surface?

Perhaps, but BKF isn't known for abrasiveness.  We have an aluminum ice cream scoop that is dark gray from many times in the dishwasher. I just cleaned it with BKF and it shined again but left a dark spot on the dish rag.  The rag is probably stained for good.  Then I went after it with SOS and it polished a little more, but it's still gray.  Cleaning the pizza pan right out of the dishwasher with BKF was easier. 

Below is the pan and scoop.  Both are easily 25 to 30 years old.

20180824_070721.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

12 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Interesting. I've never pulled off this particular kind of alchemy, even with BKF. Maybe you're actually abrading off the oxidized aluminum on the surface?

Perhaps, but BKF isn't known for abrasiveness.  We have an aluminum ice cream scoop that is dark gray from many times in the dishwasher. I just cleaned it with BKF and it shined again but left a dark spot on the dish rag.  The rag is probably stained for good.  Then I went after it with SOS and it polished a little more, but some gray remains.  Cleaning the pizza pan right out of the dishwasher with BKF was easier. 

20180824_070721.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Perhaps.  We have an aluminum ice cream scoop that is dark gray from many times in the dishwasher. I just cleaned it with BKF and it shined again but left a dark spot on the dish rag.  The rag is probably stained for good.  Then I went after it with SOS and it polished a little more, but some gray remains.  Cleaning the pizza pan right out of the dishwasher with BKF was easier. 

20180824_070721.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Perhaps.  We have an aluminum ice cream scoop that is dark gray from many times in the dishwasher. I just cleaned it with BKF and it shined again but left a dark spot on the dish rag.  The rag is probably stained for good.  Then I went after it with SOS and it polished a little more, but some gray remains.  Cleaning the pizza pan right out of the dishwasher with BFK was easier. 

20180824_070721.jpg