• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Coffee Snack....

reuvens

I love coffee and i always appreciate when they serve a little treat with it. There is the usual Choc / Mokka Bean ;-) or a dry cookie :-(, but what do you think would be the perfect match to a cup of coffee ?

Thats a newbie to me....cheese and coffee ! :blink:

I had a cookie with maldon salt once with my cup of cappuccino,

back then i felt that it "cuts" through the flavour spectrum too much.

But somehow buttery cheddar sounds good to me !

For me, it is the little Dutch Stroopwafels.

http://www.caramelcookiewaffles.com/

There is not enough sugar to seriously affect my diabetes - as long as I limit myself to just one.

I have seen them with chocolate but as I am allergic to it, the classic ones are the best for me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sounds a bit labour intensive...

Well, dunking. And the French like to dip their tartines into their tea or coffee. I leave that choice up to you, but my cheese & digestives accompany coffee dry.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Madeleines are lovely. Starbuck's has some that are remarkably good, especially for chain restaurant food.

My mother has a recipe called "Swedish Rusk" that is probably not authentic; it's a dry cake containing black walnuts, which is sliced into bars and dried in the oven in the same manner as biscotti. Somehow, the coffee and the black walnuts are flavors that seem intended to go together.

My personal favorite accompaniment to coffee is pie, but that's something other than intended by the person who started the thread. It's really not a "little treat".

I'm partial to biscotti of any variety, though I'll suffer through some sort of chocolate candy if I really have to - SKOR bars go amazingly well with coffee :smile: .

I've never tried Skor with coffee, which is odd because it was my favourite chocolate bar back home. But I can attest to Daim's (the Swedish equivalent of Skor) coffee friendliness. I buy the bags of mini Daims at Ikea and have learned to, as my coffee is brewing, dole out three candies from the bag and then to seal it and put it away. The putting away of the bag is very important, because if it remains within reach then I end up with a small mountain of red wrappers before my coffee is finished.

Otherwise, nothing beats biscotti. Boring but true.

Here's a question: do you adjust the sugar and milk/cream ratio to fit your coffee snack? I used to do that, using less sugar and more milk for sweet snacks. Until I realized that virtually all sweets go better with just plain milk than coffee!

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Interesting thread... I have never thought about eating anything with my coffee.

I am picky about my coffee and like it very strong and with half and half. That's it. My favorite cup is the one my DH brings to me first thing in the am. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Any kind of a cookie will do for me. I'm not keen on the plain digestive biscuit but Hobnobs are good. Of course, cannoli is good with coffee, or a napolean. A nice cappucino. Or cake. Cake is always good with coffee. Or pie. Ricotta pie! Biscotti. Pancakes. Chocolate chip pancakes. Waffles. Yeah, stroopwaffles (a coworker brought some of those in to the office one day, not realizing how they were supposed to be served!). Oh, now you've got me started.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Any kind of a cookie will do for me. I'm not keen on the plain digestive biscuit but Hobnobs are good. Of course, cannoli is good with coffee, or a napolean. A nice cappucino. Or cake. Cake is always good with coffee. Or pie. Ricotta pie! Biscotti. Pancakes. Chocolate chip pancakes. Waffles. Yeah, stroopwaffles (a coworker brought some of those in to the office one day, not realizing how they were supposed to be served!). Oh, now you've got me started.

I have experimented with making stroopwaffles several times, using various baking irons for sugar waffles, etc.

I have not had much success getting the recipe correct. I haven't been able to find a true recipe for the snack and I have absolutely no idea how they are able to split them into two layers.

Every result is either too delicate, crumbles easily, or the filling causes the waffles to become soft and tough.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A chocolate or almond croissant, cinnamon roll, blueberry or corn muffin, strawberry tart, a slice of cheesecake...

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I like spicy cookies, like gingersnaps or molasses cookies the very best, they're awesome for dipping. I didn't think I much liked biscotti till I hit up the Italian bakery nearby, and now I'm hooked on those.

I'm also kind of into cheese and bread, myself. I like the salty sharpness of cheese and the chewiness of good bread, and how coffee sort of makes them both something moreish. In lieu of sharp cheddar and crusty chewy bread, a good chewy bagel, toasted with cream cheese is an excellent treat with coffee.

The best for me is New York Style crumb cake w/ coffee.

I wonder, if MILK were substituted, how many of what we chose for coffee would also be on your milk list ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Just what constitutes a New York Style crumb cake?

I am looking for a good cake to freeze.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It is equal to the best desert I make. Now you can only find something like it at, ye gads, Starbucks......and it is NOT what we use to be able to get in almost any deli in the City. This recipe, if you like cinnamon, vanilla, butter and CRUMBS, you must try it. And on a scale of 1-10 of difficulty, 10 being the highest, for you Darienne, its a -1 :wink:

NY_Crumb_cakeII.jpg

If you or anyone would like it be a pleasure to share my recipe.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

It freezes well. We cut it into single serving size, (hahahah whatever that means cause I'll just eat two if one is not enough) & freeze all the time. I eat it frozen, the crumbs still perfect, but the cake tastes better 20 minutes after taking out.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

I think Darienne likes a little kiss with her coffee.

I like that Fran's Chocolates serves a wrapped square of dark chocolate with their drinks. A little treat for later.

But pretty much any unexpected treat wins my approval. Especially hand made.