• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Metropolitan Food Market Report - Las Vegas edition

I thought it would be a great idea for eGulleteers to make threads of their favorite markets and grocery stores. My reasoning is somewhat selfish. Next time I travel, I think it would be excellent to be able to punch up a listing of all the best markets. That's what I like to do on vacation -- buy great food, cook it (when applicable) and eat. I hope this helps many do the same.

I'll start what I hope will become a useful database. The Las Vegas Metropolitan area, comprising Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson and Summerlin. I will not rate these in any order. Just an address, phone, website, and what they specialize in. I will include my shopping experiences in these stores, but it is just my opinion.

Market 168

3459 S Jones Blvd (Chinatown)

Las Vegas, NV 89146

(702) 363-5168

no website

This is my go-to pan-Asian grocery. This is also my go-to for fish. It is my opinion that this store sells the best fish in town. They certainly sell the best lobsters -- fairly cheap (I usually buy four-pounders for $8 per pound). Shrimp, crabs and clams are sold live at reasonable prices. In addition, there are usually 20 varieties of whole fish for sale. Walk a little past the fish counter for pre-portioned fish for sushi -- always reasonably priced, but probably frozen at one time.

In the meat department, this store has one of the better selections of tripe and offal. But I would not shop here for steaks or chicken -- there are better stores for "normal" cuts of meat.

They also have a good produce section which includes the usual assortment of sprouts, ginger, fruits, lemongrass and even durian. "Normal" vegetables like onions and potatoes are better purchased at the Latin markets.

There is a nice little on-site lunch counter that sells excellent duck and noodles. They have recently added a bakery. I haven't tried it.

ALSO -- In this same plaza is Jones Market and Deli -- the largest Russian market in town. Good caviar at shocking prices, the cheapest gourmet coffee in town, and a dozen excellent cheap beers. Also excellent bread.

Nearby is the largest Halal meat market -- 6020 Spring Mountain Rd

International Marketplace

5000 S Decatur Blvd (near Chinatown)

Las Vegas, NV 89118

(702) 889-2888

My favorite market in all Las Vegas. They sell all ethnic specialties. Mentally running down the aisles, there are sections for: Moroccan, North African, Lebanese, Turkish, Greek, Italian, German, Eastern European, British, Scandinavian, South East Asian, Chinese and Japanese. There is a smattering of other cultures stuff tucked away -- often in odd places. For instance, Dutch foods are in the Indonesian section (because it was once a colony, and there are more Indonesians than Dutch in Las Vegas).

They also have an excellent fish department, decent produce, and a frozen food section in the center of the store that is worth a VERY LONG look.

This is where I buy bones for marrow and for stock. They also have all manner of tripe and offal. Just as good as 168 Market, perhaps better.

This place is unparalleled in their depth of Asian snack foods. I sometimes shop here JUST for the Japanese crispy snacks -- Pretz, Pocky, chips, you name it. I love this place for the snacks. The fact I can buy a Cornish pastie and garnish it with Thomy mustard in a toothpaste tube is icing on the cake.

But beware -- there are some real dogs here. The lamb is almost always freezer burnt. They'll sell frozen crab so old it resembles a mummified Discovery Channel subject. Also, read the ingredients on sausages, as much of it is loaded with MSG. Most meats and sausages can be purchased at Village Meat and Deli, fresh, for the same price.

And beware -- this is a "membership" store. Prices are 10% more unless the shopper purchases a $10 yearly membership. Seeing as I don't walk through the doors without expecting to spend at least a C-note, no big deal.

There is a nice little hole-in-the-wall Chinese lunch stand attached to the market, selling Hong Kong comfort food, cheap.

Village Meat and Wine

5025 S Eastern Avenue

Las Vegas, NV 89119

(702) 736-7575

http://www.villagemeatandwine.com/

This is the place for USDA prime beef. I'll save a few bucks on Rib-Eye purchasing Prime at Costco occasionally. But if I want a prime cut for carpaccio, or wagyu or even Kobe, this is where I go. They also have the best sausages in town -- made fresh on site. Why they don't make rillets or confit, I don't know. So I wouldn't call them a proper charcutiere. I wish they would get rid of the wines and cigars and devote themselves to snouts and livers.

This is also where I buy my Minor's base, Devonshire cream, horseradish and truffles. They have a lot of other stuff there, but I can usually find better prices.

Molto Vegas Farmer's Market

7485 Dean Martin Drive Suite #106

Las Vegas, NV, 89139

Thursday only 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (non-trade not allowed to shop until 11 a.m.)

This is hit-or-miss. When this little outpost for California farmers is on, it's ON. But sometimes there's not a lot of variety, pretty much as expected for a farmer's market. Prices are no bargain, but who can blame the vendors -- who drive 200 to 500 miles one-way to sell here every Thursday.

This is another venue that I hope takes off. It's good to get the fresh California produce here, if only two hours a week.

Valley Cheese and Wine

1770 W Horizon Ridge Pkwy

Suite 110

Henderson, NV 89012

(702) 341-8191

www.valleycheeseandwine.com

I would call this place first before driving here. I don't shop here often. But when I do, I'm usually the only person in the store. I'm always afraid I'm going to pull in and they're going to be shuttered. I do hope this store hangs on.

This is the only place in Las Vegas to buy real Iberian jamon. It's expensive, but who cares? It's cheaper than a plane ticket to Spain. Also some interesting balsamics, oils and pastas. But I rarely buy, because I can do much better on the Internet. I really, really, really want to shop here more often, because I love what they sell. But most of their non-perishables are so expensive, I cannot bring myself to buy them.

Aladdin Market

Ste 6, 1775 East Tropicana Avenue

Las Vegas, NV 89119-6556

(702) 262-0000

www.aladdinmarketvegas.com

A nice North African and pan-Arab market. I shop here often.

Cafe Heidelberg

610 E Sahara Ave, Ste 2

Las Vegas, NV 89104

(702) 731-5310

A small selection of good German sausages, cheese and bread. Worth a stop if you're on Sahara anyway.

The Latin Markets

Google the store name to find the closest

The main Latin markets are named King Ranch, Mercado Pueblo, El Super and Liberio. They are almost interchangeable. Although it's better to find one that proudly proclaims it's a tortilleria -- the chips and tortillas will be fresher that way.

King Ranch and Liberio have the best produce sections -- and great prices. For instance, I routinely get 10 pounds of potatoes for $1. Similar prices on onions, garlic and limes. These stores put out a flier every Wednesday advertising ridiculously low prices on some staple item for one day only. I pay close attention to these fliers.

The American Supermarkets

Google the store name to find the closest

I'm partial to Smith's supermarket. For me, at least, Smith's seems to the best best bang for the buck on the sorts of things I tend to buy.

Other supermarkets:

Food 4 Less -- they seem to sell more packaged food and less fresh. At least near my house. I rarely shop here.

Albertson's -- Just too damned expensive.

Fresh & Easy -- Why, why, why didn't UK-based Tesco simply open up a chain of Tescos in America? I love Tesco. I hate Fresh & Easy. It makes Albertson's look reasonable, and doesn't sell any of the foods I loved when I shop at Tesco.

Costco and Sam's Club -- I prefer Costco to Sam's, so that's the membership card in my pocket. I buy the following at Costco:

* Coffee (They are currently selling 3 pounds of whole-bean Rwandan for less than $5 a pound)

* USDA Prime Ribeyes -- when I like the marbling, I spend the $10/pound for the prime

* Farm raised steelhead trout -- I prefer it to farm raised salmon. I make gravlax with it.

* Mussels -- if the sell-by date is far off and they don't smell like anything.

* Some produce

* Parmesan cheese, pine nuts and pistachios

Smart & Final is the local restaurant supply store. This is a good place to pick up a wet-packed beef tenderloin, a big pot of dijon mustard, 10-pounds of frozen chicken wings and other bulk items.

I always buy plastic wrap and aluminum foil here. I cannot abide paying grocery-store prices for tin-foil.

OK, that's installment one. Las Vegans, please add and amend. I hope that people in other metropolitan areas feel inspired to write up their own market reports.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

You're welcome.

I just hope the next installment is titled: The Great Metropolitan Food Market Report - San Francisco edition. That's where I tend to go on vacation. :wink:

I completely forgot to mention (and it's apparently too late to edit):

Whole Foods

100 S. Green Valley Pkwy

Henderson, NV 89052

(702) 361-8183

There are three others -- South, Northwest and Summerlin. Google them.

I think most people should know the inventory and prices of a Whole Foods. While "great value" and "Whole Foods" is largely contradictory, there are some items in Las Vegas where they're the best bang for the buck such as:

Bulk grains and rices -- particularly arborio and sushi rice

Proscuitto and panchetta

Specialty dairy, such as my beloved Delitia butter

They're also #2 for quality meats, behind Village Meat and Wine. They have a better beer selection than most local liquor stores.

Wine, however, is best purchased at...

Trader Joe's

2716 N Green Valley Pkwy

Henderson, NV 89014

(702) 433-6773

Decatur and Summerlin locations, too. Google them.

Again, people here should probably know what Joe's sells. I shop here primarily for wine. I buy almost no food here because I can get the same stuff for less elsewhere.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

My mother-in-law had me take her to a newish Asian supermarket on Spring Mountain. So I have an update:

SF Las Vegas Supermarket

4801 Spring Mountain Road

Las Vegas, NV 89102

(702) 221-8788

This used to be an Albertson's. And the easiest way to find it is to look for the Big Lots! store next door. The only western letters on the large building read Truong Phan (or is it Truong Phat? I don't remember.)

This store is larger and brighter than any of the other Las Vegas Asian markets. There is also more room in between the aisles. It's more like an American supermarket in that respect.

The produce department is smaller than 168 Market, but the prices and quality are a little better -- at least today when I bought bok choy and sprouts.

The fish department is smaller than 168 as well -- and no convenient sashimi packages. For instance, when I went to 168 this morning, in the live tank section, they were offering two grades of dungeness, king crab, lobster, shrimp, a dozen species of fish, three types of clams and oysters. The live section of SF had half the variety, but the exact same prices.

Where SF shines is the non-perishables. They have a huge snack aisle, an entire aisle devoted to tea, and another just for spices. Prices are the same as 168 and International Market, or a little less.

Based on this initial experience, SF market will be added to my usual rotation.

Jones Market and Deli

3389 S Jones Boulevard

Las Vegas, NV 89146

(702) 367-4345

This place really deserves more info than I gave it earlier.

This is a Russian and Eastern European market, with a smattering of Greek stuff thrown in for good measure.

Excellent bread and lavash can be had here for very little money. A good Russian brown bread will set you back three dollars. They also sell Lithuanian 82%-fat butter to go along with the bread. There is a nice selection of 500ml Russian, Polish and Slovakian beers for $2 each. I always buy a few on my way out.

There is a good assortment of phyllo, yogurt and goat's milk products here. As mentioned earlier, if you have the dosh, this place has beluga caviar. They also carry osetra and salmon roe, along with some Russian and Greek caviar spreads.

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread, arise!

An update. King Ranch Market has changed its name to Marketon.

Their new slogan is "Save a TON at MarkeTON." As can be inferred by that calamity of a slogan, Marketon is now the worst market in Las Vegas. They tried to go mainstream, and removed the tortillas and chips and other Latin flair that made King Ranch a good place to shop. BOO HISS!

The Cuban market Liborio has fallen on hard times, and has shuttered two of their three locations. The last location no longer sells the "trash bag full of awesome tortilla chips for $4." Not that tortilla chips are particularly Cuban, but Liborio for some reason made the best. A travesty, really.

If I'm not mistaken, Mercado Pueblo has closed completely. They only had a couple locations. And it was the most "ethnic" of the Latin markets -- a good thing, in my opinion.

A new Latin Market called El Super has opened a couple stores. They have a lively bakery (no chips like King Ranch and Liborio used to do, though). Generally excellent prices on produce. Occasionally "giveaway" prices on some meats, but usually only one weekday.