• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Indian Style...

Anu

Not tried and true, but I'm doing an aloo chaat for my contribution to my family's thanksgiving dinner (we've got a couple of English vegetarians with a hankering for Indian food). I'll post with a post-dinner report on Thursday or Friday.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

funny, I thought this topic was about American Indian Thanksgiving. You know like the one the Mayflower people celebrated.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Corn and Turkey? That's so pre-post-modern, Jason :cool:

In seriousness, my family's thanksgivings have always been open to experimentation - this is my first year cooking anything more complex than cranberry sauce for a holiday.

I don't know if there are many Native American recipe books around, but it'd be interesting to start a thread on them somewhere else - I'll go hop onto the cooking thread.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Not tried and true, but I'm doing an aloo chaat for my contribution to my family's thanksgiving dinner (we've got a couple of English vegetarians with a hankering for Indian food).  I'll post with a post-dinner report on Thursday or Friday.

Not that you asked... But I am posting my recipe for Aloo Chaat.

Looking forward to reading about how you make it...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours rstarobi. :smile:

WARM POTATO SALAD

Aloo Chaat

Serves 4

This is Delhi street food at its best. You’d buy it from a vendor selling made-to-order snacks (“chaats”) from a cart stocked with a variety of prepared foods that he tosses together at the whim of the customer. It would be plated on a large, dried leaf with a toothpick as a utensil. According to your specification, the vendor would add more or less of one of the chutneys, more or less spice and hot chili.

I often serve aloo chaat at parties as one of several appetizers. It also makes a good lunch, with an egg; if you find yourself eating it that way, count on serving only two from this recipe. Traditionally this is made with “chaat masala”, a rather complex spice mixture, but I’ve simplified the recipe by omitting it and adjusting the quantities of chutneys to compensate.

1 1/2 pounds (about 4) red boiling potatoes

3 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons Green Chutney (page 000)

2 tablespoons Tamarind Chutney (page 000)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 fresh, hot green chili, chopped (optional)

1 teaspoon ground toasted cumin

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon garam masala (page 000)

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Juice of 1/2 lemon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Simmer the potatoes in water to cover until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Chill, then peel and cut into 1-inch cubes.

2. Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook, covered, turning the potatoes with a spatula every 3 or 4 minutes, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

3. Put the potatoes in a bowl with all of the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Serve hot or at room temperature.