• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Well meaning owners who create problems

Mano

I’m not talking about bat-shit crazy owners who scream at staff in front of a full house, or someone delusional who chats up customers about the gun in his sock to protect himself from his enemies who want to steal the $100,000 he gave to his brother for safe keeping in Mexico.

I mean owners who make things worse by getting in the way of their staff.

Without checking the reservations, one owner told us the wait without reservations was 15 minutes. Twenty minutes later, the hostess said it would be at least another 45 minutes as they were booked full with reservations.

When the power went off at one of his restaurants, another owner sent people with reservations to his other place, one half the size, 15 minutes away as he wanted to keep customers. He didn’t pay attention when told they were already packed.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

On the flip side of your second example, we were once in a restaurant after dark when the power went off in the whole town, including streetlights. The restaurant owner, knowing we had walked to dinner, insisted on driving us back to where we were staying.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This reminds me of when I was a folksinger and people used to complain how crazy some clubowners were.

Don't you have to be a little, at the least, out of the ordinary to go into certain professions in the first place?

Jim Chevallier

http://www.chezjim.com

Austrian, yes; queen, no:

August Zang and the French Croissant: How Viennoiserie came to France