• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants Lancaster - Manchester

Does anyone know any good restaurants in or around Lancaster? I can only think of the Highwayman Inn in Burrow, which is more pub than restaurant but I know they make good food. I cannot, for the life of me think of anywhere.

I'm currently working in a kitchin in Lake District but am steadily growing depressed of living away from my friends and family to the point of becoming quite unhappy in my life. Also not loving working there because one of the chefs is a ****!

Manchester is also an option. I'm at catering college but don't think I'm getting the support at work, so if anyone well connected knows of any decent, supportive chefs in Manchester it'll be progress. Cheers!

How about the Bay Horse at Forton, again a pub, but I had a very decent lunch there a couple of years ago. Certainly worth a visit and pretty close to Lancaster.

Also Hipping Hall just outside Kirkby Lonsdale (Not been there myself and its recently had a change of chef but its still in the GFG).

Yes the bay horse is good. Best pub in town for food is the wagon and horses down by the quay. Bit further out of town towards Kendal, Wheatsheaf at Bentham and Strickland Arms are both good. In and around Lancaster is'nt great for restaurants, the plough at lupton is lloking for staff i believe, not opened yet, just off j36 of the M6, so about 20mins from Lancaster.