• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omni Shoreham Hotel in D.C

Living in NYC, I don't know what everyone else's parameters are for walking, but less than 1 mile away (according to mapquest) and right on Connecticut are 2 very good, and quite different, restaurants.

The first is Dino (click), a fine Italian restaurant with an excellent wine list and reasonable prices to match. If you call and speak to the proprietor, he's likely to put together a special meal just for your group.

Second is Nam-Viet (click), excellent Vietnamese food in a much more casual setting.

They are also only 1 metro stop away.

And even closer, walking east over the park, is Cashion's Eat Place (click), still ranking high 15 years after opening.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Dino and Nam-Viet are a *long* walk uphill. (There are other very worthwhile restaurants in Cleveland Park as well, most notably Palena.) Cashion's, in Adams-Morgan, also is too long a walk, imho.

The Woodley Park area, where the Omni Shoreham is located, has the excellent New Heights, literally down the street from the hotel. I'd go there.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

One of the great ironies of Woodley Park (where the Omni is located) is that the presence of two immense hotels seems to have doomed the neighborhood to the type of restaurant that unadveturous tourists and business travelers prefer. You would do well to ignore most of what you see on Connecticut Avenue as you approach -- it will only disappoint you.

New Heights is indeed the obvious go-to. Regarding the others, it depends on what your definition of "long" is. I like all those mentioned, and while I wouldn't business entertain at Nam-Viet, I would eat their curried squid. My last meal at Palena was breathtakingly good; Dino is less formal but good, hearty eating.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.