• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavorful Pork

Shel_B

Hi,

I'm looking to make some chile verde using pork, and would like to know the group's suggestions for a rich, flavorful pork. I've tried Niman Ranch but am not that satisfied with it. It's OK, but the depth of flavor is not as good as some other pork I've tried at some restaurants and foodie places. Unfortunately, I didn't ask what they were serving and it's going to be hard recalling just which places had the tasty pork.

Also, what about using wild boar? I can get boar meat in several forms and was thinking that, if boar is acceptable, perhaps the stew meat would be a good choice. Comments.

Thanks for any help,

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

The wild boar meat should work fine. I've had it before and it's quite good in a stew or braised, it's a meat that from my experience needs to be cooked for quite a while to become tender. Its flavor is a little stronger than pork but really it should be quite good in chili. I might have to try it sometime myself.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The wild boar meat should work fine. I've had it before and it's quite good in a stew or braised, it's a meat that from my experience needs to be cooked for quite a while to become tender. Its flavor is a little stronger than pork but really it should be quite good in chili. I might have to try it sometime myself.

Broken Arrow Ranch in TX has some boar recipes and cooking suggestions. I've only skimmed the information, so your comments are most welcome. Thanks!

... Shel

The best pork I've eaten came from a farmer who raised Tamworths. Whether the exceptional flavor was the breed or how the pigs were raised, I don't know.

I'll look into the breed and the quality of their meat. I can never remember the breed names and their general qualities. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

... Shel