• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Luxembourg

baruch

A recent experience there a couple of months ago was not so good. Service was utterly poor - granted it was later in the evening (9:30 -10), but we were completely ignored by servers who were into their own conversations and messing around. I'm all for people enjoying life and having fun at work, but it was as if we didn't exist and had to beg for menus and the check, let alone water or bread refills, etc. Had oysters which were terrible and seemed a bit off after sampling one - no apologies, just taken of the bill. I then had a skate wing special; this was acceptable with a buttery, tangy, citrusy remoulade (if that its the right word), but not really special in any way. Seemed overpriced for what was served. Atmosphere was fun, people were there for drinks and to hang out and to eat - seemed like lots of regulars especially at the bar. Can't recall the wine list, sorry, we had a middling Cote du Rhone by the glass.

All in all, I'd probably give it another shot, especially with a group of people interested in drinks first and some food to go with it, maybe. I suspect we caught them on a (very) off night and I didn't hate the place.

Hope this helps

Funny, I rode by there last week and wondered the same thing. Damian's experience doesn't surprise me. It's a nice place to go for a drink and appetizers, but i'd hesitate before making dinner plans there. With Picholine, Ouest, etc. there is no crying need for it.

BTW I understand that Martell's is opening a west side branch on Columbus between 83-84th, next to Jackson Hole. Is Martell's a steak house?

We still go there every now and then, but usually for Luxemburgers rather than other items on the menu. Good burger, not so good bun. We try to go early and the service is acceptible.

For a step up in dining, there's Compass a few steps to the West.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Went there for drinks and munchies after a macys degustibus class a few weeks ago. It seems like a big bar scene. I saw a lot of burgers going by. I had some stuffed artichokes and calamari. Good bar scene and eye candy if your into it.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

thank those who responded. thought there would be more due to cafe lux's amazing popularity, longevity, as well as an actors' designation spot, but guess egulleteers not as familar as 1 would have thought.

p.s. was not a martell's thread