• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comin' to NOLA March 2010

Kim Shook

Looking for a little guidance on our upcoming trip to NOLA. We are arriving very late Thursday night 3/19 (staying at the Place d'Armes), so we've got Saturday, Sunday, Monday and a partial day on Tuesday (we have to be at the airport by 3pm-ish). Below is the itenerary we've put together. We have made reservations for Luke and Cochon, but we're open to suggestions. If you notice that we're going to be in an area and have missed something there, I'd be happy to hear about it. I've never been and Mr. Kim has only been once on business, so he didn't get to do too much.

Saturday

French Quarter walking tour (from a guidebook)- including:

French Market

Boutique du Vampyre

Maskarade

Collectible Antiques

Lucullus Antiques

Leah's Candy

Marie Laveau's

Voodoo Authentica

Historic NOLA Collection

Lunch @ Galatoire's

Try Central Grocery for 2nd lunch :rolleyes: .

8:30 Dinner at Luke

Music on Frenchman's Street

Sunday - Mid City/Esplanade - Day of the Dead :laugh:

Canal St. streetcar to Cypress Grove and Greenwood Cemetaries

City Park - Storyland and Train Garden

St. Louis Cemetary #3

Lunch at Parkway

Gelato at Angleo Brocato's

Back to the Quarter

Acme or Felix's for dinner

Monday - Garden District & Magazine Street

Breakfast at Surrey's

St. Alphonsus and St. Mary's Churches

Garden District walking tour

Magazine Street including:

Aux Belles Choses

Sucre

Lunch at Casamento's (maybe)

La Boulangerie

Dinner at Cochon

Tuesday - airport at 3pm

Breakfast at Elizabeth's

Cake Cafe

Ferry to Algiers Point

Mardi Gras World - if time permits

Central Groc. if not done before

Lunch at Willie Mae's on the way to the airport, if time permits

Thanks so much in advance!

Sounds very doable. French Quarter sites and sounds could include Kitchen Witch, 631 Toulouse, for a selection of out of print cookbooks. Other options in the same general area as Luke on that level would be Domenica, A Mano, or Rio Mar (Herbsaint also, but you are already going to Cochon). There are some good options Uptown if you are interested. In general terms since you are in the Quarter, Stanley makes a good breakfast, (and lunch too) and Croissant D'or is good for a morning pastry and coffee.

The sculpture garden in the Park is worth a look(next to the museum), (if its open). Also, there is a cafe in the Park (Parkview Cafe), which I am afraid to say I haven't been too as yet, but they have shrimp po'boys and such, worth a peek anyway in case you get short on time. Parkway is getting hugely popular, so getting there early or late can help. Still worth going at anytime though. Can't really recommend Acme or Feliz's for anything other than raw oysters. You could go to Green Goddess, its different. Speak up if you want ideas.

The other garden district breakfast option would be Coulis, which is better if you want something in the eggs benedict vein, Surrey's is great for homemade bagels, fresh juices, and simple egg dishes. But Surrey's makes for a good jumping off point for the tour.

I believe Casamento's is closed Mondays, but other Garden District lunch options would be Mahoney's, very good po-boys, Steins Deli, Gott Gourmet, Guy's, or Joey K's, all of which are good. Or you could go fancy and eat at Coquette, and of course Commanders is right there also.

I am trying to remember whether the riverfront streetcar runs all the way down to Mardi Gras World, if not take a cab, its a long walk. Have fun. ch

Excellent, excellent eating choices. You have really done your homework.

Just a few things – might want to scratch Felix’s. If you go there, stick to the oysters on the half shell. For an alternate dinner place, if you haven't had Drago's charbroiled oysters, they are fabulous. The original location is in Metairie, but the Hilton Riverside has a Drago's restaurant there, and it's fantastic. Make reservations because it can be a long wait. If you find yourself there without reservations, tell the hostess that you're a guest at the hotel and you will be seated quickly.

Regarding Cochon, my friends and I consider that to be a lunch place. It’s nice, and the food is good, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in any case.

Casamento's is hard to get into because it's so small. Tried to eat there this past Friday. They close at 2:00, and we got there at 1:30 thinking lines would be gone. Nope. Also, they're not open at all on Monday, so you'll have to do it another day. We went to a little new place a couple blocks from there on Magazine -- Ignatious. That place won't blow you away with great food. :hmmm:

I hope you have a great time!!!

Rhonda

Thank you both! I really appreciate the info. We are flexible and I knew that we needed more meal options (we were a little skimpy on breakfast places). I really welcome any and all ideas - we'll just sift through and do/eat/see what we have time for. My original list had 25 places to eat on it!

saturnbar – Thanks for the great info. What/what/who is ‘Stanley’s’? I couldn’t find it in my books or online. Thanks for the sculpture garden tip – the park really sounds great – I’ve added it to our itinerary. I couldn’t find Mahoney’s either, do you have an address? I appreciate the ideas for along Magazine. I figured that there would be a large amount of choices and it’s nice to have it narrowed down!

Rhonda – Felix is scratched. Dragos sounds wonderful, but unfortunately it is closed on Sunday (how bizarre is it that a hotel restaurant is closed ANY day?) and if I try to juggle any more of our days around my tiny little head will explode. But I will keep it on the list of “try to get to” places, so if we find the time, we’ll try it. The charbroiled oysters sound like my kind of food.

Maybe it is part of your French Market tour, but Cafe du Monde for chicory coffee and beignets either first thing in the morning or last thing at night - or both. Lines get long in the morning if you are not there early. If you have a car, there are less crowds and more locals at Morning Call in Metarie.

Only one second lunch?

A nice morning jaunt is the St. Charles streetcar to the Camellia Grill, diner like with linen napkins and New Orleans style.

My approach to New Orleans is to eat like you will never return again - at least a couple of times a year.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Maybe it is part of your French Market tour, but Cafe du Monde for chicory coffee and beignets either first thing in the morning or last thing at night - or both. Lines get long in the morning if you are not there early. If you have a car, there are less crowds and more locals at Morning Call in Metarie.

Only one second lunch?

A nice morning jaunt is the St. Charles streetcar to the Camellia Grill, diner like with linen napkins and New Orleans style.

My approach to New Orleans is to eat like you will never return again - at least a couple of times a year.

Sir, you cut me to the quick! Of course there will be second lunches every day and snacks and midnight beignet jaunts! We figure in a place like NOLA, those things we can leave to chance and our noses. We won't have a car, but our hotel is very near Cafe du Monde, I'll be running down there everytime I need to get out of the room and have a cigarette. Maybe I should do my makeup there in the morning :raz: . I'm not sure about fitting in the Camellia Grill, but I'll put it on the list. Do you know their days/hours?

Here's a link to the Camellia Grill on my site. Hours are there. Did I mention they have syrup pourers full of melted butter along the counter?

With no car Elizabeth's may be a problem. Pretty far out of the French Quarter.

Have a Lucky Dog for me.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Here's a link to the Camellia Grill on my site. Hours are there. Did I mention they have syrup pourers full of melted butter along the counter?

With no car Elizabeth's may be a problem. Pretty far out of the French Quarter.

Have a Lucky Dog for me.

Thanks, Holly! Their website is under construction, so I appreciate the link. I should have thought of your site! We just didn't want the bother of a car, so we know that we'll probably spend nearly as much on taxi fares as we would have on renting a car!

Thanks for the links, saturnbar!

Ok - we leave tomorrow evening and here's the 'final' schedule:

Place d'Armes Hotel

Saturday

French Quarter B'fast places -

Stanley

Croissant D'Or

French Quarter walking tour including:

French Market

Boutique du Vampyre

Maskarade

Collectible Antiques

Lucullus Antiques

Leah's Candy

Marie Laveau's

Voodoo Authentica

Historic NOLA Collection

Kitchen Witch (used cookbooks)

Lunch @ Galatoire's (open at 11:30)

Try Central Grocery for 2nd lunch

8:30 Dinner at Luke

Music on Frenchman's Street

Cafe du Monde - 24 hours

Sunday - Mid City/Esplanade - Day of the Dead :wink:

Canal St. streetcar to Cypress Grove and Greenwood Cemetaries

City Park - Storyland and Train Garden and Sculpture Garden

St. Louis Cemetary #3

Lunch at Parkway

Pandora's Sno-Ball?

Back to the Quarter

Acme for dinner (?)

Monday - Garden District & Magazine Street

Breakfast at Surrey's

St. Alphonsus and St. Mary's Churches

Garden District walking tour

Magazine Street including:

Aux Belles Choses

Sucre

Magazine St. Lunch place recommendations:

Mahony's

Stein's

Gotts

Joey K's

La Boulangerie

Dinner at Cochon

Tuesday - airport at 3pm

Breakfast at Elizabeth's

Cake Cafe

Ferry to Algiers Point

Mardi Gras World - if time enough

Central Groc. if not done before

Lunch at Willie Mae's on the way to the airport, if time enough

Try to Get To:

Dragos Restaurant - Hilton Riverbend

Camellia Grill

Thank you all so much for all your help and advice. I'll post a report as soon as I get back and get organized!

Go early to Willie Mae's, otherwise you may have a long wait. I believe they open at 11AM.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

kayb and doc - I'm really pulling for it!

saturnbar - we do have ideas for Saturday - we might go to an early dinner AND a late dinner. We are kind of leaving it open - so we can decide ala minute! But recommendations are ALWAYS welcome! I'll check back one more time about 5pm before we leave for the airport, if you want to add anything. Thank you!

I didn't love Stanley, but others have, and it's conveniently located for you, so it could be worth a shot...

I otherwise like your list. Elizabeth's is worth the short cab ride up there, and while you're in the neighborhood, it's worth a quick wander around Dr Bob's compound. www.drbobart.net

A Parkway po-boy followed by Angelo Brocato's gelato is one of the most perfect lunches imaginable, so I'd consider slotting gelato back in the schedule, it's right nearby. If Parkway is busy, don't forget the bar, it's a perfectly comfortable spot to eat.

And for your saturday dinner, I'd consider Green Goddess. It's weird, but still very much based in Louisiana cooking. Also, I didn't find Herbsaint and Cochon to be all that redundant, the food is different enough that it's not like hitting the same place twice.

But you should also think about Brigtsen's, Clancy's, Dick and Jenny's, Lilette, and jeeze, August, Stella, Bayona, there are about a hundred more. Flip a coin!

Oh, and late in the afternoon on saturday, it's unlikely that there will be any Mufulettas left at Central Grocery, but it's worth a shot. You might also contemplate getting one, or several, to bring home. They travel well and somehow, magically, taste pretty good even several days later. They might actually get better...

Have a blast, and please report back!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Kim...when you have time, let us know how your trip went (and of course, how your meals were!).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver