• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minced Beef recipe ideas

I've got 500grams of minced beef to use for dinner for me and to have some left for another meal.

I've not been all that original with my minced beef cooking and have tended to either cook a bolognese/ragu sauce, a lasagne or a chili con carne. I've also done burgers and meat balls a couple of times.

I'd like to do something different and Mexican with it.

I'd love to see some ideas for what I should cook up.

I have a resonable amount of stuff in the store cupboard and plenty of onions, carrots, red pepper, chili, garlic and brocoli that can be used but a small supermarket is along the road from me if I need anything else. I've also got sour cream which I wouldn't normally have in stock as i'm using it for a banana and chocolate upside down cake i found a recipe for today.

any ideas please?

Tacos

Cottage/Shepherd's pie (not mexican, but really good!)

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've used it in enchiladas and empanadas before, though I prefer shredded post-cooking to minced in both of those. But sometimes you make do with what you've got. Bayless and Kennedy both have very good recipes for these. Or hell, the empanadas you could do without a recipe at all, saute some onion, add the beef, brown, add chili and garlic to taste, and use that as a filling.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

cheers for the response guys.

didn't end up reading it till I'd cooked something up.

Decided to make borrito's in the end which went down pretty well and made use of a bit of my sour cream.

marlene cottage pie is something i've had plenty of times but never actually made, must make it soon. Shepherds pie should use lamb mince rather than beef.

marlene cottage pie is something i've had plenty of times but never actually made, must make it soon. Shepherds pie should use lamb mince rather than beef.

everywhere else in the world but Canada. :laugh: I think everyone here calls it Shepherd's pie regardless. Anyway, I made cottage pie last night so it was on my mind.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.