• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Fran Dining Highlights

Patrick_O

Don't worry at all about where your hotel is; you are so far away from the the "ugly part of the Tenderloin" as to make it a non-issue. You are only a block or so away from Union Square and the Theater District, where HUNDREDS of well-dressed, well-to-do people are out walking. I am down in that area all the time at night and you will not have a problem whatsoever.

For lunch, I would heartily recommend Larkin Express Deli in the Tenderloin because it is so affordable and great food. Also a few blocks away for breakfast, I would recommend Brenda's Soul Food.

With three kids, you probably don't want to walk to the Mission because -- as therippa indicated, it is a 45- to 60-minute walk. There are good buses that will get you there and you walk it then.

The latest hot spot to consider for the Mission is Gracias Madres; small plates of Organic Mexican. I also think you should consider getting reservations for Mission Street Food; the floating restaurant that only serves on Thursday and Saturday evenings. That will be one of the best bargains you could get for dinner AND get great food. The menu changes weekly and it is a true San Francisco experience.

With three kids, you probably don't want to walk to the Mission because -- as therippa indicated, it is a 45- to 60-minute walk. There are good buses that will get you there and you walk it then.

You could also take the BART subway to 16th Street Mission or 24th Street Mission. The BART ride might be easier with kids. (A fast ride, cleaner, better chance of finding seats.) The MUNI buses are slower and sometimes crowded, though when I'm in SF, I take MUNI to watch people and the street scene.

You could also take the BART subway to 16th Street Mission or 24th Street Mission. The BART ride might be easier with kids. (A fast ride, cleaner, better chance of finding seats.) The MUNI buses are slower and sometimes crowded, though when I'm in SF, I take MUNI to watch people and the street scene.

Thanks for reminding me of that; even living here in the city, I tend to walk EVERYWHERE, just to get exercise and see new things. I live near J-Town and once a week, I walk to the Mission - sometimes via The Castro and sometimes through Tenderloin and Downtown. I only use BART to get to the East Bay...

I can't thank everyone enough for the incredible suggestions. That Burmese place is really just the kind of thing I was looking for. We also have a breakfast planned at Brenda's, luckily we will be very jetlagged and will probably be first in line.

Since we are going to make it to the farmer's market on Saturday does anyone have any recommendations for things we should eat or buy?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Since we are going to make it to the farmer's market on Saturday does anyone have any recommendations for things we should eat or buy?

I am big fan of Frog Hollow Farms' pastries; they make a leek and mushroom tart that I adore. Both savory and sweet... Literally across the way from Frog Hollow is Boulette's Larder; another place you should stop in at and, if you don't mind the wait, sit at their communal table (they make great fresh doughnuts!)

Boccalone has these Cones of Joy (my words); paper cones filled with sliced salumi products and I'm not sure you can get better than their mortadella.

For lunch, I would get some meat from Boccalone, some bread from Acme, some cheese from Cowgirl Creamy, some fruit from Frog Hollow, and a cannele from Boulette's Larder. Head out back and sit by the water.

• Like 1

Yum! to everything!

I was actually going to ask about doughnuts... I'm normally not a very big sweet eater (except for fruit pies) but the doughnut situation in Japan is awful and every now and then I get a craving.

Also, where do people go for cheap coffee? I tend to drink iced coffee all day long. I'm an East Coaster and when I'm back in the States I hit Dunkin Donuts almost daily for a coffee fix. Are there Dunkin Donuts around or something similar?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Dunkin Doughnuts is an East Coast thing and doesn't exist here. We are a land of Starbucks, Pete's, and local mom-and-pop joints. You can't throw a dead cat in this town and NOT hit some form of a coffeehouse.

I am currently exploring the joy of doughnuts on my new FriedDoughHo blog and the place I have not written up yet which is worthy of a visit is Dynamo in the Mission. Great coffee and "artisinal" doughnuts.