• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Fran Dining Highlights

Patrick_O

We are heading to San Fran for a week in May and want to experience the best of what the area has to offer in terms of food and wine. It doesn't have to be high end although we have been strongly recommended Coi and may also travel to Manresa based on recommedations from this side of the pond.

What we're really interested in are those hidden gems that only locals will know about but are really worth seeking out. I have never been to San Fran so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head, when people come here to visit me these are places I usually take them...

Cha-cha-cha on Haight St. - Best tapas and sangria in the city (you must order the cajun shrimp, deep fried new potatoes, and mushrooms) - http://www.cha3.com

Firefly - Sunday-Thursday prix fixe menu $35 for 3 courses, menu changes weekly, http://www.fireflyrestaurant.com/menu.html

Foreign Cinema - pretty well known but worth going to - http://www.foreigncinema.com

Chapeau! - wonderful french place - http://www.chapeausf.com/

Hey Patrick,

I recommend Coi - its quite an experience.

As for other places, I'd recommend a slightly different list than the rippa. I'd check out Nopalito (owned by the NOPA) folks. Its wonderful Mexican which I think would be a nice change of pace and a cuisine more difficult to get on your side of the pond.

Also, I love Delfina, its very San Francisco, knowledgeable, hipster waitresses, fabulous bread from Tartine Bakery, and don't miss the white bean/calamari appetizer.

Its also fun to explore the cocktail world of SF, you could hit Beretta for delightful cocktails and affordable and delicious dinner. Also, Slanted Door or Heavens Dog offers the killer cocktail/food combo.

And.... don't miss BiRite Creamery. Try the Salted Caramel. Its across the street from Delfina.

My input for cocktails, try Bourbon & Branch or Alembic. If going to B&B, be sure to make reservations so you can sit in the main room. If not, use the passowrd "Books" to get into the library (it's styled after a speakeasy and they won't let you in without a password)

I do LOVE Coi. It's one of my favorites in the city. The menu is a limited though, so make sure you check it out before you make reservations.

Another favorite is the Dining Room @ the Ritz. It's more of a splurge but totally worth it.

Here are some more favorites:

Contigo - great tapas

Starbelly - wonderful small plates and pizzas

Incanto - great for the more adventurous diners

Waterbar - not only does it serve up great seafood, there's a great view to match

Matterhorn - Swiss food; great fondues and other Swiss specialties

Ike's Place - IMHO, the best sandwiches in town

Kappou Gomi - fine Japanese food; salmon in miso butter broth (hotpot) is a must, along with an order of ramen to be cooked in the broth

Katana-Ya - no nonsense Japanese restaurant centrally located downtown; great for grabbing a quick bites, especially ramen

Farina - handkerchief pasta with pesto is one of the best pasta dish ever

Chouchou - my local French bistro with great food and service

Tony's Pizza Napoletana - if you like pizza, you must try this place; Tony has won many awards, beating out the Italians

Cafe Jacqueline - souffle only; expect a long dinner as Jacqueline lovingly prepares each souffle to order by hand - it's worth the wait

Amelie - my favorite wine bar with the best raviole with truffles; music is loud though

B44 - great Catalan food; fideau negre (noodle paella) is delicious

Couple more:

If you like offal, I would recommend Incanto (mostly Italian, with some dishes clearly influenced by St.Johns). Also, if you are up for a trip outside of San Francisco, try Cyrus in Healdsburg (better than Coi imho, similar molecular cooking.

Tony

I'm afraid that I am a Coi detractor. If you read through the entire Coi thread, my post from last year while dining with Ulterior Epicure had him loving it and me feeling pretty disappointed.

Patrick, you didn't state where you are coming from which, for me, has a great impact on what to recommend. There is no way I would suggest a Mexican restaurant to someone who is visiting from Los Angeles, for example. Way better down south.

What I will recommend because we seem to have cornered the market and no one else has mentioned is Burmese food. On a budget, you can't beat Larkin Express Deli near Union Square but if you want a fancier, slightly more expensive version (in a less shaky neighborhood), then you should definitely hit Burma Superstar.

Quite honestly, I don't know why anyone would recommend a French restaurant in San Francisco (note: NOT "San Fran"). Good French can be found in most major metropolitan cities and while our offerings are just fine (Fleur de Lys, Chapeau, et al), if you are only here for a few days, than I think there are better restaurants to try.

Aziza, for example; high-end, exceptional Moroccan in a haute cuisine presentation (no belly dancers, thank goodness!)

Annachan's recommendation on Kappou Gomi is spot on; the most AUTHENTIC Japanese in California (and I tend to recommend Japanese restaurants in Gardena over any in San Francisco). Exceptional and unusual.

SPQR for great Roman food.

And around town nibbles which are highly suggested:

Tartine bakery for breakfast foods, Bi-Rite creamery and/or Humphrey Slocumbe is a MUST for ice cream, and the Ferry Plaza on a Saturday morning.

Wow! Thank you all so much for the recommendations. Certainly some very interesting and diverse suggestions and exactly the sort of tips I was hoping for.

Coming from Ireland, I generally travel and eat in Europe and have some experience of east coast USA but no experience of San Francisco or surrounding areas.

I'm looking forward to melting pot of cultures and cuisines which appears to make SF such an intersting destination.

Patrick, that helps a lot! Do you eat oysters? When I was in Britain last year and loved how oysters from Ireland tastes so much different and you might want to consider tasting some from the West Coast (I recommend Swan's Oyster Bar).

Also, yes, you might want to consider some Mexican food in the Mission.

Definitely go to the Ferry Plaza on Saturday morning and just nosh your way through the whole place for breakfast and into lunch.

If you're looking for authentic Burmese, skip Burma Superstar. Little Yangon on the border of San Francisco and Daly City is where you want to go. The best time to go is on weekends since some of the specials are only available then. It's a total no thrill place but the food is spot on. Unlike Burma Superstar, which is filled with non Burmese customers, Little Yangon draws in the local Burmese folks.

For the best Mexican/South American around, go to the Alemany Farmer's Market on Saturday. The line is long at El Huarache Loco, but the Alambre taco (or Alambre anything) is so worth the wait. A few stands away, Estrellita's Snacks offers fresh, handmade pupusas. You can also pick up some plantain chips to snack on later. For something sweet, alfajores (shortbread cookies filled with dulce de leche) from Sabores del Sur is simply divine.

Go here, and eat meat and drink beer.

It's in the Ferry Terminal. As mentioned many times, the best time would be Saturday, when the farmer's market is still going.

In addition, Liguria Bakery on 1700 Stockton St. Grab some foccacia. Go here early in the morning. They sell out every day, and then close shop. Buy some foccacia and bring a bottle of wine. Climb nearby Telegraph Hill and watch the wild parrots and check out Coit tower.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

If you're looking for authentic Burmese, skip Burma Superstar. Little Yangon on the border of San Francisco and Daly City is where you want to go. The best time to go is on weekends since some of the specials are only available then. It's a total no thrill place but the food is spot on. Unlike Burma Superstar, which is filled with non Burmese customers, Little Yangon draws in the local Burmese folks.

I would normally agree, but a visitor from another country is unlikely to want to rent a car when this is such a walkable city. They are much better off going to Larkin Express Deli for Burmese since it is only a few blocks away from Union Square.

I prefer LIttle Yangon, but I would never recommend it to tourists as it involves so much travel time and a vehicle.

Has Zuni fallen from grace?

Yes. Well, mostly. It is just horrifically over-priced for what you get (a $50 chicken????) when there is so much better in the city for the price.

If I could jump in on this, I'm in SF right now on business and I have one night free for dining for personal pleasure on this trip which is tomorrow night. I want it to be something memorable but not overly fancy or stuffy. I'm staying in Hayes Valley but I'll be coming back on the Caltrain so anything in SOMA would also be good.

Any suggestions?

PS: I am a guy.

If I could jump in on this, I'm in SF right now on business and I have one night free for dining for personal pleasure on this trip which is tomorrow night. I want it to be something memorable but not overly fancy or stuffy. I'm staying in Hayes Valley but I'll be coming back on the Caltrain so anything in SOMA would also be good.

Any suggestions?

My first thought would be Zare at the Flytrap. Hoss Zare is one of those Middle Eastern chefs doing slightly upscale, California cuisine with a twist. I love his smoked trout and cucumber salad and I have had great solo meals dining at the bar and noshing my way through appetizers. Consider the lamb tongue...

Zare Menu

I would normally agree, but a visitor from another country is unlikely to want to rent a car when this is such a walkable city. They are much better off going to Larkin Express Deli for Burmese since it is only a few blocks away from Union Square.

I prefer LIttle Yangon, but I would never recommend it to tourists as it involves so much travel time and a vehicle.

Little Yangon is a little out of the way, but it does NOT require a vehicle. It's about 2-3 blocks from the Daly City BART station. The time it takes on BART from downtown SF to Daly City isn't any longer (probably less time) than taking MUNI to go from one end of SF to another.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I'm also looking for some good places to eat in the area. I've decided to stop off in San Francisco for 3 (more likely 4) days this July on my way to Cleveland. It will just be me and my 3 kids, ages 14, 12 and 9 and I'm planning on staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area (without a car) as this seems to be most central to everything we want to do on our first trip to this city. Unfortunately is also seems to be the most lacking in decent food...

I'm not looking for the very best the city has to offer, I'll save that for a trip without the kids but I am looking for some things that I can't get either in Tokyo or Cleveland. More specifically I'm wanting to eat Mexican or any Latin/South American cuisines and I am desperately searching for a banh mi sandwich. Any great bread/sandwich shops I would love to hear about as well.

Don't worry about recommending some place that you would consider mediocre, compared to what I can get either in Tokyo or Cleveland anything is appreciated. My only preferences are that they are within close distance to the Wharf (say 2 miles or so) and not in areas you would be uncomfortable/scared to take kids into.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I'm also looking for some good places to eat in the area. I've decided to stop off in San Francisco for 3 (more likely 4) days this July on my way to Cleveland. It will just be me and my 3 kids, ages 14, 12 and 9 and I'm planning on staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area (without a car) as this seems to be most central to everything we want to do on our first trip to this city. Unfortunately is also seems to be the most lacking in decent food...

I'm not looking for the very best the city has to offer, I'll save that for a trip without the kids but I am looking for some things that I can't get either in Tokyo or Cleveland. More specifically I'm wanting to eat Mexican or any Latin/South American cuisines and I am desperately searching for a banh mi sandwich. Any great bread/sandwich shops I would love to hear about as well.

Don't worry about recommending some place that you would consider mediocre, compared to what I can get either in Tokyo or Cleveland anything is appreciated. My only preferences are that they are within close distance to the Wharf (say 2 miles or so) and not in areas you would be uncomfortable/scared to take kids into.

If you happen to be here on a Saturday, go over to the Ferry Building in the morning to check out the farmer's market. You'll find a variety of good eats (some Mexican options) there at the market and inside the Ferry Building itself. It's a good, safe place to go with the kids.

Kristin ~ the best and most prolific Mexican and South American is found in the Mission district which is a little outside the 2-mile parameter, unfortunately. But, bear in mind, the entire city of San Francisco is really only about six miles from end-to-end, so the entire city is very easily accessible by a bus or two. The Mission is about 3.5 miles from the Wharf.

Also, the BEST ban minh in the city is Saigon Sandwich on Larkin, which is adjacent to the Tenderloin which some people are sketchy about walking through, but I have honestly never had any problems.

VERY near the Mission (less than six blocks) is Tartine bakery as well as Bi-Rite Ice Cream, which you should definitely try.

I've heard rumor of a few new sandwich shops so I'll get back to you on those.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally booked my trip and we will have 5 full days (Friday-Tuesday), our original plans were only for 3 days during the week so I'm excited we'll get to the Saturday market. I also booked the Hilton at Union Square so I'm interested in places in that area now, especially cheap breakfasts.

I know this hotel is right on the border of the tenderloin area, but how bad is it really? We aren't night people and I doubt we'll be outside of the hotel after 7pm anyway.

How far is the mission from this area? Is it walkable?

I've been doing some reading on yelp and am looking at a couple restaurants and I'd love some advice, whether it would be a particular dish to order or just to avoid the restaurant in general.

Don Pistos

Zarzuela

Theatre Too cafe

Siam Thai

Honey Honey Cafe (breakfast)

Dottie's True Blue Cafe (breakfast)

Ahn Hong (7 courses of beef)

Stone Korean Kitchen ($4 dishes during happy hour)

Good Mong Kok Bakery

Crepe House (breakfast)

Cafe Mason (breakfast)

Tanquito

Alioto's

In-N-Out Burger

We tend to travel mostly in Asia, so we really prefer restaurants that serve small dishes so we can order a whole bunch of things and share. Outside of breakfasts we rarely order one meal per person. I also don't really want to go over $50 for a meal, a couple times is fine but we have 14 meals to eat and it starts to add up. :rolleyes:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I finally booked my trip and we will have 5 full days (Friday-Tuesday), our original plans were only for 3 days during the week so I'm excited we'll get to the Saturday market. I also booked the Hilton at Union Square so I'm interested in places in that area now, especially cheap breakfasts.

I know this hotel is right on the border of the tenderloin area, but how bad is it really? We aren't night people and I doubt we'll be outside of the hotel after 7pm anyway.

How far is the mission from this area? Is it walkable?

I've been doing some reading on yelp and am looking at a couple restaurants and I'd love some advice, whether it would be a particular dish to order or just to avoid the restaurant in general.

Don Pistos

Zarzuela

Theatre Too cafe

Siam Thai

Honey Honey Cafe (breakfast)

Dottie's True Blue Cafe (breakfast)

Ahn Hong (7 courses of beef)

Stone Korean Kitchen ($4 dishes during happy hour)

Good Mong Kok Bakery

Crepe House (breakfast)

Cafe Mason (breakfast)

Tanquito

Alioto's

In-N-Out Burger

We tend to travel mostly in Asia, so we really prefer restaurants that serve small dishes so we can order a whole bunch of things and share. Outside of breakfasts we rarely order one meal per person. I also don't really want to go over $50 for a meal, a couple times is fine but we have 14 meals to eat and it starts to add up. :rolleyes:

The tenderloin isn't that bad when people are still out and about, and your hotel is in a safe neighborhood. The mission isn't really within walking distance (unless you enjoy a good 45 minute/1 hour walk), but you are close to public transportation and you could always take a taxi there for about $10 including tip.