• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine or Beer?

Gail CDM

What do I serve with Hamburgers, Baked Beans, Broccoli Slaw and Pecan Pie -- Wine or Beer?

Please also add what kind you would serve. If you have a favorite brand please also list that. My beer experience is limited...it's been too long since I indulged.

I'd try a smoother beer like a Pilsner, not something too bitter that would conflict with the flavours. Or if they're more wine drinkers maybe a Pinot. With these simple foods you don't want the beverage to be too contrasting.

I'd try a smoother beer like a Pilsner, not something too bitter that would conflict with the flavours. Or if they're more wine drinkers maybe a Pinot. With these simple foods you don't want the beverage to be too contrasting.

Quoting Tony Bourdain "I suggest serving this dish with french fries and a staggeringly expensive bottle of Burgundy in cheap glasses. Just to show them who's their daddy."

He was talking about côte de boeuf, but it's still a fun quote.

Actually I'd serve beer -- and if you want a beer that goes with beef, baked beans, slaw and dessert, I'd say IPA. Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale. You'll need something to cut through the sugar in the beans and pie, and still play well with the red meat and slaw. This is bitter compared to most beers -- but pleasantly bitter. You can test out my advice -- try one with a to-go order of your favorite fast food burger and one of their desserts. I think you'll be happy with the selection.

If "pie" wasn't on the menu and "beans" was replaced with "pomme frites", Chimay Bleu. This is no beer for sweets -- but this is THE beer to pair with beef, frite and really funky cheese. If your local doesn't sell Bleu, you could go with one of the Quebec Unibroue beers -- Maudite, La Fin du Monde and especially the oddly-named Terrible. (But not Éphémère -- I don't see the strong apple flavor pairing with all of the menu.)

All beers should be available in most areas. While they're probably too weird for your local megamart, I know that Whole Foods stocks them. A good liquor store will, too. YMMV.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I second the le fin du mond... a wonderful fragrant beer that even my wife (who hates beer) liked. But i would also drink a nice Zin with the burger... something from Rosenblum Cellars.

Cheers

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

I second the le fin du mond... a wonderful fragrant beer that even my wife (who hates beer) liked. But i would also drink a nice Zin with the burger... something from Rosenblum Cellars.

Yes, but what about the baked beans and pecan pie? Red Zin is going to hit that roadblock like a Winnebago being driven by Stevie Wonder. (However, my wine chops aren't nearly as developed as my beer chops. So if anyone has a wine that pairs with all four menu items, I'd love to hear it so I can try one.)

My guess is that the wine would have to be some sort of sparkling variety, and brut (but not extra brut).

Beer or wine, either way, I think this is a meal that needs a yeasty beverage.

My go-to wines for simple meals include nearly anything from Spain or Portugal, served in tumblers. Somehow, it just seems to fit. Monastrelle, grenache, something from Duoro, Portugal. Vinho Verde for the white wine drinkers.

Karen Dar Woon

My last minute rule of beer & food pairing is to match the color of the food with the color of the beer. While this rule breaks down with salads, it works great for the menu above. A pilsener is a great beer, but I think would be too subtle for this menu.

I don't know where you are so I don't know what's available to you. If it were me I'd purchase a variety of beer to allow people to choose what they like and to mix and match as they move through courses:

Brown Ale: Brooklyn Brown would go great with the pecan pie and the baked beans. The roasty character works great with the grilled meat and the baked beans. The sweet malt would work great with the pie. This beer also goes well with a strong cheese like blue, so add that to the burgers. There are a lot of American brown ales out there. Avery makes a nice one as well.

Porter: A porter is like a brown ale, but more roasty and has darker malt character along the lines of chocolate. I love, love, love Founders porter. Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam make great porters. A porter would go well with all the courses as well.

Amber Lager/Ale: Anchor Steam, Negro Modelo, Sam Adams Boston Lager, any of these would be easy and safe choices.

Pale Ale/IPA: An IPA especially a big flavorful beer like Sierra Nevada Torpedo would be an excellent choice. The bitterness would cut through a lot of the sweet flavors and it's a great food beer. I drink a lot of IPA and Torpedo is one of my go to beers. Here in NC, it's a bargain at $9 a six pack.

Belgian beer like Fin Du Monde or Chimay Red or Blue: These beers could also work, but I don't typically pair them with anything beyond cheese.

Yes, but what about the baked beans and pecan pie? Red Zin is going to hit that roadblock like a Winnebago being driven by Stevie Wonder. (However, my wine chops aren't nearly as developed as my beer chops. So if anyone has a wine that pairs with all four menu items, I'd love to hear it so I can try one.)

My guess is that the wine would have to be some sort of sparkling variety, and brut (but not extra brut).

Beer or wine, either way, I think this is a meal that needs a yeasty beverage.

One wine for all three dishes is pushing it. Let's see: Zin or Merlot with the burgers, a Rose' (sparkling or still) or a Sauv Blanc with the baked beans and Broccoli and If you really have to pair an alcoholic beverage with pecan pie it will have to be Pedro Ximenez sherry. Now having suggested that, I would make some of these wines available for those who prefer to drink wine but as it appears to be a easy going, informal menu, i would go with a variety of beers and skip the alcohol for the pecan pie.

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

Beer pairing is easier. Wine can work fine but depends on the condiments. If you're putting anything very acidic or pungent on the burgers (hot mustard, etc.) that makes wine tough. If you're going easy on the condiments, you can pick just as you would for other beef dishes.

My beer preference would be for something that doesn't go too far either in the sweet/malt area or the bitter/hops area. Anything light to medium bodied with a good balance.

Notes from the underbelly

If "pie" wasn't on the menu and "beans" was replaced with "pomme frites", Chimay Bleu. This is no beer for sweets -- but this is THE beer to pair with beef, frite and really funky cheese. If your local doesn't sell Bleu, you could go with one of the Quebec Unibroue beers -- Maudite, La Fin du Monde and especially the oddly-named Terrible. (But not Éphémère -- I don't see the strong apple flavor pairing with all of the menu.)

I agree with you except for Terrible. In my mind, that's an after dinner beer in lieu of a cup of coffee. But it would not match well with the front and center sweetness of pecan pie, which would overwhelm it, IMO. I like Ayinger Celebrator with a burger if there's no cheese on the burger, and I think it would work with baked beans too if they're flavored more towards dark molasses than brown sugar.

Edited by dividend (log)

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I agree with you except for Terrible. In my mind, that's an after dinner beer in lieu of a cup of coffee. But it would not match well with the front and center sweetness of pecan pie, which would overwhelm it, IMO.

I agree with the Dopplebocks -- in fact, anything ending in "ator" should work with this meal. I still think Terrible would be ideal -- with the huge raisin spike and the cherry and caramel notes, this would pair well. Try some with a tartare or carpaccio - it's the vintage Bordeaux of beers.