• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Sticks

Chris Hennes

I admit it, from time to time I make frozen fish sticks. Sometimes I turn them into a pseudo-Filet-o-Fish, and sometimes (like tonight), I just serve them on a plate with rice and peas. I'm particular: the store brand generic ones around here are TERRIBLE. Soggy, greasy, nasty. But I actually like the Gorton's. I think we ate Van de Kamps growing up, but I haven't had them since, and can't remember what they were like. Do you eat fish sticks? Or do you view them as an abomination? What brands do you like?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I admit it, from time to time I make frozen fish sticks. Sometimes I turn them into a pseudo-Filet-o-Fish, and sometimes (like tonight), I just serve them on a plate with rice and peas. I'm particular: the store brand generic ones around here are TERRIBLE. Soggy, greasy, nasty. But I actually like the Gorton's. I think we ate Van de Kamps growing up, but I haven't had them since, and can't remember what they were like. Do you eat fish sticks? Or do you view them as an abomination? What brands do you like?

Where was that thread about the Hall of Shame...

Frozen fish sticks make GREAT fish tacos when you either don't have the time to fry your own filets or don't have fresh (or good frozen) fish. Heat those babies up in the oven, toss them in a warm tortilla with some cabbage, cilantro and white sauce, squeeze the lime, oh yeah babe. As a matter of fact, that's dinner tomorrow.

VanDeKamps are my grocery store brand of choice. Preferably the battered "halibut filets". Don't be impressed by the "filet" label. The pieces of fish are maybe 2x3 inches, but the quality is good, and the batter crisps up nicely. Same with their battered fish filets. The pack of dried tarter sauce mix they used to put in the box was pretty good too, when mixed with Best Foods mayo. I've never used the breaded-type VdeK products, always went for the faux batter. I've also never tried the Gorton's, and have never gone for a store brand.

Other than Trader Joe's. No, I'm not on their payroll, although over the 30-plus years I've shopped there, I probably own a good piece of their operation. But as with most of their private-label products, their beer-battered white fish filets are very good, I think better than even VdeK. Again, the use of the term "filet" is a stretch, but they're good for what they are. And lacking a TJ's, or if TJ's isn't carrying the fish sticks at the moment, it's VdeK all the way.

Cook in the oven, and if they need a little more crunching up, run under the broiler for the briefest bit of time, just to finish off.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Frozen fish sticks make GREAT fish tacos when you either don't have the time to fry your own filets or don't have fresh (or good frozen) fish. Heat those babies up in the oven, toss them in a warm tortilla with some cabbage, cilantro and white sauce, squeeze the lime, oh yeah babe. As a matter of fact, that's dinner tomorrow.

This? Is genius. I'm lamenting a lack of fish sticks right now.

I enjoy mine best with peas and oven fries, and if we're in Canada, it has to be Highliner brand, merely for nostalgia's sake.

I'd never really thought of fish sticks (too many really crappy ones in a school cafeteria) until I tried a sample of the Costco brand, which are quite good.

Did I buy them? No. But, the fish taco idea has me adding them to the list for my next Costco run.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Dinner for you tomorrow, lunch today for me. Brilliant idea! Though I've never made fish sticks before ... if I develop a fish stick addiction like I did when I found the frozen potstickers at the Super H, I'm going to be really upset.

Love/love/love the fish taco idea!! That is brilliant.

Once in awhile I do fishsticks when I have teens around the house, but I always enjoy them, too. Pop right from the freezer on a baking sheet -- along with lots of Tator Tots -- and a fun dinner is knocking on the door -- oh -- and let's not forget the ketchup. :laugh: On the verge of confessing too much -- nuked frozen corn on the cob usually appears, too, because there's no such thing as too many carbs on frozen fish stick night.

Rhonda

Do you eat fish sticks? Or do you view them as an abomination? What brands do you like?

I don't eat fish sticks per se, but once or twice a year, maybe less often, I'll buy a package of TJ's frozen, battered fish and cook 'em in the oven nice and crisp. Does TJ's have sticks?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Frozen fish sticks make GREAT fish tacos ...

What a genius idea. I haven't bought fish sticks for years. Fish sticks and cabbage have just been added to next week's grocery list.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Why have I never thought about making fish tacos with fishsticks?!?! BRILLIANT! Thanks so much for the idea!

I was shocked by how much I liked the Target store brand fishsticks. We tried them 2 weeks ago and they were light and crispy and very enjoyable! (You know, for um, fishsticks...)

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

I vote for fish sticks. I like the McDonald's Filet O Fish sandwich. I haven't done this for years, but you started and now I will: Gorton's on an egg roll (meaning egg in the batter, they're yellowy) with tartar sauce and sprouts. The fish stick itself has to have a batter composed of tiny grains, a la McDonald's. Batter is okay, but the tiny grains of fried goodness are best.

Yes, it reminds me of childhood and young adulthood when one could eat unlimited fish sandwiches in the college cafeteria.

I'm off to Istanbul soon and I'm looking forward to a fish sandwich served from the side of a boat, caught there cooked there eaten there. This would have no batter, and the best fish sandwich of my life had no batter (eaten in Key West, very thick fish).

Fish sticks. Yes!

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 1 year later...

I like two brands-Trident Seafood and Ocean Beauty, both based in Seattle. We can buy Trident brand at some markets in the Northwest and at Costco. Ocean Beauty is more widely available in supermarkets. Both companies offer a variety of frozen seafood, but I especially like their "fish sticks" made with Alaskan Halibut.

Other than Trader Joe's. No, I'm not on their payroll, although over the 30-plus years I've shopped there, I probably own a good piece of their operation. But as with most of their private-label products, their beer-battered white fish filets are very good, I think better than even VdeK. Again, the use of the term "filet" is a stretch, but they're good for what they are. And lacking a TJ's, or if TJ's isn't carrying the fish sticks at the moment, it's VdeK all the way.

We buy fish sticks for our toddler, who likes them a lot (mainly as a vehicle for ketchup, natch.) I find that most of them aren't worth grownup eating. But I recently tried TJ's "fish nuggets", which, despite the name, are actually small pieces of whole fish. They're really good! I

We buy fish sticks for our toddler, who likes them a lot (mainly as a vehicle for ketchup, natch.) I find that most of them aren't worth grownup eating. But I recently tried TJ's "fish nuggets", which, despite the name, are actually small pieces of whole fish. They're really good! I

Using fish sticks for tacos never occurred to me before this thread but after seeing Pierogi's post, I headed to TJ's and decided to try the fish nuggets. They were cheaper than some of the others so I figured it would be no big loss if I didn't like them. They're a great size for tacos and I agree with Andrew: Very tasty! I made some cilantro-lime slaw like Pierogi did in her most excellent blog. Unlike Pierogi, I did not make my own tortillas but used the "Homemade" tortillas from TJ's. Mmmm Mmmm good!