• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

group dinner in the 13th in fall

chezcherie

we will be leading a culinary tour in france this fall, and will be arriving in paris after a week-long barge cruise in avignon/arles/the camargue. we'd like to pre-arrange a group dinner that first evening in paris, as we will arrive in the late afternoon/early evening, and folks will likely be hungry, and won't have a chance to get their bearings until the next day. any suggestions on a good place for a group of about 12, where we could pre-arrange? we'll be staying in the 13th, and would like to stay close that first evening. thanks so much for any suggestions!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 1 month later...

I second l'Avant Gout, although they may not be able to accomodate a group of 12 people (it's a fairly small restaurant). Also, make sure you book well in advance.

A few additional suggestions in the 13th: L'Ourcine (another bistro which is also small, but excellent). And Le Petit Marguery which is more on the traditional side.

thanks so much for the responses. it appears we are going with marty for the first evening as our group may be larger than 12. i will check out l'avant gout on the same trip, with a smaller group. (we've had remarkable response to this trip, and we are very nearly full, seven months out. dare i say it appears that the economy is...no, i won't jinx it!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up spending a few days in Paris two weeks ago and had lunch at l'Avant Gout. I was actually incorrect in my previous post; they have one large table that can accommodate 12 people.

My meal there was excellent. I started off with an artichoke and crab soup (accompanied by a house cocktail, a sparkling wine-based concoction with bitter orange and spices, "Cointreau aux épices et Vouvray pétillant"). I followed with their specialty, which is a delicious pork pot au feu that is cooked with a variety of spices (pot au feu de cochon aux epices). It was a very large entree but I did manage to eat it all in no time. In person it looks better than the picture that I've linked. It's served with sweet potatoes, fennel, and a glass of broth on the side. Now I want to try to replicate it at home (I included a link to the recipe). The service was perfect and I really enjoyed my meal. So if you end up giving this restaurant a try, I don't think that you will be disappointed!