• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fast Food Burger

Chris Hennes

It seems like every time I drive down the street a new fast food place is opening in my town. Of course, McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. And Carl's Jr, and now Jack in the Box, and a couple others I can't even remember the names of. Back on the East Coast I was fond of Backyard Burgers and Five Guys, but we don't have either of those here. Which places should I try for the best fast food burger?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Well, I think Five Guys just showed up in Dallas; they might get to Norman pretty soon (no place better for good fast-food burgers than a college town, right?)

So, my anaylsis of fast-food burgers, keeping in mind that they are all decidedly fast food:

I don't know if Norman has a Burger Street, but that's No. 1 on my list by a mile, as it seems to me to have the freshest vegetables and the best ratios of meat to veggies to bun size. I'll go ahead and throw in the note that I can't really tell a massive difference between the flavors in any fast-food hamburger meat; it just tastes to me like ... fast-food hamburger meat.

I'd say Braums is next on my list - again, because of freshness of the veggies. To me the bun is not particularly memorable, but it's not memoarably bad, either. And they serve the burger in the little-paper-holder-napkin-sack thing (what's that really called?). Because the stuff might fall out without it when you eat the burger. I like that.

Next, Whataburger. Because I'm from Texas and I'll get shot if I don't put it on the list. Not making it No. 1 was a risk in itself ...

We don't have Burger Street here, but we do have Braum's and Whataburger (neither of which I've tried). I've read some good things about Wendy's, too, but I've never been there, either. I'm suspicious of square hamburgers, though. I don't have a rational reason for that.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

We don't have Burger Street here, but we do have Braum's and Whataburger (neither of which I've tried). I've read some good things about Wendy's, too, but I've never been there, either. I'm suspicious of square hamburgers, though. I don't have a rational reason for that.

Of the national chains, I'd choose Carl's/Hardee's hands down, although I hear they've just been sold, so I fear they'll get shoved into the BK/MickeyD model. Jack in the Box used to be good too, but lately they've moved more to the held-way-too-long-in-the-steam-table end of the spectrum. Carl's, at least out here on the Left Coast, still runs their burgers under a live flame, and you can taste the difference. Even if they sit for a few minutes, they still taste pretty good.

Wendy's I think, uses a flat-top, which puts them above MickeyD's (well, that don't take much....) but I don't think in a class with Carl's. However, I do think they make them pretty much to order, which also gives Wendy's points.

Of course, the best bet is move to where In-N-Out operates.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

It's my understanding that Carl's Jr. purchased Hardees at some point in the recent past, and that the trend is to make Hardees more like Carl's Jr, rather than the reverse. That said, it's interesting to me that you are a fan of Carl's Jr.'s burgers: they get a pretty bad rap over at A Hamburger Today.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

It's my understanding that Carl's Jr. purchased Hardees at some point in the recent past, and that the trend is to make Hardees more like Carl's Jr, rather than the reverse. That said, it's interesting to me that you are a fan of Carl's Jr.'s burgers: they get a pretty bad rap over at A Hamburger Today.

I'm in my late 50's and Carl's by far is my goto burger and has been since I was a teen. The flame char-broiling produces a much better flavor (IMHO) than you can ever get from a grill. In-n-Out is #2 for me because of the grilled onions they offer (yes - I now they're grilled).

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

As far as beef patty quality -- Fatburger. Fatburger makes as good a burger as I do (unless I feel rich and hand chop wagyu.) It's big and thick and hand formed so not perfectly round. And they know how to actually brown beef. So it's a damned fine burger. If aliens came down and asked me to show them this "hamburger" they hear so much about on our radio commercials, I would take them straight to Fatburger. And I'd order two 24-oz "Triple Kings" and challenge them to a burger eating contest -- my car's pink slip against their spaceship's pink slip.

As far as "total package" -- Tommy's Original Hamburger Shack. I think they're only CA and NV though. It's not so much the burger (which is about the same as an In-N-Out). It's the chili they put on top of it. That addictive, addictive chili. I have them slather it on the burger, the fries, and then I take some more chili to-go.

In-N-Out is OK. But only if everything is ordered "Animal Style." They treat their employees really well. (In fact, if I can't find work on a line sometime soon, I plan on applying.) So I feel good when I plunk down my $7 for a double-double and some animal style fries.

Those are the only three burger joints I will visit. The rest are merely fast-food, and not worth the money (or empty calories) to me. If I'm going to consume that many calories -- and have to bike it off later -- those are the only three that are worth my time and money.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Interesting. I wonder if it's a regional thing? In SoCal, Carl's has always been outstanding.

Yeah, like all fast-food burgers, they're cooked to well done, and yeah, that's not how I'd do it at home. But, then *I'm* not worried about 7 million suit-happy consumers thinking they got E. coli from my food.

But dry and chewy, nah, not so much. At least the meat has a definative flavor from the live flame, which is more than can be said for the other national chains.

Certainly, the regional chains, (Tommy's, Fatburger, In-N-Out) do a better job. And certainly the Mom & Pop one-ofs do an even better job (usually). But nationally, I'd pick a Carl's/Hardees any time.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Certainly, the regional chains, (Tommy's, Fatburger, In-N-Out) do a better job. And certainly the Mom & Pop one-ofs do an even better job (usually). But nationally, I'd pick a Carl's/Hardees any time.

I haven't found a good Mom & Pop in my area. And if I'm in an unknown area, it's hard to tell if the local Mom & Pop "brings it." Even a parking lot full of classic cars doesn't mean much. There's classic cars at my local Sonic once a week. 'Nuff said.

Also, I think you have the benefit of being in SoCal -- birthplace of all three of my favorite joints. SoCal is to burgers what New York is to pizza. Other places might make a good pie here and there. But there is no comparison of any region's pizza scene to New York's pizza scene. (Stop howling, Chicago. That isn't pizza. It's good. But it's not pizza.) Same with greater Los Angeles and burgers. Lots of people are going to think, "We have a great burger over at fill-in-the-blank." But they know in their hearts that In-N-Out, Tommy's and Fatburger didn't just spring up miraculously -- LA rules the burger world.

FInding a mom-and-pop anything here in the southern midwest is challenging. And most of them are crap, sometimes even crappier than the major chains. I make a pretty wicked burger at home (following paulraphael's suggestions here) and I know I can't hold fast food up to that standard, but the burgers you guys are describing sound great, for what they are. How are Sonic's burgers, since you mention them? I've never been there (I know, I know, bad Oklahoman...).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

How are Sonic's burgers, since you mention them?

Better than the bigger chains -- McD's, BK, Wendy's. Not nearly as good as Carl's Jr./Hardees. Not in the same league as the California triumvirate. I've never had a Five Brothers or Whataburger, but I will certainly pull in if I ever see one.

I won't eat at Sonic. Because for the same money I can get good Mexican at one of the taco stalls that Las Vegas ordinance require to be placed no more than 1,000 feet apart. I'd rather have good Mexican than an ordinary burger, any day.

Hardees taste of flavor enhancers to me..soy perhaps (or a yeast hydrolysate that is a way to sneak in glutamate without the label). Having said that, I do like them.

The new BK burger, whatever they call it, it a really big simple hamburger. It is not bad.

If my dining options are limited to the big boys, my preference is for a Wendy's double with cheese. And their fries, when done well, are also quite good.

However, if I'm home in Akron, when my craving for a good burger rears its head, it is usually satisfied by a Swenson's Galley Boy. Something about the combination of the meat, the cheese, the two sauces and the toasted bun. In fact, I even wrote about it on my blog.

Crap, now I'm suddenly craving one. :biggrin:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I had a bacon cheeseburger at Braum's, a regional chain, this weekend, at it was indeed very good. Thanks for the recommendation, Rico, I don't think I would have tried them otherwise, I associate them with ice cream, and place that specialize in ice cream rarely seem to have good burgers, in my experience.

And, count me in favor of flavor enhancement! If it tastes good, it tastes good, and I don't want to know what's in it, or how many calories it is. It's not like I'm eating these things every day...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

If my dining options are limited to the big boys, my preference is for a Wendy's double with cheese.

My DW likes them but I won't touch a Wendy's burger. For years when we went there I would get the chili. Now they have a passable chicken sandwich.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Red Robin is not terrible.

My problem with Red Robin is that I've turned into a cranky old man. The RR near us is really noisy and that, for me, ruins being there.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Red Robin is not terrible.

I once had a "pot roast" burger at Red Robin that was quite delicious and total comfort food. It certainly didn't qualify as a true hamburger, but oh my, it was pure genius. Alas, it's no longer on their menu in my area. :sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Well, as I originally intended it, I really wanted places with a drive-through window. But that crosses Five Guys off the list, despite their burger being distinctly "fast food-esque" (albeit very good for a fast food burger). I think everyplace else mentioned has a drive through window, though.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I took Mr. Hennes's meaning to be "chain restaurant" as opposed to a formal definition of fast food as in "QSR" or some other industry category. Also there has been a lot of line blurring over the past few years especially with the rise of the "fast-casual" category.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)