• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fast Food Burger

Chris Hennes

I've never been to a Freddy's I'm guessing they aren't a lot like S'n'S if people really like to go there. The only thing good about S'n'S is that their prices are very reasonable (cheap). Actually, their fries and shakes are quite good also but I certainly can't give their burgers a very high mark. They are very thin, greasy and flavorless.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

@Chimayo Joe

there seems to be a Smash near me

I might take many Hits for the Team and take a Taste

for me

ShakeShake

for the SmokeShake

do not buy SS fries

they are terrible

stop at a 5 Guys and get your Potato Fix there

will not be disappointed in either case.

Smashburger has a burger with cheese, guacamole, and fresh jalapenos. It's pretty good. I dislike the shoestring fries though. 

I had Freddy's once, a few years back in Manhattan, KS when my daughter was at K-State. Seemed ok, nothing too memorable. 

There's a Shake Shack that opened about a mile from our house here in Lexington. Haven't been yet. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2018 at 3:01 PM, robirdstx said:

We have a Freddy’s Opening Soon, just down the highway. Their food sounds very much like the Steak ‘n Shake my husband and I loved and grew up with in St. Louis. 

We went to Freddy’s tonight. They’ve only been open for a couple of weeks and have been very busy. We went early.

FC452AA1-BC95-4FB4-8501-6229BA140F1E.thumb.jpeg.671365bf918a031fb9a0a1a98f7aa34a.jpeg

We each had a combo meal, with fries. I had the Original Double Patty Melt (Two steakburger patties, Swiss cheese & grilled onions on toasted rye bread). My husband had Freddy’s Original Double (Two steakburger patties, mustard, ketchup, onion & pickle on a toasted bun). We both enjoyed them, but... My husband says he likes Five Guys better and the fries at Freddy’s, though hot, skinny, crispy and plentiful, most were so short in length it was hard to pick them up and still be able to dip them in the ketchup. Overall I liked it and will go there again.

88638E14-73B5-400E-B7B9-C25B52D9D1B2.thumb.jpeg.1edca44f3017b182955426d9cf8310ca.jpeg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, robirdstx said:

We went to Freddy’s tonight. They’ve only been open for a couple of weeks and have been very busy. We went early.

We each had a combo meal, with fries. I had the Original Double Patty Melt (Two steakburger patties, Swiss cheese & grilled onions on toasted rye bread). My husband had Freddy’s Original Double (Two steakburger patties, mustard, ketchup, onion & pickle on a toasted bun). We both enjoyed them, but... My husband says he likes Five Guys better and the fries at Freddy’s, though hot, skinny, crispy and plentiful, most were so short in length it was hard to pick them up and still be able to dip them in the ketchup. Overall I liked it and will go there again.

That toast on the patty melt looks...uhm,  well done. :o

As for the container of ketchup for dipping...did you know they expand, which might make it easier to dip the fries in it?

ketchup3.jpg.f6e451305604785b337aef99e133fee9.jpg

Just a thought...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

45 minutes ago, Toliver said:

As for the container of ketchup for dipping...did you know they expand, which might make it easier to dip the fries in it?

Just a thought...

:o:o:o

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

:o:o:o

Who knew?  It never occurred to me that they would expand but I guess from the look of them they should. Live and learn. Now I can hardly wait till I get somewhere where they are used so I can check it. xD

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

My mind is still blown....hours later......

Click  :ph34r:

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am happy to report my favorite burger diner has reopened under new ownership, with the same menu, and the burgers appear to be just as good. I didn't think the onion rings quite came up to the original standard, but perhaps I was just not in a real onion ring mood.

Will try fries next time.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Just a thought...

Yes, the toast was darker than I prefer, but it was not burnt. Did not know about the expanding cups, but I still prefer longer fries. Way too many of the fries were no more than a couple of inches in length. Bottom of the bag?

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Bottom of the bag?

Sounds like it to me...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Short fries are an abomination.  

Yup, but cold fries are worse. >:( Followed by soggy, limp ones, even if they're hot.

I'm sort of strict on what constitutes a hot fry too. If I don't burn my mouth on the first few, the order will be too cold to enjoy by the end.

Five Guys could usually deliver on both very decent burgers and fries that came out fresh and hot, but tragically, the only outlet in Cary has closed. Must have been its location at the very back corner of a mall behind Barnes and Noble. It sure wasn't the food or service from the last time I was there. 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry... it was Five Guys

Soooooo…….

decided to try something different especially after reading this thread.

Ordered a small fries...way too much for me but some of the best fries I have had in a long while.  Not soggy!!!  Hot and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  Malt vinegar, mayo or ketchup or all.  I would go back to share these with someone else.

Got a small bacon cheese burger with pickles, ketchup and sautéed onions.  Took the bottom of the cotton wool bun off and disposed of it.  Threw out about half the burger and the gentleman who took my order seemed upset.  I said to him that I had never eaten there, the fries were incredible though I couldn't eat them all but I didn't enjoy the taste of the burger.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Ordered a small fries

I'll bet that made the difference!

Large order of fries in those cups is a recipe for sogginess!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

Have tried Five Guys, In N Out, and Smash Burger.  Smash a Burger is hands down my favorite.  Wish a Shake Shack was near.

Smash Burger is just down the road from the Five Guys and is next on the list.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The best fast food cheeseburger I've had in ages came from a local chain, David's Burgers, which I think has six or eight locations in Arkansas. They grind their own meat, cut their own fries, and your choices are single, double, triple, with or without cheese, and that's it. They have a great list  of condiments including sauteed mushroom and caramelized onions, in addition to all the standards. The fries are a little limp; they'd benefit from a soak in ice water before frying, and the double-fry method,  but the burgers are wonderful.

I've had In and Out; not too bad. Five Guys is OK, but just barely. Have not had Shake Shack. None of the lower-end burger chains are fit to eat (I tried a Dairy Queen burger t'other day and pitched three quarters of it).

But the best burger in the world was made in a little hole in the wall place, the Dairy Freeze, in northwestern Arkansas, in a little wide spot in the road called Hiwassee. Marvelous, hand-patted, flat-top-grilled patties, a big slab of cheese, bacon if you wanted it, ALL the trimmings, buns grilled toasty on the flat top. I once called that place and asked if they'd stay open an hour past closing so Bill Clinton could get a cheeseburger. They told me they wouldn't stay open, but they'd unlock and let us in and cook for us. He swore it was the best cheeseburger he'd ever eaten, and the man loved his cheeseburgers.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com