• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thank God it's Foie Day

Kerry Beal

Today I had the opportunity to spend about 3 1/2 hours at The Good Earth Cooking School in Beamsville, Ontario - for a multi course foie gras experience. Here is a link to the cooking school.

Chef Patrick Engel put together a rather amazing collection of foie options for us to enjoy.

I showed up with a contingent of 5 women - each of us wearing PETA T-shirts - of course that's "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals". On the back of mine it said - "there is a place in the world for all god's creatures - right beside the mashed potatoes".

DSC_2175.jpg

The facility - The Good Earth Cooking school grounds are orchard and vineyard. A winery will be opening on the property in a few months.

DSC_2124.jpg

Chef Patrick adding the first of many chunks of foie fat and clarified butter to the pan. I managed to cut off half his head unfortunately.

DSC_2129.jpg

Two foie lobes, one goose, the other duck.

DSC_2128.jpg

The first course was the "Oyster and Foie Gras Duo" - a couple of nice Indian Creek oysters breaded and fried in foie fat and clarified butter - a raw Raspberry Point Malpeque drizzled with some Fielding Estates Sparkling Riesling, a little caviar, and a grating of foie gras parfait. Served with the Fielding Estates Sparkling Riesling.

DSC_2141.jpg

The foie was taken outside to sear - previous foie cooking had taught them that having the fire department attend the classes delayed the eating!

DSC_2144.jpg

Seared goose foie on left, and duck foie on the right - a blueberry and hibiscus jelly made a nice counterpoint to the rich foies. (What is the plural of foie anyway?) Served with Cave Springs Cellars "Indian Summer" Late Harvest Riesling.

DSC_2147.jpg

Burger and Fries - a lovely brioche bun, a burger of perfectly seasoned pork, veal and beef, topped with torchon of foie, the bun spread with foie parfait (a mixture of foie and butter). Yukon gold potatoes fried, topped with cheese curd and a foie poutine sauce a la La Pied de Cochon. Served with 13th Street Winery, Gamay Noir.

DSC_2153.jpg

For the next course - roasted foie was required. The lobe was scored and seared quickly in a smoking hot cast iron pan on salt. After searing, a handful of fresh thyme was added and the whole thing bunged into the oven - fortunately not setting off the smoke alarm.

DSC_2165.jpg

Steak Tartare - aged tenderloin, minced with dijon, worcestershire, soya sauce, onion, cornichon, caper, fennel, tabasco, parsley, salt and pepper. Served with a tangy vinaigrette made with rendered foie fat. Accompanied by a small nubbin of the roasted foie. Served with Malivoire Wine Company, Guilty Men.

DSC_2168.jpg

Foie brulee - sugar coated slices of foie - hit with a blow torch - served with pickled crab apples and some lovely little biscuits.

Following this course we had coffee and the foie caramels that I had brought.

DSC_2171.jpg

A rather rotund little dog joined us to help clean the floor (her name was Bella - I'd say most appropriately named 'chow bella') and the cats came out to check out the foie fat that remained in the cast iron skillets on the outdoor grill.

WOW! Did you walk or waddle to your cars? Must say my eye was drawn to the bread - was it made on site?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

WOW! Did you walk or waddle to your cars? Must say my eye was drawn to the bread - was it made on site?

Waddled for sure - you notice that cat isn't skinny either!

I'm not sure about the bread - I suspect it was made elsewhere as no real fuss was made over it.

I showed up with a contingent of 5 women - each of us wearing PETA T-shirts - of course that's "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals". On the back of mine it said - "there is a place in the world for all god's creatures - right beside the mashed potatoes".

I need a shirt like that, I think.

I managed to cut off half his head unfortunately.

You scared me for a minute, Kerry. I thought you were going all Sweeney Todd on us! The whole day sounds like a completely enjoyable episode.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

mmmm... foie.

Was there a distinct taste-difference between the goose and duck foie?

Indeed there was - the goose was richer and less 'liver like'. That being said - the piece of duck foie that I had was crispier than the goose and so I enjoyed it a bit more.