• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your opinions on the Michelin 2010

fresh_a

Funny, there doesn't seem to be too much commenting on the new Michelin guide. It seems to have left people pretty cold, but I'd love to hear what you people out there think of it. Is Michelin trying to change? Does the Etoile magazine and sporadic online reviews make any difference, make them more valid? Does giving the first one star to Yam T'cha and Passage 53 make them a little more open to new trends? What do you think?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I was pleased to see the net increase in the number of places with stars, and the net increase in two stars. I think that is always a good sign.

It was nice to see some of the newer places in Paris earn theirs, and it was nice to see Sa.Qua.Na hit two. Overall a boost for modern style food. Darroze dropping a star isn't a surprise after our experience which was quite poor, some of the other drops of restaurants on the tourist trail are interesting.

Perhaps we all have our own conception of who and what deserves a star. I personally don't see Besson losing his , but then again I feel Helen Darroze is lucky to only lose one. Is Yam Tcha's star an attempt by Michelin to show that they are more open to "hip", foreign takes on French cuisine and that a classicist like Bresson is passé? I see so many inconsistencies...a star for Passage 53 but none for Les Crayeres??? I would value hearing your takes.

Yam T'cha has had a ginourmous amount of buzz. Disappointing lately, though. Passage 53 has really come a long way. I've been going since the beginning when it was more of a 'bistrot de luxe' with great products, but not much challenge for chef Shinichi Sato, doing things like steak frites (Desnoyer, comme meme..) and tartars, jabugo ham. People complained about the deco being too crowded. Guillaume the owner listened to his diners and critics, completely redid the dining room, hired great waitstaff, and an amazing cute Japanese sommelier (from Tokyo's three star Qunitessence), and gave the chef free rein with the tasting menu only menu for both lunch and dinner. He's learned , come a long way, and allowed the table to become what it is now, a well deserved one star. Although some dishes really shine like the recent "tempura" of artichokes on a bed of yuzu flavored oysters and the famous veal tartar and oysters are the ultimate "Surf and Turf", and it definitely gets my vote as my top table of the year.

I recently felt bad writing this .......

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog