• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Terrine Molds (and Substitutes for Same)

Malawry

Well, I am resurrecting this thread as I have (finally) purchased my molds. A trip to France resolved that. I got two of the silicone Mostrad ones (500g) with cover and the press. I thought breaking them up into two small molds would be nice instead of one big one and this way the terrine press works with the size.

I also got a tin collapsable one. I don't know the size off hand (maybe 750g). I also saw the Emile Henry Colors mold there made out of some Ceradon material. It was much cheaper than the cast iron one and I thought about getting it, but it would have been difficult to get back in my bags. Has anyone tried this material out? These items are much cheaper than the cast iron.

Anyhow, I want to start making terrines soon and I was wondering about thermometers. The Mostrad molds have a hole in the lid to insert a thermometer. I've been reading threads on those remote thermometers but it seems as if most of them get mixed reviews. I do have a thermapen. Is that the best option or is there a good remote thermometers out there?

Thanks.

I like to say things and eat stuff.