• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Terrine Molds (and Substitutes for Same)

Malawry

I've backed myself into making a terrine for a party I'm catering. It's a chocolate terrine, not a pate-type dish, but I like pates quite a lot and wouldn't mind making some. Of course, I don't actually own a terrine mold, and I was shocked to discover how much the enameled sort cost when I did a little web searching.

What types of molds do you use for your terrines? Is there a good cheat I can use if I can't find a mold at a decent price? (The chocolate terrine is pressed, but not cooked, once it's in the mold.) Any ideas where to pick up a nice enameled terrine mold for under $80?

I'd rather not have to double or triple my recipe to get it to fit in a loaf pan and make nice-sized slices, though that is my stopgap measure if nothing else pans out.

I have to say that this is spookily timely, again. I was about to ask the same question.

Over in the topic on Charcuterie I made the following comment:

This is exceedingly strange. I woke up this morning with a strange yearning to make terrines. I don't make terrines. I don't even have a terrine to make one in. And I know zip about it. I have made Speckle Belly goose liver pate once in my life several years ago. Now you know why this is exceedingly strange. And, what do I see at the top of the Cooking forum?

So, here we go again. I, too, am not willing to spend the money for enameled cast iron for something I might use a couple of times a year. So I am wondering if pottery works as well as the iron. I have done some searching on the net but haven't been to any of the discount places (Marshall's etc.) to even guess if they would have anything like that.

I will be watching with great interest.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This one looks cool--I kinda like the idea of a triangular mold for the chocolate terrine. Do baked meat pates cook as evenly in a triangular mold as they do in the classic rectangular shape? Do I need to make adjustments to a savory recipe to get them to come out right in a stainless steel mold?

I don't know why I didn't think of JB Prince. I've ordered from them before...

• 3 years later...

I think J. B. Prince used to carry these--long pate molds with screw press lids--but I just looked at their website and couldn't find one, though they have just about every other kind of pate mold and terrine you can think of. As I recall, they're quite expensive.

What I do is make the terrine in a long narrow loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and then put another identical loaf pan on top with some weight in it and press it overnight.

• 2 months later...

I am looking around for a good terrine mold and have found the Le Creuset one for about $150 and some metal ones for about half that price, but does anyone know (1) how the regular metal ones perform versus the LC enameled cast iron ones and (2) are there good terrine molds out there that I am missing? Any recommendations? It just seems that there should be cheaper ones out there somewhere? I wish I had bought one when I lived in France.

k.

I like to say things and eat stuff.

Eventually, I would like to do both, but right now I am mainly considering rustic French meat terrines like this one. The metal meat loaf pans will probably work well with that, but I also want to try this recipe from Saveur.

I guess I was wondering if the cast iron will heat more evenly and handle gelatin-based terrines better.

k.

Blether, thanks for the reply.

After some additional research. I have decided that cast iron/enamel terrine molds probably heat more evenly -- though I can't say for sure. That is what a couple reviewers have said on Amazon at least, but there are so few reviews it is hard to say.

If I felt that I would only be 'trying' terrine out, then maybe a tin pan would suffice at first, but as I have lived in France for some time and love rustic terrines, I think I will continue to make them. (I could be wrong though.) I just remember seeing all those different terrines in a row and choosing as if it were candy. It is hard to go back.

I still don't know if gelatin will be greatly affected by tin versus cast iron, but I assume that the Le Creuset will do a sufficient job (at a much higher cost). Also, I will be in Chicago this weekend and maybe I will find a kitchen store that has the mold on display, and I can ask a few questions then.

Anyhow...if anyone has used this pan, I would still appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

k.

I've been a terrine maker for years and I heartily recommend the collapsible ones; just a regular loaf pan and you risk not being able to get it out cleanly. I personally don't like the Le Creuset unless it is one that I am going to serve from the pan, but the pics you provided are fully removed and would be better suited to a collapsible model. This kind has been used for years and is similar to some of the models I use.

The LeCreuset does look wonderful for presentation.

But it lengthens cooking I'd say. Longer to heat and cool.

And of course I worry about scratching the interior enamel.

Great feature (a terrine essential, I'd say) is the little hole in the lid for my thermometer probe. I use a thing with a wire between the probe and the (outside the oven) display.

Cook to a chosen core temperature, with the bath only slightly hotter.

I've just bought a small silicone terrine from Mastrad. Seems ideal for things that are going to be turned out.

French description http://www.cuisinstore.com/terrine-silicone

UK source http://www.comet-accessories.co.uk/accessories_online/fiche.cfm?cat_id=129&produit_id=146968&affil=7554D6D530488ACB286435BB3C1B8937&xtor=AL-1

Silicone is super-easy to store (crushable), and is MUCH cheaper than cast iron.

But you might not always want to present your efforts IN the terrine ...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Thanks, for the replies. I like the prices on these options a lot better, and I am not really interested in serving out of the dish, so I am ruling out the Le Creuset for now.

I also see that there is a non-stick version of the same collapsible mold, are there any advantages/disadvantages to non-stick (other than it being non-stick). Will terrines brown differently around the edges?

I also like the silicone option, but boy is it hard to find in the US. I can locate the stand-alone silicone bake pan, but not the terrine option with the cover and press. I may have to order it from Europe. I thought the video of the silicone pan in use from this site inspiring.

Thanks again.

k.

... I can locate the stand-alone silicone bake pan, but not the terrine option with the cover and press. I may have to order it from Europe. I thought the video of the silicone pan in use from this site inspiring.

Note that the press is not included - it is a €5 extra http://www.cuisine-french.com/cgi/mdc/l/en/boutique/produits/mas-presse_terrine.html and its only available for the small size (500 grams, just over 1 lb).

That video is also linked from the french page that I linked above. Neat video, really "sells the sizzle" doesn't it? :smile:

But I must admit that though I'd seen it a few times before, I hadn't previously noticed that the press was being left in the terrine for cooking, and turning out, and then being used as a cutting stand ...

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I have the le creuset mold. I have nothing negative to say about it. However I am now wishing I had a metal one with straight vertical sides and a removable bottom. Lately I have been doing terrine en croute and it is very hard with the standard cast iron molds.

Collapsible moulds are good for en croute treatments, but typically, unlined, don't seal against leaking liquid.

Have you looked through The Terrine Topic ? There's good information in there about containers, too, and as a fan of French terrines, I think you'll find reading through it to be a trip in itself.

There's some truly stunning pieces of work in there, by various eG members. You could do worse than forgo a mould entirely and do as Baron d'Apcher does (see the latest page, page 10, various posts). Will we see your own terrines in there, mr drinkie ? I need to jump in there myself at some point.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Wow. Thanks, blether, for the terrine thread link. I got through 3-4 pages and it was very good reading (and pictures). Right now I am just thinking about rabbit terrine with berries and gin. That just sounds way too good. I just made a rabbit dish a few weeks ago and it was fabulous, and I had strangely never thought about it for a terrine.

Here in Minnesota rabbit is very expensive, but when I lived in DC it was one of the cheapest meats at the market. Maybe the market will determine the contents of my terrine.

And yes, I will show the photos of my terrines when they pop out of the oven.

k.

Edited by mr drinkie (log)

In most commercial kitchens anything is used for terrines, Pate en croute molds (the collapsible ones) do work well if they are lined with cling film. I can attest to this as I have done it many times.

That being said I have worked with the enamel-clad cast iron ones, and they are a luxury to work with, no need for cling film liners, no leaky seams, and they hold up very well to years of use and abuse. Most "presses" are invariably a piece of wood wrapped in foil or cling and weighted down with a couple of un-opened tin cans. My favorite and best "press" was a hunk of nylon cutting board that I recut to a size to fit terrine molds--dish washer safe and robust to boot!

But-tum... correct me if I'm wrong about the terminology. A "terrine" is a meat item baked/poached in an earthen-ware form, No? Hence the word "Terrine" related to Terre, or earth? A "pate" is a meat paste, and a "pate en croute" is a meat paste baked in a crust, hence the need for a metal form?