• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Sells Cake Carriers?

Stephanie

I didn't know where to post this, but I need to find someplace in the 5 boroughs that sells cake carriers (useful when you are bringing a cake somewhere). This is for Thanksgiving, so mail order is pretty much out of the question. New York Cake & Baking Distributors doesn't sell them and they were pretty snippy when I asked if they knew who might. It doesn't have to be fancy, and I'd prefer it had a handle. Ideas?

Edited by BklynEats (log)

I didn't know where to post this, but I need to find someplace in the 5 boroughs that sells cake carriers (useful when you are bringing a cake somewhere).  This is for Thanksgiving, so mail order is pretty much out of the question. New York Cake & Baking Distributors doesn't sell them and they were pretty snippy when I asked if they knew who might.  It doesn't have to be fancy, and I'd prefer it had a handle.  Ideas?

Steph, I have one (Tupperware from the dark ages) It may not be beautiful but its perfectly acceptable. You can borrow it.

New York Cake & Baking Distributors doesn't sell them and they were pretty snippy when I asked if they knew who might.

They are snippy about almost everything. I try to boycott them if at all possible by either purchasing out of Manhattan or by mail order.

What about a place like Lecters or William Sonoma. You could probably check on line or phone and then go to a local store.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

We recently found a nice one at The Container Store--decent size square, 5" high, clear plastic with a snap-on lid and with a flat, white lift-out base with two handles. Would probably serve you very well. I think the brand name of the line of plastic containers is "Decor" from Australia. We use alot of them.

There is also a very nice long rectangular container in the same line with a lift out base just perfect for a Buche de Noel or other roulade-like cake. It's called a "Marinator/Storer."

I dislike the "customer service" at N Y Cake & Baking as well.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Other places to try are Bed Bath & Beyond, The Kitchen Store (L --- something?), and those big grocery stores that sell tupperware or something like it. Linens and Things, the Container Store. Places like this usually have a stock of plastic things to tote stuff around in. Run down the hall and ask someone's grandmother - all grandmother's have these things. :biggrin:

Thanks for the suggestions. Steve, I'll check out The Container Store; if they sell square carriers then they ought to sell the round ones I'm looking for.

Stefanyb: If I am completely unsuccessful at acquiring a "permanent" carrier, I will certainly take you up on your offer. Thanks!

Edited by BklynEats (log)

You can find great old metal cake carriers at flea markets,and funky antique stores.Cheap and cool.Tip;the 'pawn' shop on 43rd st. and Ninth Ave...great old kitchen equipment finds.

ooh, sounds like a fun place to visit. thanx for the tip!