• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poivron Rouge

Dianabanana

In a delirium of impulse shopping, I bought an 8-oz pouch of Mustapha's brand Poivron Rouge. Is this just basically Moroccan paprika? Does it go by other names? Are there any notable Moroccan or other North African dishes that use it? Google doesn't have much to say on the subject other than that it's a "sweet red pepper."

Use it like Hungarian Paprika. For North African dishes I make Chermoula, an marinade for fish, seafood, poultry and vegetables. It is a mixture of oil, lemon

juice, garlic, cumin, salt, fresh coriander, paprika, pepper, ...

Perfect for seasoning meat and fish and always a small amount at the table.

Yes, I made a potato dish with this, cumin, coriander, garlic, etc. It's fruitier and sweeter than either Spanish or Hungarian paprika, very full flavored and also fairly hot. It's not smoked. It's very good, I would definitely buy it again (although with 8 ounces, I won't have to for a loooong time ...)

Edited to add: I just went and tasted it side-by-side with Hungarian paprika and pimenton. The poivron rouge had a very pure, sweet and spicy flavor; by comparison, the Hungarian paprika tasted more bitter, and the pimenton had kind of a plasticky taste. Bear in mind, though, that paprika is pretty perishable and the poivron rouge is presumably a lot fresher than the other two.

Edited by Dianabanana (log)