• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wholewheat bread

Lior

I need a good reliable recipe for wholewheat bread. My kids eat wholewheat bread. The boys eat a lot of it and it is not cheap -about $3.50 a loaf and they easily eat a loaf a day and I think it is not really worth that price.

I thought it may be fun to try a bread machine homemade version that may be healthier and tastier. I probably cannot get the same flour brands here as in the U.S.

Any trusted and tried recipies? Something not heavy, good for sandwiches...

thanks

Even a non bread machine recipe is welcome...

Hi. Thank you so much! :rolleyes: Yes it looks like this is the type of bread -everyday bread asthey say in the recipe. My main problem is that I can't get dry milk or powder here. It may be available somewhere but not within an hours drive of my house and I am not sure even. My bread machine recipesall have powdered milk!

Next issue- is it possible to sub fresh wet yeast with instant dry? I have fresh that needs to be used but no dry! And stores are now closed for the weekend...

I will go look at AK's other recipes maybe I will find one there.

I had to reply here as I am AMAZED. I just chatted online with someone from KA!!! How incredible. SO I can use regular milk instead of the water andthen no dry milk. I can use mashed potatoes instead of flakes. And 1 TBL packed fresh yeast for the 2.5 tsp of instant dry yeast!! Such quick efficient service-wow. Thanks for the link. Iam now going to get that bread going!! :rolleyes:

Try searching the web for the "Grant Loaf" - Doris Grant's legacy.

No need the machine.

And its EASY and pretty quick.

Next issue- is it possible to sub fresh wet yeast with instant dry? I have fresh that needs to be used but no dry! ...

Wholemeal takes more lifting (because of the weight of wet bran).

So you need good yeast.

An instant-mix yeast is the easiest way of ensuring "good yeast".

But carefully 'started' compressed/"fresh"/block/wet yeast should be fine for a Grant loaf. (Take the liquid for starting the yeast from the liquid detailed in the recipe.)

An old original/authentic Grant loaf would use compressed yeast. It dates from the time when that was "Yeast".

Using milk makes for a softer crumb.

But the milk is better to have some unhelpful proteins dealt with.

So either use milk that has been heated almost to boiling point and cooled, or dried milk powder + water.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Milk or milk powder as an addition to the basic flour-salt-yeast-water, is typically suggested to help the crust brown more (using all milk in place of water also changes the texture of the bread).

My current breadmaker wholewheat is

400g w/w flour

Water*

10g salt

~4g (half teaspoon) sugar

1tbsp olive oil (optional - helps the bread stay moist)

1/2tsp instant yeast

* I'm now using 15% gluten Canadian wholewheat, and it takes 305ml water. Previously I was using a lower-gluten Japanese w/w which took 265ml.

---

My no-knead wholewheat looks like this (Sikisai is the name of the flour supplier in this recipe - it's the lower-gluten Japanese w/w. I haven't made the no-knead with the Canadian yet):

No-knead wholewheat bread 20070725

After Delia Smith, after Doris Grant

3lb / 1362g Sikisai wholewheat flour

30.5oz warm water (32 would be 2/3 hydration)

3tsp instant yeast powder

3tsp brown sugar

5tsp salt

Straight method

Warm the flour in a low oven for 20 mins. Mix all ingredients to form a dough that holds together

(Sponge-and-dough method

This works but it's too wet, soft and elastic

Mix 1lb 8oz of the flour with 18.5 fl oz of the water, and all of the yeast, cover without sealing, and leave in a warm place overnight or for 12-24 hours. Warm remaining flour in a low oven for 10 mins. Add remaining water and mix to a batter with no stringy pieces of sponge left. Add remaining flour and other ingredients, and mix to form a dough)

Both methods

Divide in two, flatten each piece into a rectangle, and fold the ends thirds over towards the middle. Lay in buttered loaf tins. Dust each with extra flour.. Place on wire rack in oven pre-heated for fermentation, cover with large plastic bag and leave for 30-40 mins (sponge & dough) or an hour (straight). Remove, place on top of oven and pre-heat to 190C. Bake at 190C for 40-45 minutes, remove from tins and return to oven upside down for further 5-10 minutes. Properly-baked loaves sound hollow when tapped from below. Cool on a wire rack and only wrap and/or freeze when completely cold.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I gather you're in USA - I'm in Britian & I recommend a book by Martha Rose Schulman (Shulman?) called the Bread Book which may be American in origin. Her wholemeal recipe uses a sponge, which is brilliant as it reduces the work you have to do. IMHO it makes a far nicer loaf than breadmakers, and she has it organised so it really takes no time at all. I think she's adapted Tassajarra Bread book recipes whihc I'm pretty sure are also American.

poppyseedbagel -what a great name! No I am not from The U.S. if you meant me (!). But I would be happy to get a good recommendation for a book on bread-including gluten free. I will amazon that book-thanks.

Dougal- I managed to get the instant dry yeast so I used that-I made the loaf according to the recipe from King A. -it is in the machine now. I like fresh yeast because it makes me feel I am using yeast-does that make any sense?

I did not heat the milk-oops- Ihope it will come out okay. I will alsotry the Grant Loaf- after this one gets tried and hopefully eaten

Thanks so so much!

Blether - thanks for the info on milk. How would it change the consistency-softer? I used allmilk since I have no powder and this is what the online chatter suggested. We will soon see.

I didn't understand where to see your bread-maybe on the grant site?

I am not sure if I can get this gluten flour- I am not sure-is it added gluten to the flour? Perhaps I can find a place to buy gluten. Can this recipe of yours work in a bread machine? I will try it after Dougal's and after I understand this gluten flour! I have a kitchenaid so even withoutthe machine it isn't too much of a hassle I am sure!

Thank you very much! You are kind to write such an informative post-I know it takes time and patience... :smile:

Edited by Lior (log)

I don't use milk or milk powder in whole-wheat bread-machine bread either - it seems to make the loaf too sticky when baked.

I use a bit more olive oil than Blether does, and often add about 1 T of vinegar, as it makes the flavor less bland.

With my bread-machine (very cheap Japanese brand) I find that the standard bread course seems to work better than the whole-wheat bread course. Several other people have told me the same thing, so it may be worth experimenting to see which you prefer.

I use at least 1 t of instant yeast (SAF red, as it gives me a more consistent rise than the Japanese yeast I was using) per 350-400g whole-wheat (but also use less than recommended when making white bread), because my family prefer the springier texture, but a dense loaf is good too.

Flour and water...experiment!! It depends on how fine your flour is, as well as protein/ash etc. Needs to be a bit stickier/wetter than a bread-machine white dough. (I also use about 300 ml liquid, including oil, then I hang about till it finishes mixing, and decide whether or not to add another 1-3 T).

Blether - thanks for the info on milk. How would it change the consistency-softer?

Yes, softer, more breakable.

I didn't understand where to see your bread-maybe on the grant site?

The recipe I posted below the three dashes (---) is in fact one version of the Grant loaf Dougal mentioned. It's very easy and is my own favourite. The texture is quite dense, so if you (your sons) want fluffier bread, you may find the bread machine is the answer; or maybe your Kitchenaid. And I just copied the recipe from my own notes, it really wasn't any trouble at all.

I am not sure if I can get this gluten flour- I am not sure-is it added gluten to the flour?

Gluten is the name of the protein that is in all wheat. It is what holds your bread or your pastry tiogether - the more you knead the dough, the more the gluten joins together to make the dough strong and elastic. Each flour that you buy will have a specific gluten content. So the one I mentioned is just a high-gluten flour. It's not necessary to have high-gluten flour to make bread, but it is usual to use flour that has a higher-than-average gluten content: 'bread flour'.

Flour with higher gluten content needs more water to make a dough with the same consistency. That's the only reason I mentioned it. You might find 'bread flour' or 'strong bread flour' at the market - that means it's higher-gkluten flour, that's all. I fact you can make bread with ordinary household flour, but bread made from lower-gluten flour goes stale more quickly (as well as making a loaf with a different texture).

The traditional rule-of-thumb for a bread dough is "2/3 hydration". That means, for example, if you use 1kg flour, you need 2/3kg - 667g, in other words 667ml - of water. For a higher-gkuten ('stronger') flour you need a bit more. For a lower-gluten ('weaker') flour you need a bit less. As baroness said, you just need to check the dough ball the first couple of times you use a flour that's new to you. You'll soon get used to how it should look - add more water if the machine is struggling or the dough seems too thick. If it's too sloppy, add some flour.

It's hard to make bread exactly the way you want it - it takes some practice and learning - but it's also hard to really mess a loaf up (unless you forget to put any yeast in !). Just try it.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Okay, so I guess I may be in the group that uses water over milk. I used 1% milk and it seems okay. The kids, even my youngerdaughter likethe bread!1 YAy! I need to experiment more now-and make the recipes given here. Helenjp - I used the machine and the whole wheat setting but I don't know whatitwould look or taste like if I used the regular setting! Thanks for the tip. I have a Morphy Richards and have no idea ifit is a good one or not!

I liked the explanation on 2/3 hydration-good to understand how to develop a recipe and all. I used whole wheat flour that did not specifically say for bread but I have seen those flours so next time around I will get them. This is satisfying for sure!

The bread came out to about 2.5 inches in height( abit less than whatit should be I think). Also, what is the best way to store it for a day or two if needed? Or is it best to slice it and freeze?

Thanks again everyone!

Here are pictures of my loaf!

wholewheat loaf.jpg

wholewheat 2.jpg

Looks basically good, don't you think?

Knobbly top and picture of crumb makes me think you could maybe use a bit more liquid...but doesn't look excessively "tight".

If you DO find a whole-wheat bread flour, it will certainly take more liquid than a cake/pastry flour.

I find that the protein content of "bread" flours varies widely. If it's more than 10% protein, you should be OK, and if it's over 11.5% definitely suitable for bread...but I rarely find a whole-wheat flour that high (after all, since it includes the entire wheat berry, the protein content is necessarily lower than white bread flour).

Hydration: sometimes I put everything in the bread mixer except for 1 cup of the flour plus the yeast, and let it mix just until the water is all mixed in. Then I switch it off and leave it for an hour or more (this is not a technique for really cold weather).

Later, I add the remaining flour and yeast, and start the bread machine cycle from the beginning. The idea is to ensure that the tougher outer layers of the wheat are thoroughly wet. However...I still haven't decided whether doing this makes much difference or not!