• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

On Tuesday Kerry and I headed off to the big city to take care of an errand related to the upcoming Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145093-plan-2014-chocolate-confectionery-workshop-las-vegas/

On our way back from Toronto we dropped in to see member Alleguede at his place of business, Ma Maison, http://www.ur2busy2cook.com/store.php

Sensible people would have stopped for lunch there and been guaranteed something delicious but instead we found The Dundas Street Grille. I will say no more.

image.jpg

First clue that you are in a diner is always the coffee cups.

image.jpg

Second clue--any sauce will arrive in a plastic package (the things with the blue labels were seafood sauce).

image.jpg

Kerry's classic club

image.jpg

My far-from classic hot chicken.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday Kerry and I met up with a friend from Kerry's school days to do some serious thrift-store shopping and enjoy lunch together. Currently the restaurant promotion Taste of Burlington is in full swing so we decided to check out one of the participating restaurants. (Participating restaurants offer prix fixe menus to showcase their offerings and draw in customers.)

We chose Paradiso (http://burlington.paradisorestaurant.com/Home/tabid/9204/Default.aspx)

Focaccia and olive oil made an early appearance

image.jpg

Our guest really wanted to try the prix fixe menu and ordered the Caesar salad

image.jpg

The trout and shrimp on a pea risotto (and dessert but more of that later)

image.jpg

Kerry and I ordered 3 appetizers to share.

Sesame cornmeal crusted calamari with cocktail sauce, garlic aioli and grilled lemon

image.jpg

Antipasto board with a selection of meats from Pingue Prosciutto of Niagara Falls. Capicolla, sopresatta, cacciatore, and Paradiso chorizo with house blended mustard, house made pickles and marinated olives

image.jpg

House pate. Andouille sausage and chicken liver pate with mushroom ketchup and truffle onion jam

image.jpg

image.jpg

At the end of a long and leisurely meal our server brought us each a slim slice of the dessert that was part of our guest's prix fixe meal -- a lovely touch. It was a rich flourless chocolate concoction.

image.jpg

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you Anna, (and Kerry) for our weekly fix. What would the rest of us, living in the restaurant boonies, do without something to dream about? That chocolate dessert looks delicious.

We had guests for lunch yesterday and I did serve Dark Chocolate Ice Cream for dessert . Our male guest had never had homemade ice cream before and chocolate is his favorite flavor and he was most appreciative.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

With the weather still tanking around -20 with the windchill, the only thing that appealed yesterday was pho.

image.jpg

The required garnish plate.

image.jpg

My usual rare and well-done beef.

image.jpg

A change from our usual appetizers. A papaya salad

image.jpg

And Kerry's brave venture into the world of tripe and tendon especially for rotuts! (Judging by her reaction such an adventure is likely a one time thing!)

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Gosh, just have to share that I am having 1 1/2 plain baked potatoes for lunch today at Wendy's. Living the good life...

Correction: we actually had fish and chips at a local Captain George. It doesn't compare with the exotic nature of Anna and Kerry's luncheon, but I certainly enjoyed it.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

On Wednesday Kerry and I chose our lunch venue from the Taste of Burlington once again.

image.jpg

Bread (olive oil and balsamic vinegar were on the table).

image.jpg

Calamari

image.jpg

And the worst "Gourmet" pizza that either of us has ever had foisted upon us. Think Dr. Oetker but worse. Hence no restaraunt name since we don't claim to be reviewers.

My 2004 eG Blog

Today eG member chefmd joined Kerry and me at my house for a lunch of charcuterie and cheeses. Sorry there are no photos of the whole spread but you can see the lovely semolina bread that Kerry baked, the assorted olives and red pepper jelly, some of the cured meats and an amazing selection of cheeses only a few of which we sampled. The Five Brothers and the Chateau de Bourgone were superb.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you, ladies who lunch.  The spread was unbelievable.  It was quite a disappointment to come home to leaking fridge (guess who did not close the door completely).  It took a wonderful cocktail with Kerry's bitters to calm me down

Today I met up with a former coworker at a local pizza joint.  This pizza here is to die for.  They  had a buffet so needless to say I stuffed myself with BLT pizza, taco pizza, and of course some great salads.

Thank you, ladies who lunch.  The spread was unbelievable.  It was quite a disappointment to come home to leaking fridge (guess who did not close the door completely).  It took a wonderful cocktail with Kerry's bitters to calm me down

It was delightful to see you again - and sharing a meal makes it so much more fun!

After being grounded by a winter storm on Wednesday and Thursday Kerry and I finally managed to get together yesterday. Restaurants that open for lunch on Saturday can sometimes be hard to find. We were in Hamilton on a mission and found our way to Ushao for a second time. As before we opted for the Korean BBQ.

image.jpg

Our cooking surface pre-heating.

image.jpg

Selection of banchan.

image.jpg

Dipping sauce.

image.jpg

Rice.

image.jpg

Miso soup.

image.jpg

Our BBQ ingredients.

image.jpg

The cooking begins.

image.jpg

Squid takoyaki (for you, rotuts).

image.jpg

Osmanthus jelly.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday Kerry and I were lured out to Guelph, Ontario on a mission and thought it would be great to link up with Matt Kayahara and Matt Hayday for lunch. Unfortunately they were out of town and not available. Undaunted we decided to return to a place they had introduced us to when we were able to link up:

http://bakerstreetstation.ca

It was a wise decision.
image.jpg

For me lamb stew en croute with some dressed greens.

image.jpg

For Kerry the lobster and braised beef rib tacos with a side of loaded fries.

In truth we shared both dishes. Kerry had a coffee and I enjoyed a 1/2 pint of a micro brew.

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)]

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog