• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

How come You Two have all the fun ..............

:laugh:

what are the non-feet parts?

I am so annoyed that the photos won't post! I can identify:

Spicy chicken gizzards

Marinated Pork ear

Coriander beef omasum

Perhaps Kerry will have more to add.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry re-sent the photos so I will try to re-post

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And an additional amusement. See the sign SEEDLESS POMEGRANATES ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

REALLY?

I was contacted by a moderator to offer help posting photos but as you can see and as I suspected, the fault was at my end. But if you don't know how to post photos or have difficulty PLEASE, PLEASE contact a moderator. They want you to be able to share your photos.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

.....snip.....

And an additional amusement. See the sign SEEDLESS POMEGRANATES ?

....and snip again....

REALLY?

I was contacted by a moderator to offer help posting photos but as you can see and as I suspected, the fault was at my end. But if you don't know how to post photos or have difficulty PLEASE, PLEASE contact a moderator. They want you to be able to share your photos.

Seriously??? Someone thought *seedless* pomegranates would be a good thing? Curious since the only edible part is the seed/aril. Unless someone went through and meticulously took all the little, tiny, itty, bitty seeds out of the arils.....

Gotta love it.

• Like 1

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

And strangely they were full of seeds! Maybe not as crunchy as regular seeds though didn't have a comparison. Maybe they meant to label them "albino pomegranates".

Yesterday we returned to Bombay Grill in Burlington. Cold and blustery weather drove us to the warm smells and flavours of Indian food after a strenuous bout of thrift-store shopping.

image.jpg

We were so hungry that we forgot our manners and began devouring the appetizers even before we had taken a photograph. Despite the cold weather a Kingfisher beer for me. More sensibly, Kerry had Indian tea.

image.jpg

We shared Lamb Tikka still steaming from the tandoor

image.jpg

and Chicken Bhuna

image.jpg

Basmati rice and their amazing naan bread.

There were enough leftovers for us each to take home a lunch or dinner for another day.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I guess the commercial tandoor is hotter than my Big Easy. The top of the naan is blistered and golden, and I bet the bottom is perfect too, without having to flip it over. Mine flattens because I turn it over and cook it some more. I still do enjoy mine, but so envious of the ones in East Indian restaurants. The ones we get here at the restaurant are quite thin / delicate.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I guess the commercial tandoor is hotter than my Big Easy. The top of the naan is blistered and golden, and I bet the bottom is perfect too, without having to flip it over. Mine flattens because I turn it over and cook it some more. I still do enjoy mine, but so envious of the ones in East Indian restaurants. The ones we get here at the restaurant are quite thin / delicate.

The underside was AMAZING. I wish we had taken a photograph. It was also very fluffy.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N : Next time please?

Without fail!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Next time the Lunch Ladies are at an Indian Emporium, they show ask about this beer:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2650/6374/?ba=BoitSansSoif

I discovered in at an old haunt in BOS: Kebab and Curry, where else?

"" smokier sweet malt aroma emerged with faint apple. ""

good with Tika.

Edited by rotuts (log)

rotuts,

Thanks for the suggestion but in the suburbs the beer choices are limited!

We returned to Lemon Grass on Wednesday.

image.jpg

Complimentary hot and sour soup

image.jpg

image.jpg

Crispy rolls with dipping sauce

image.jpg

Kerry ordered red Thai curry. Perfectly fine curry but not what she ordered!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Crispy duck with peanut sauce.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Today Kerry and I met up with eG member Marlene of princess camping fame (http://forums.egullet.org/topic/70840-camping-princess-style/). She was midway on her journey from Calgary to her cottage in Bracebridge and stopped for a few days in her old neighbourhood. We dragged her on our usual tour of thrift shops before finding our way back to Bombay Grill.

There we each ordered a dish and then shared.

First up onion bhajis (there were six but we were rude again and started eating before photographing!

image.jpg

Then naan

image.jpg

image.jpg

(Both sides for Dejah!)

Basmati rice

image.jpg

Butter chicken, lamb roganjosh and beef balti (from right to left)

image.jpg

Closeup of the lamb

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

It is so great to be in Oakville for a few days, and even better to be able to once more, be part of the Ladies Who Lunch! Thanks Anna and Kerry for a fabulous day, a great lunch and some great shopping. I even found something that will work great at the cottage!

• Like 2

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks, Anna. for the naan! Now, can you try to sweet talk them into divulging their recipe? :rolleyes:

The look really light. Guess I'll keep experimenting.

Great to see Marlene's post here and in Camping Princess Style. Have missed your presence on eGUllet!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

After a couple of errands, Kerry and I headed out to Markham and J Town. This is a small Japanese enclave housing everything from a beauty salon to an izakaya (pub). Depending on the health of your bank account you can buy Tamworth or Berkshire pork or $700 per kilo wagyu beef.

Check this

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145009-yard-sale-thrift-store-junk-heap-shopping-part-2/page-7#entry1943763

topic for our food-related finds which we will post a bit later.

I had scoped out J Town on the internet a day or so ago and was very excited to see a pub (finally licensed!) serving Japanese bar food and suggested to Kerry that we should go there for lunch. She fully endorsed the idea until we arrived and were checking it out. Right next door was a Ramen House! Kerry's in her ramen phase and we were in J Town to source ingredients for her experiments. I could see the hesitation in her face, feel the pain of her indecision-- pub food? ramen? ramen? pub food? Being the sport she is, pub food won. I don't think either of us had any regrets.

She took photos of the menu posted in the window but reflections make them pretty much illegible. Here's their on-line one:

http://izakayaju.ca/menu.html

First an amusing translation from the menu!

image.jpg

Then my beer

image.jpg

Octopus balls (no snickering)

image.jpg

Salad

image.jpg

Miso-marinated black cod

image.jpg

Chicken yakitori

image.jpg

Stuffed chicken wings

image.jpg

The best dish of all--chicken knuckles

image.jpg

A view of the table

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

What are chicken knuckles? Looks like chicken karaage?

Think chicken karaage with cartilage instead of meat. Sounds disgusting but is very addictive.

My 2004 eG Blog

Yum. What was the chicken stuffed with?

Pork!
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog