• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

I too am swooning over the Naan bread. Makes me wish I had a tandoori oven. The veggie samosas look nice an fat too.

Their naan is always good but this time it was extraordinary. I could easily have lunched on nothing but naan.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi all,

My GF and I have gotten together twice for lunch this month. A couple of weeks ago we visited an old favorite we hadn't been to since last October, the Flying Dutchman in Kemah. My GF had the Shrimp and Crab Cobb Salad,

image.jpg

and I had the best dish I've had in a long time,

image.jpg

Mini Crab Cakes on Crawfish Etouffee - topped with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat and Lemon Butter.

This week we returned to the Cheesecake Factory (again) and my GF had the Cuban Sandwich with a Green Salad,

image.jpg

and I had the (Asian) Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Wraps.

image.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

A new Asian grocery has opened in the downtown mall in Hamilton. It also has a very large food court. Anna and I spent the better part of the day (and a large percentage of our food budgets) there yesterday.

Decided to have lunch from the food court before looking at the perishable stuff.

DSCN2001.jpg

Ramen for Anna

DSCN2003.jpg

A little seaweed salad

DSCN2004.jpg

Har gow

DSCN2007.jpg

Shrimp and garlic chive

DSCN2006.jpg

Taro

DSCN2005.jpg

something with scallion (was kinda ham like)

• Like 1

image.jpg

And here's the haul! I am just now stashing the last couple of items. Missing is a napa cabbage as big as a newborn babe which I turned into kimchee last night, some fresh meat--ground pork and a small beef rib steak/roast and gyoza wrappers, lumpia wrappers and a package of tocino all of which I stashed in the freezer.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I personally very much prefer it. it seems to have a bit more depth for all the various sauces etc Ive been able to find.

LKK Hoisin has a lot less dimension to me than KC. but thats my only my view.

LKK is very popular and much easier to find than KC, except in Chinatowns and Chinatown type markets.

thank you for the pic of the haul.

is this Lee Kum Kee ?

attachicon.gifLKK.jpg

have you and KB been able to try Koon Chun if its available in CAN?

http://www.koonchun.com.hk/eng/product.html

It is LKK. I can't swear to the other brand but the labels look very familiar. There are none of these in my pantry. Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

if you run into a Koon Chun pick one up thats similar to a LKK you ordinarily use and see.

here is a collection i usually have around:

KC.jpg

Hoisin is a good one to try as its a very common jar'd ingredient many people use.

Amoy is another brand to look for and try:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/v/vspfiles/photos/HAmoyHSSYQJ-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/Amoy-Hoi-Sin-Sauce-p/hamoyhssyqj.htm&h=500&w=316&sz=63&tbnid=RJ8-_wBorMDXyM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=57&zoom=1&usg=__rd-ryVrFZV7Z6BX8AqEeK-zB1qU=&docid=0OybYD_a0i6neM&sa=X&ei=dAAdUobBGPW8sAT144GwDg&ved=0CEYQ9QEwBw&dur=543

there stuff looks like this, but i could not find a web page that showed all their stuff

Anna N--have you used Filipino tomato sauce before? It's likely very sweet. Taste it a little before you use it in something like spaghetti sauce, because you may end up not liking it at all.

Thanks, Rona. I had planned to use it in a Filipino dish! I may still not like it but it won't likely show up in a spaghetti sauce.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N--have you used Filipino tomato sauce before? It's likely very sweet. Taste it a little before you use it in something like spaghetti sauce, because you may end up not liking it at all.

Thanks, Rona. I had planned to use it in a Filipino dish! I may still not like it but it won't likely show up in a spaghetti sauce.

Anna, when you do use it, I'll be curious to hear what you think of it, and whether it's worth looking for.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Today Kerry and I found our way to My-Thai restaurant on the Lakeshore in Burlington. The server presented us with the lunch menu which only offered set combinations and nary an appetizer. This had to be put right so we quickly requested a proper menu.

image.jpg

To show we have a little class Kerry wanted to show off the folded napkins!

image.jpg

The Appetizer Assortment for Two: shrimp chips, Thai spring rolls, satay, fresh spring rolls and coconut shrimp.

image.jpg

Kerry chose the Sweet Soy Noodles

image.jpg

I went for the Spicy Noodles. These were so good but the appetizers had filled me up! Luckily I got to take home enough of the noodles to make a fine dinner.

My 2004 eG Blog

The Lunch Ladies always seem to eat well. Guess this time they forgot the Calamari !

Nope! Never happen. Just forgot to mention it. It is on the appetizer platter on the right between the satay and the coconut shrimp.

My 2004 eG Blog

Have a little bit of catchup to do.

On Sunday, Kerry and I and the Rug Rat (Kira) had a quck errand in Mississauga to help out another eG member. Any time we go on a road trip then lunch becomes a foregone conclusion. We were both feeling the effects of pho withdrawal. Since we were just a few kilometres from the Mississauga branch of Pho Bau Do Restaurant it was a natural fit.

image.jpg

Rare and well-done beef pho for me.

image.jpg

Chicken and beef pho for Kerry.

image.jpg

Condiments.

image.jpg

Kerry brought a home made quiche for the Rug Rat.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On Wednesday Kerry and I got together for our usual weekly shopping/lunch date. We had a number of errands to run and found ourselves in Burlington at lunch time. We spotted Hibachi Teppanyaki and decided to take a chance. We were greeted by the host who seemed to ask "Would you like a real table?" I was about to ask if we could at least see the unreal tables when Kerry answered in the affirmative. DAMN. Well, of course, the question had really been about a grill table so teppanyaki it would be.

image.jpg

Miso soup and the ubiquitous insipid salad that every Japanese restaurant seems to consider obligatory.

image.jpg

Steak on the griddle.

image.jpg

Steak served up on the plate

image.jpg

Building an onion volcano

image.jpg

Filling it with oil.

image.jpg

The blazing volcano. The chef reached beneath the grill, pulled out a squeeze bottle shaped like a man complete with all necessary anatomical parts and extinguished the flame. As an aside he used a regular squeeze bottle to extinguish the blazing onion served to the three business men at the neighbouring grill! Guess he was hoping for a giggle from us girls -- and he got it.

image.jpg

The shrimp on one of our plates

image.jpg

After he had finished serving us he tried the flip into our open mouths of bits of broccoli. He missed every time. Not so when doing it with the three business men! Make of that what you will.

He then made fried rice on the grill and stashed two bowls of it under the counter before cleaning the grill.

It was a fun lunch. Not likely to get any Michelin stars but we were amused and satisfied.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday Kerry and I headed to Buffalo to grab some groceries and various other necessities which are either cheaper or more readily available below the border. As usual we met up with another eG member, whose screen name escapes me, and she intoduced us to Joe's Deli.

image.jpg

Tuna melt.

image.jpg

Kerry's Reuben

image.jpg

My pork sliders.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Monday Anna and I headed out to Brampton to get some supplies from ULINE and to search for an east Indian housewares store (an unsuccessful search).

Not having any idea where to get lunch - we asked the GPS what restaurants were around. It came up with Ocean's supermarket - a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone!

We opted for a couple of their dim sum items -

DSCN2050.jpg

Meatballs

DSCN2051.jpg

Kalbi cut ribs

DSCN2052.jpg

Har gow and garlicy spare ribs

DSCN2055.jpg

BBQ ribs

Today we found ourself in Toronto - and realized we were close to Mengrai Thai.

We both had a lunch combination.

DSCN2056.jpg

Pumpkin soup for me.

DSCN2057.jpg

Tom yum for Anna

DSCN2058.jpg

#56 for me (red thai curry with pineapple and lychee)

DSCN2060.jpg

Garlic shrimp with pineapple for Anna

DSCN2061.jpg

Mango ice cream

DSCN2062.jpg

Lychee ice cream

After lunch - we hit Chinatown - in search of a nice big wok shovel to use in the Big Green Egg - tired of burning my arms.