• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

I like looking for good food around when I'm out with my girl friends. Our criteria for good food is where food priced below RM25 with quiet, cozy environment for us to chit-chat a bit on our current issues. I personally feels that food is something light to start off our conversation and keep us contented.

Lunch in restaurants come with a good price with lunch set and complimentary drinks and cakes.

Sipping tea with my girls is something I'm looking forward every weekends.

The only financial definition for the RM I could find after MUCH googling is the Malaysian Ringgit? Is this what RM25 means? Thanks.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It has been a busy, busy Spring, but my GF and I have managed to lunch together at least once a month since I last posted on this topic. In April, we had lunch at the Stingaree Restaurant in Crystal Beach on Bolivar after visiting one of the bird sanctuaries in High Island. I had grilled shrimp and my GF had fried oysters. In May, we returned to Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar at their League City location where my GF had their clams and I had their Greek salad with fried chicken. Sorry, no photos from either of those lunches. But, just this week, we went back to one of our favorites - Tookie's in Seabrook! Tookie's Squealer Burger was recently featured on the Travel Channel's Burger Land program, and while I opted for a bunless Chili Cheeseburger,

image.jpg

my GF decided to change it up and forego her usual #99 and go for the Squealer!

image.jpg

And we shared an order of Tookie's awesome Onion Rings:

image.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

Fabulous looking rings!

Today was a comfort food lunch - pho at Pho dau bo - the original Hamilton location.

DSCN1282.jpg

Got a couple of grilled beef fresh spring rolls.

DSCN1280.jpg

Rare and well done beef for Anna.

DSCN1278.jpg

Chicken and rare beef for me.

Some lovely little dish finds at the thrift stores today.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Phos are gorgeous, except for the chilies, and I would LOVE to see the little dishes you found. I'm always looking for cute mise-en-place dishes, just for my own satisfaction!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Phos are gorgeous, except for the chilies, and I would LOVE to see the little dishes you found. I'm always looking for cute mise-en-place dishes, just for my own satisfaction!

Just for you! See the "yard sale" topic.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday Anna and I found ourselves extremely peckish and right next to the Mandarin restaurant again. It's a buffet - so guarantees instant satiety which was just what we needed.

DSCN1290.jpg

A plate for Anna.

DSCN1293.jpg

A rather white bread version of thai mango salad.

DSCN1294.jpg

A plate for me.

Neglected to take pictures of the assorted dessert items we chose - but the flan and the mango pudding were perfectly acceptable.

Today I took a quick trip to Buffalo to pick up some necessities and met up with patris for lunch. We headed to the interesting West Side Bazaar that had Thai, Burmese, Ethiopian and Peruvian choices.

We opted for Ethiopian - an excellent choice. The owner assured Patty that her items were not spicy hot - perhaps she has a bit more tolerance for heat!

DSCN1295.jpg

Patty's vegetarian choice.

DSCN1296.jpg

My 'mixed grill'.

The spinach dish was spicy, salty goodness! The cabbage wonderful and the meats nice and tender. And of course the injera was the perfect foil for the heat.

Thanks Kerry. Tookie's onion rings are always awesome! Your meals are looking very appetizing, too.

Yesterday, my GF and I had lunch at the new Cheesecake Factory that opened at the end of 2012, just north of us by Baybrook Mall in Friendswood. Their menu is huge! We made our selections from their SkinnyLicious offerings.

Turkey%2520and%2520Avocado%2520Sandwich.

My GF ordered the Turkey and Avocado Sandwich, which came with smoked bacon and tomato on a toasted bun and a very nice green salad (instead of the usual fries).

Asian%2520Chicken%2520Salad.JPG

I had the Asian Chicken Salad and, since my GF was doing the driving, a glass of Chardonnay.

We were both very happy with our choices!

Thursday we had the pleasure of meeting up for lunch with Matt Kayahara and Matthew Hayday at Baker Street Station in Guelph.

DSCN1298.jpg

Pork hock beignets.

DSCN1305.jpg

Bone marrow.

DSCN1300.jpg

Bangers and colcannon mash.

DSCN1302.jpg

Burger.

DSCN1303.jpg

Fish and chips.

DSCN1304.jpg

Bacon and potato soup.

Quite a meal Kerry et al - would love more detail on the pork hock beignets as they look expertly fried; wondering about the sauce and was the filling just shredded tender juicy hock? Also what is the dark shredded stuff on the bangers and mash - thin crisp bacon or onion? Man....

Quite a meal Kerry et al - would love more detail on the pork hock beignets as they look expertly fried; wondering about the sauce and was the filling just shredded tender juicy hock? Also what is the dark shredded stuff on the bangers and mash - thin crisp bacon or onion? Man....

The beignets were, as you mentioned, shredded hock. Served with a nice spicy mustard! They also do a short rib beignet - they changed the chalk board just after we ordered.

Anna will have to address the question of what's on the bangers and mash - but it looks like parsnip to me.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I had been out of town for a week, so my GF and I got together for lunch last Friday to get caught up. We had liked the freshness of our food at the Cheesecake Factory, plus their menu is so large we had many items we still wanted to try, so that is where we went.

My GF opted for the Hamburger on a Toasted Bun with a Green Salad from the SkinnyLicious menu.

image.jpg

And I had the Vietnamese Shrimp Summer Rolls from the Appetizer menu.

image.jpg

Thursday we had the pleasure of meeting up for lunch with Matt Kayahara and Matthew Hayday at Baker Street Station in Guelph.

I was just looking at the baker street station menu on friday trying to decide if it was worth a visit.. We will definitely be going there sooner than later. :)

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

• 4 weeks later...

attachicon.gifDSCN1304.jpg

Bacon and potato soup.

I recognize that bowl from a previous visit to Baker Street Station.

Just found this topic a few days ago & have now read the whole 15 pages! I have really enjoyed every bit of it - great pictures, too.

attachicon.gifDSCN1304.jpg

Bacon and potato soup.

I recognize that bowl from a previous visit to Baker Street Station.

Just found this topic a few days ago & have now read the whole 15 pages! I have really enjoyed every bit of it - great pictures, too.

Glad you found us - I'll link you to what we are up to right now in case you haven't stumbled across that yet either.

Yesterday Anna and I had a late lunch in Sudbury at My Thai - and reported about it over here on our thread about Making Memories in Manitoulin.

• 2 weeks later...

Anna and I had a difficult day today - we initially headed to a favourite Japanese restaurant - closed today. So we headed to Salad Thai - closed today! We ended up at Yame Sushi in Oakville. Anna was quite thrown by the all you can eat but with small plates. Once she adjusted she realized it is exactly how she prefers to eat - a little of everything.

DSCN1743.jpg

Miso soup

DSCN1744.jpg

Beer for Anna (I'm working)

DSCN1746.jpg

Inari

DSCN1747.jpg

Tonkatsu and fried dumplings

DSCN1748.jpg

Dragon roll - none for Anna with her crab allergy

DSCN1749.jpg

Spring rolls

DSCN1750.jpg

BBQ eel hand roll for Anna

DSCN1751.jpg

Stir fried noodle with chicken

DSCN1752.jpg

A little tempura for dessert

• Like 2

My GF and I got together for lunch a couple of times in July.

Early in the month, we visited the Ichibon Japanese Seafood and Steakhouse restaurant in Kemah. I decided to have two of their appetizers for my meal:

image.jpg

Teriyaki Mushrooms

image.jpg

Yaki Tori

My GF had an appetizer of

image.jpg

Crabmeat Puffs, and for her main, their

image.jpg

Ebi Tempura Bento Box, which also came with soup and salad. She took a loaded to-go box home!

And later in the month, we returned to Farley Girls Cafe in Galveston. My GF chose their

image.jpg

Shrimp Po-Boy, which came with French Fries. And I had for their Grilled Fish Tacos.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Anna and I hit the Bombay Grill for lunch yesterday - after a wonderful shop at Homesense, where we found all sorts of nice kitchen goodies.

DSCN1796.jpg

An appetizer plate with a meat and a veg samosa as well as aloo tiki and veg pakora

DSCN1798.jpg

Lamb saag.

DSCN1797.jpg

Chicken bhuna.