• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

Hi all,

I have a few lunch reports to make.

Just after the first of the year, we satisfied a craving for burgers with a lunch visit to Tookie's in Seabrook. No photos this time but the burgers were just as delicious as posted in the past.

In late February we drove over to San Leon and had lunch at the TopWater Grill. First visit in a year!

I started with the Calamari Rings and we forgot to take any photos before we started to eat!

TopWaterGrill-12.jpg

My GF had the Lobster Bisque. Sorry no photo!

For our mains, I had their Grilled Shrimp Salad with honey mustard dressing,

TopWaterGrill-14.jpg

and my GF had their Cobb Salad with ranch dressing. Both salads were very fresh and delicious!

TopWaterGrill-15.jpg

This week we visited a place new to us, Farley Girl's in Galveston. We loved this place! Great service from the staff, really good food, and free validated parking. We will definitely be returning soon!

View%2520from%2520our%2520table.jpg

I had their Classic Cobb Salad

Cobb%2520Salad.jpg

and my GF had their French Dip.

French%2520Dip.jpg

• Like 1

Those are some fine looking salads.

We have a little catching up to do too - I've been a little lax.

Last week Anna and I headed down to Buffalo and had lunch with Patris. The restaurant was Ambrosia.

DSCN0993.jpg

Patty had skordalla, gigarrtes (lima beans in tomato sauce) and tzatziki.

DSCN0995.jpg

I opted for something called Ambrosia chicken - kind of chicken croutons on a salad.

DSCN0996.jpg

Anna - the western sandwich.

Anna and I headed off to Toronto for the second time this week (Monday we went to the Canadian Food and Restaurant Association show). We managed to find the hides I needed to re-cover my 65 year old sofa in short order - which gave us the opportunity to hit Momofuku Noodle Bar before the hordes descended.

DSCN1008.jpg

Of course we had to try the pork buns.

DSCN1003.jpg

Ginger scallion noodles for me.

DSCN1005.jpg

momofuku ramen for Anna

DSCN1009.jpg

Burdock salad with tamarind, chili and tofu.

DSCN1012.jpg

Cauliflower with white kimchi and crispy noodle.

Last week we were running around in Burlington and decided to drop in to Pomelo - one of our favourites.

DSCN1015.jpg

Surprise, surprise.

DSCN1017.jpg

Anna decided to try spring roll Bun again after our initial disappointment with it - and was rewarded!

DSCN1020.jpg

I opted for the Tom Yum pho - chock full of seafood.

Today Anna and I headed to Niagara College to make some arrangements for the upcoming chocolate workshop and decided to head to Niagara Falls to have lunch at Hotai - an amazing Japanese restaurant that I have reported on here before. Sadly - it didn't open until 4 - so we had to go elsewhere.

Our choice today was Pho Xyclo.

DSCN1022.jpg

This is a really crunchy spring roll inside a salad roll - excellent juxtaposition.

DSCN1023.jpg

We thought we might be disappointed in this rendition of calamari with onion, peppers and chili's - but it was excellent.

DSCN1026.jpg

Pho ga with some rare beef for me.

DSCN1028.jpg

Pho 104 for Anna - not sure what was in there.

DSCN1029.jpg

The usual accompaniments.

No photos, but frankly it wasn't a photogenic meal. I dined solo at a vegetarian Indian buffet for lunch. Had a fairly limited offering, but everything was interesting and had differing spice levels, I tried a spoonful of everything. Sweet and sour broccoli (sort of odd, the coating/sauce seemed like tomato paste base), some kind of daal, paneer makhni, some kind of cabbage dish (chopped up very fine and mixed with carrots), vada (crispy and not too doughy), aloo gobi, basmati rice. Dessert was pineapple halwa (the one item not of a browish/beige color!).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Kerry and I headed up to Waterloo last Monday to investigate a going-out-of-business sale. After spending far too much money (the proprietor was someone we both knew and liked) we went in search of lunch. Our first choice, a Japanese restaurant familiar to Kerry, was closed at lunch so we let the GPS decide our lunch destination.

I’m embarrassed to say that I do not remember the name of the restaurant. I did grab a take-out menu but even that seems to have disappeared. Perhaps Kerry’s memory is better than mine and she will fill in the blanks.

We opted for a selection of appetizers this time.

A complimentary bowl of chicken and cabbage soup:

chicken and cabbage soup.jpg

Chicken laarb:

laarb.jpg

Calamari (of course):

crispy squid.jpg

Thai beef jerky:

thai beef jerky.jpg

Crispy rolls:

DSCN1038.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

I've been a little lax in posting! I'll get today's lunch up first then catch up on the last few weeks.

I was down in Buffalo today - had lunch with patris - ate at a little place called "Manakeesh and More". Patty has a talent for finding these fabulous little places.

DSCN1261.jpg

Cheese manakeesh

DSCN1263.jpg

Baba ganoush, hummus and a minty tabbouleh.

DSCN1264.jpg

Lamb kabob in a pita - forgot the picture before I started to eat

DSCN1266.jpg

Falafal

Yesterday Anna, myself and my SIL went out shopping at the Asian stores for some staples.

Lunch at a lovely little Japanese/Korean place that had at one time been a pub judging from the layout. We've eaten there before and enjoyed it immensely.

DSCN1252.jpg

Look at this gorgeous menu cover.

DSCN1253.jpg

A couple of different soups to start - the one on the left contained the little knot of noodles and some of the fried batter pieces from the tempura. A nice umami hit.

DSCN1254.jpg

Banchan.

DSCN1255.jpg

Squid bits.

DSCN1257.jpg

Gyoza.

DSCN1258.jpg

Katsu bento.

DSCN1259.jpg

Donburi bento.

DSCN1260.jpg

Teriyaki bento.

Last week Anna and I returned to Sakai - a Burlington restaurant we have always enjoyed.

DSCN1241.jpg

A libation for Anna.

DSCN1243.jpg

Tea for me.

DSCN1244.jpg

The classic miso soup and salad.

DSCN1248.jpg

The hot broth.

DSCN1251.jpg

Shabu shabu fixings. Provided lunch for two and a nice soup dinner for me at work later that day.

I take it this means you've recovered from the chocolate weekend, and are ready to eat again after the meal Saturday night?

Indeed - I've eaten quite a few times since then!

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks ago we found ourselves in Waterdown at lunch time and hit the Coachman Pub - where we have usually had quite an enjoyable meal.

DSCN1267.jpg

Poutine for Anna

DSCN1268.jpg

Curry on chips for me.

• Like 1

Last week we were running around in Burlington - and decided to hit one of our old standbys - Pomelo. Can always be counted on to provide a satisfying lunch.

DSCN1269.jpg

App plate - with calamari of course.

DSCN1271.jpg

Wonton pho for Anna.

DSCN1274.jpg

Tom kha for me.

We make jokes about Poutine...but I had it once and it was SOOOO delicious. Everything you are not supposed to eat on one plate. Or that's the way it feels. Good going, Anna.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We spent the day in the Grimbsy/Beamsville area. We hit a couple of thrift stores - I found a gorgeous ginger jar made by Sadler (the folks who make my brown betty tea pots).

Lunch was at August in Beamsville.

DSCN1275.jpg

Bread basket.

DSCN1276.jpg

Seafood gratin and a very nice smoked ham and lentil soup.

DSCN1277.jpg

Ragout of beef on spaetzle.

It was quite dark - and I realize that I was a tad out of focus.

Nice one, Kerry. August is where we always stop for lunch on our way into Niagara wine country. (And where we stopped for lunch on our way down for the chocolate conference!)

Edited to add: In case you've never had it, their Reuben sandwich is quite good!

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara