• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

Beautiful! Did it taste as good as it looked?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Beautiful! Did it taste as good as it looked?

We try not to provide reviews since we are not qualified and it's not our purpose. We simply want to share our lunch experience. Having said that, the beef was tasty and beautifully cooked. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Like Kerry and Anna, my GF and I had Japanese food when we got together for lunch this week. We had our meal at Yamato's in Galveston.

My GF had the Bento Box with Shrimp Flambe, mini egg rolls, vegetable tempura, fried rice and a salad.

Yamato-01.jpg

I had two of the appetizer dishes - Combo Tempura (Shrimp and Vegetables),

Yamato-02.jpg

and the Yakitori.

Yamato-03.jpg

We managed lunch two days in a row this week. Yesterday we had a guest with us and we introduced her to Indian food. We began with onion bhajis but forgot to take a photo (our guest had to remind us of the need to take photos!). She asked us to order for her and stressed that she didn't like spicy hot. We tried! We all shared Butter Chicken, Jalfrazie Lamb and Bhuna Chicken with naan bread.

My plate:

Adult plate.jpg

Kerry's plate:

adult3.jpg

Our guest's plate:

Adult plate2.jpg

Yes we teased her relentlessly but she was a super, super good sport.

Naan:

naan.jpg

and rice:

Rice.jpg

(This rice is just incredible. For certain it is a basmati rice but the grains seem so much longer and thinner than any of us can produce at home. Light as a feather, too. Anyone care to comment on what we need to do to match it - rice type, cooking method?).

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Like Kerry and Anna, my GF and I had Japanese food when we got together for lunch this week. We had our meal at Yamato's in Galveston.

My GF had the Bento Box with Shrimp Flambe, mini egg rolls, vegetable tempura, fried rice and a salad.

I had two of the appetizer dishes - Combo Tempura (Shrimp and Vegetables),

and the Yakitori.

Your lunch looks amazing especially the yakitori. Thanks for sharing.

My 2004 eG Blog

Chocolot, RobertM and I are in Scranton, PA for 4 days of chocolate classes put on by the PMCA and taught in part by Peter Greweling. Today we on our own for lunch and Ruth and I hit a place called Cosmo's Cheesesteaks and Fries.

DSCN5692.jpg

DSCN5693.jpg

Both cheesesteaks with provolone, onions and peppers, also mushrooms on mine.

DSCN5694.jpg

After lunch we hit a couple of places - one that was a surplus place - and saw this rather delightful looking cookbook about kiddie food.

Yesterday Kerry and I revisited Xin . We tried to re-order the "deep-fried pork burritos" but were told they were not available. We were naturally disappointed but decided to stay and sample other things. First up was this plate of stir-fried vegetables:

STIR FRY VEGETABLES.jpg

Then some pork and chive dumplings:

PORK AND CHIVE DUMPLINGS.jpg

And finally a Beef Roll:

BEEF ROLL.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Meant to post this photo too - after all it is food related and was amost next door to the restaurant where we ate:

IMG_0248.jpg

Is the offer to massage a tuna or could we have elected to be massaged by a tuna? Would a translation help?

My 2004 eG Blog

Last week my GF and I revisited Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar at their League City location. GF had her favorite,

Gumbo%2520Bar-01.jpg

their Steamed Clams, which comes with

Gumbo%2520Bar-02.jpg

cheesy Garlic Toast. She also had

Gumbo%2520Bar-03.jpg

the Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing.

I went with one of my favorites, their

Gumbo%2520Bar-04.jpg

Fried Crawfish Tail Shorty.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Another offering from 'Wich Addiction on miramesa blvd.

Scallop salad. All the components played well together.

2012-06-12 download 007.jpg

Pot roast, roast tomatoes, asparagus on pasta. This is the best meal yet. I saw the size of the serving, swore to save half for the next day, and just couldnt do it. Had to have 'just one more bite' til it was gone.

2012-06-12 download 009.jpg

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Meant to post this photo too - after all it is food related and was amost next door to the restaurant where we ate:

IMG_0248.jpg

Is the offer to massage a tuna or could we have elected to be massaged by a tuna? Would a translation help?

It is a mis-spelling. The common transliteration is 'tuina', a form of Chinese massage. 'Tui' means push, 'na' means grasp. Edited by CFT (log)

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

IMG_0248.jpg

It is a mis-spelling. The common transliteration is 'tuina', a form of Chinese massage. 'Tui' means push, 'na' means grasp.

WHEW! Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd heard of a hot stone massage and once in Montreal a friend had a massage that involved whapping her with leafy branches - just picturing getting whapped with a large fish! Couldn't stop snickering.

Yesterday Kerry and I headed out towards Newmarket to pick up a replacement part for her sous-vide set up. I wanted to find some Thai ingredients as I am cooking from Hot, Sour, Salty Sweet.

Since our destination was not too far from Toronto’s second China town, Pacific Mall, we decided to eat lunch in the area. Seoul Garden offered all you can eat Korean BBQ and it called out to both of us.

First we were amused by this on the menu:

Gratitude.jpg

We were each presented with a small bowl of congee. Not something I would ever have chosen to try but this was quite tasty:

Congee.jpg

We ordered an appetizer of squid (of course!):

Squid.jpg

dipping sauce for squid.jpg

We have never seen such a large offering of banchan:

Banchan1.jpg

Banchan2.jpg

Banchan3.jpg

Banchan4.jpg

This was our cookng surface and the paper stayed on to prevent sticking of some ingredients throughout lunch. After we both sampled the fish and decided it was not to our taste, we should have ditched the paper as it became an annoyance:

Cooking surface.jpg

Platters of food to BBQ:

Fish and vegetables.jpg

Meats and vegetables for BBQ.jpg

Lunch underway:

Lunch underway.jpg

Had we wished, the platters of meat, fish and vegetables would have been replenished but despite our best efforts we could not even finish the first serving. Both of us could have made a very satisfying lunch just on the banchan.

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a couple of lunches to report.

Last week, we went to Monterey's Little Mexico location in Dickinson for Tex-Mex. My GF had had a to-go meal from them the week previous (and enjoyed it) and since I had been curious about them but had never been, that's where we went.

The meal started with the usual

MLM-01.jpg

Corn Tortilla Chips and Table Salsas.

Last week my GF had sampled their Stuffed Avocado, which turned out to be large chunks of avocado on shredded lettuce and topped with grilled shrimp, fish, and mixed vegetables covered with chile con queso. She had opted to have the queso on the side and I followed her example.

MLM-04.jpg

I know it does not look like much (especially since the photo is so blurry) but it was delicious and I cleaned my plate. The queso was great with some of the chips.

My GF had the

MLM-02.jpg

Beef Fajitas with Bell Peppers and Onions, which came with

MLM-03.jpg

Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, Rice, Refried Beans and warm Flour Tortillas; she also had shredded cheese and sour cream.

Earlier this week, we were in Houston and ended up at La Madeleine for a late lunch. My GF had their

La%2520Madeleine-02.jpg

French Dip with Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta Salade and French Vanilla with Berries Mini Parfait, and I had their

La%2520Madeleine-01.jpg

Salade Sampler with Spinach Salade, Chicken Salade, and a cup of Tomato Basil Soupe.

robirdstx – I wanna have lunch with YOU! Between those beautiful tiny little clams and that crawfish sandwich , I’m sitting here drooling!

Anna – you and Kerry find the most amazingly places to lunch. Your area of the world is MUCH more interesting than mine!

For Mother’s day, I had promised my mother to take her to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens and to Feathernester’s (a local restaurant/tea room/antique-home furnishings store) for afternoon tea. We finally did it on Tuesday. Feathernester’s is an adorable place. I could move in! The food was pretty uneven, but fun and not terribly expensive:

7423376906_dd4c27cae6.jpg

P1110170 by ozisforme, on Flickr

7423380570_39db4b68df.jpg

P1110172 by ozisforme, on Flickr

From 12 o’clock: cheesecake bites, chocolate eclairs (frozen and not completely thawed), cucumber and herbed cream cheese on cocktail rye, herb biscuits with chicken salad (VERY good), pimento cheese on marble rye and cream puffs (also frozen).

7423378822_0968b4f332.jpg

P1110171 by ozisforme, on Flickr

Spice cakes with lemon curd, strawberries and chocolate chip shortbread – all very good.

Anna – you and Kerry find the most amazingly places to lunch. Your area of the world is MUCH more interesting than mine

FYI: I live not all that far from Anna and Kerry...less than 100 miles...but it might as well be on the moon. Calipoutine can attest to this as she used to live even nearer to them than I do. Interior Ontario is a gustatory wasteland. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It's great to see others sharing their Ladies Who Lunch experiences!

Yesterday Kerry and I took care of a few errands before finding a place for lunch in Stoney Creek: Miss Thailand

Kerrry ordered ginger tea:

ginger tea.jpg

And I ordered a Thai iced coffee:

Thai iced coffee.jpg

We shared the appetizer platter for two:

appetizer1.jpg

appetizer2.jpg

And Beef Penang curry with Jasmine rice:

Penang Beef Curry.jpg

We couldn’t resist posting this example of Thai décor taken to the nth degree:

Toilet roll.jpg

And I really coveted this tea light holder:

Tea light holder.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

(snippity, snip.....)

We couldn’t resist posting this example of Thai décor taken to the nth degree:

Toilet roll.jpg

And I really coveted this tea light holder:

Tea light holder.jpg

I really covet ALL the stuff. The candle holder, the toilet paper holder, and those lovely, lovely, absolutely stunning dishes and tea service. That pattern is so gorgeous ! But then I'm a stone fool for that cobalt blue.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 1 month later...

I've got some catching up to do!

In July, my GF and I visited the Pei Wei Asian Diner in Webster. She had the

Pei%2520Wei-04.jpg

Mongolian Shrimp with Fried Rice, and

Pei%2520Wei-05.jpg

an Egg Roll. I started with Hot and Sour Soup,

Pei%2520Wei-03.jpg

and didn't remember to take the photo until I was half-way through the bowl.

Pei%2520Wei-01.jpg

For my main, I had the Mongolian Beef and, like my GF, the Fried Rice.

Pei%2520Wei-02.jpg

Today my GF and I dined at the Monument Inn, in LaPorte, which sits along the Houston ship channel. Here's the view from our indoor table. Way too hot to sit outside!

Monument%2520Inn-01.jpg

Both of our meals included their homemade dinner and cinnamon rolls. GF had one of the cinnamon rolls as her appetizer! VBG!

Monument%2520Inn-02.jpg

Each of our meals also included a small house salad, not pictured. GF had the Fried Seafood Combination Platter

Monument%2520Inn-03.jpg

(Oysters, Shrimp, and Stuffed Crab) with a fully loaded Baked Potato. She had so much leftover she took home two to-go boxes that will serve as two additional meals.

I had their Grilled Redfish and a Vegetable Medley. No leftovers for me!

Monument%2520Inn-04.jpg

Monument%2520Inn-05.jpg