• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

these last two posts reminded me of a funny conversation I had at dinner a few years ago in Naples...My new internet friend took us out for drinks and dinner, after ordering calamari she asked me what calamari is called in english....I told her squid but we usually just call it calamari.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Headed down to Buffalo today. Met up with Patris for lunch - we went to a Pakistani Halal restaurant called Zaiga.

There was a nice buffet - food smelled wonderful as we walked through the door. Tasted just as good.

6355971647_efcf6d23c1_z.jpg

6355971703_e9c0be36f2_z.jpg

6355971761_e1a6a9c7d1_z.jpg

Good, except for dessert. There seemed to be a couple of options in the dessert area - some form of rice pudding with almonds, then there were these little fried dough balls in some sort of white sauce - turned out to be a savoury - lots of vinegar in there. Kind of contaminated the rest of the dessert.

6355971807_8875c76fce_z.jpg

I don't think I've ever been in a restaurant that had it's own little prayer closet.

6355971867_2ec4f684a3_z.jpg

This was a bit of a shock when we came out of the church basement - there is a thrift store there where I had seen some perfect cocktail glasses that I decided cost too much last time - sadly now that I was prepared to pay the cost, someone else had scooped them!

6355971953_5292500a1d_z.jpg

The snow is officially here too. I don't think we'll be seeing the ground again for several months but the lakes haven't frozen over yet. I wonder what those vinegar balls are?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The snow is officially here too. I don't think we'll be seeing the ground again for several months but the lakes haven't frozen over yet. I wonder what those vinegar balls are?

A little research leads me to believe they are gulab jamun - which supposedly is a dessert!

A little research leads me to believe they are gulab jamun - which supposedly is a dessert!

There are a number of little fried ball desserts in the Indian/Pakistani cuisine. I was so curious about this that I looked up "Pakistani vinegar balls" (just to start) and actually found a recipe for Ragullah which called for vinegar, but that was only to separate the whey from the milk...not soaked in vinegar. So curious...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Since Kerry needed to do a chocolate run yesterday and I was in danger of becoming a complete hermit if I stayed home much longer, we opted to keep each other company and grab a bite to eat along the way.

One of the plazas near where Kerry gets her chocolate is a United Nations of ethnic restaurants and we have sampled most of them. Today we tried the Japanese offering (link) . As we often do to sample as much as possible we chose a selection of appetizers to share.

Chicken yakitori

DSCN4365.jpg

A complimentary sushi sample

DSCN4366.jpg

Calamari (naturally)

DSCN4368.jpg

Gyoza.

DSCN4370.jpg

And Tempura

DSCN4372.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Most definitely not gulab jamun! Looks like dahi vada to me. No vinegar but most definitely not a dessert! They are made from a batter of dal which is fried into dumplings which are soaked in water to get some oil out and soften them and then soaked in seasoned yoghurt. Delicious when made properly, sorry these weren't to your taste!

I always hesitate opening this thread: about 1 mico second.

the Lunch Ladies always seem to do very well.

I could live on calamari and sushi.

Apparently so can we!

Most definitely not gulab jamun! Looks like dahi vada to me. No vinegar but most definitely not a dessert! They are made from a batter of dal which is fried into dumplings which are soaked in water to get some oil out and soften them and then soaked in seasoned yoghurt. Delicious when made properly, sorry these weren't to your taste!

I'll bet that's exactly what they were - and had I eaten them with my savouries - I suspect I might have enjoyed them. Just a shock when I was expecting sweet!

Shame! Shame!

I did not offer full disclosure on my state-ment re calamari and sushi:

a young but amusing Meursault would be good.

and no thats not what I drink

I did have and old Meursault at lunch with a family that had a 'substantial' wine cellar. very european. in california.

it was like liquid gold slowing streaming down my mouth.

so: Calamari, sushi ( I pick including Uni ) and Meursault. thats it

No Red Meat!

one would not need it with the above.

maybe a paco-jet for fun.

Hmmm... interesting. With apologies to the cuisine of origin, I bet this could be twisted to dessert form. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A very pleasant day of thrift store retail therapy - my best purchase was 8 gold banded vintage cocktail coupes for $10. I don't have room for them - so they will likely remain in the car until I either clear out other glasses or find homes for them.

Lunch was at Bombay Grill.

Cruising through the menu we discovered "cold war raita".

6392067899_7b2c580483_z.jpg

Anna opted for a beer - enjoyed it very much - noted it tasted like a german bock.

6392067995_f4bc8c93ff_z.jpg

Onion bhaji to start.

6392068057_cca900741b_z.jpg

Chicken korma.

6392068109_a0638a956f_z.jpg

Rice.

6392068187_544290bd46_z.jpg

Lamb bhuna.

6392068263_ba2aa78f29_z.jpg

And of course naan to clean up all the sauces.

6392068315_aa075cff2a_z.jpg

From a culinary perspective, sometimes I think I wound up at the wrong end of the province. :biggrin:

Indeed - Sioux Lookout is at a bit of a disadvantage culinarily speaking!

Lovely, Anna and Kerry! The one thing we've really started to enjoy out here is Indian food. Don's always been a fan, but me not so much till we moved here. It's now in our regular take out rotation and I've done a couple of Indian dishes myself. Love, love, love onion bhaji!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

After a couple of necessary errands Kerry and I found Lemongrass (BEWARE loud music!).

We ordered the appetizer platter:

Appetizer platter.jpg

and a small bowl of soup.

Crab meat for Kerry:

Crab soup.jpg

Wonton for me:

Wonton Soup.jpg

Kerry found her soup to be not at all to her liking either in texture (likely the egg whites) nor in taste (too fishy for her) so she asked for a bowl of the lemongrass soup which was much more to her liking:

Lemongrass soup.jpg

The most amazing thing about this restaurant was not the food, the service, nor the décor but the diners. Even before noon it was SRO and 95% were SENIOR CITIZENS! I am a senior myself but I’ve been in countless ethnic dining venues with Kerry and have never seen so many other seniors. At first we thought perhaps it was an outing from a retirement home but we watched them leave in their own cars.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My GF and I got together early on Tuesday morning to run some errands that took us, all the way across Houston, to the Spring area. On the return trip we stopped at the Omni Westside on the Katy Freeway to have a late lunch in their "Cafe on the Lake".

I ordered from the appetizer menu and had the Red Pepper Shrimp. It was really, really good. Nicely spiced with just the right amount of heat!

Red%252520Pepper%252520Shrimp.jpg

And my gf had the Jumbo Lump Crab Salad with an Herbed Aioli, which came with a salad of field greens.

Jumbo%252520Lump%252520Crab%252520Salad.jpg

While I enjoyed a glass of chardonnay, my friend had a Creme Brulee.

Creme%252520Brulee.jpg

After our meal, we got some "fish food" from the Registration Desk and fed some of the koy that reside in the "lakes" in the hotel's lobby. The hotel is involved with koy rescue and has about two hundred koy living in their indoor ponds. Three of the koy used to belong to my gf. When her pond was having major, ongoing problems, several years ago, the hotel sent out a van with the right equipment to transport the fish to their site.

Koy-02.jpg

Anna and I headed out this am with a mission - Whole Foods and the liquor store - those were the only obligations. Christmas at the LCBO can be dangerous to your pocketbook - all sorts of stuff they don't carry the rest of the year. I came home with Cherry Heering, Lillet Rouge and Mount Gay Extra old rum. Managed to resist all the rest - but there were some serious temptations!

We noticed the flags at the cenotaph were half mast - Anna figured out it was in recognition of the anniversary of Pearl Harbour - must have been what planted the desire for Japanese food for lunch.

Lunch today at Tokyo Bay. Individual booths -

6469007117_c26bd5034f_z.jpg

Gotta have the miso soup -

6469007197_78acd86266_z.jpg

We opted for the Fusion appetizer - veggie spring roll, fish cakes and pork dumplings.

6469007337_981ac4f480_z.jpg

Beer for Anna -

6469007275_6d6daf6bf3_z.jpg

Teriyaki bento for me

6469007419_2f48ec60e7_z.jpg

Tempura bento for Anna.

6469007483_8464337560_z.jpg

We noticed the flags at the cenotaph were half mast - Anna figured out it was in recognition of the anniversary of Pearl Harbour - must have been what planted the desire for Japanese food for lunch.

And the Japanese theme did not end with lunch Click.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Out to lunch a couple of times this week - first on Tuesday with Beth Wilson - she was down from the Ottawa area where she now lives. She joined me first at my child's classroom where we spent a couple of hours teaching the kids and the educational assistants from the class how to play with chocolate (well compound chocolate - it's too difficult to get in to tempering with the time constraints and the other limitations of her class).

Then we hit a couple of thrift stores in search of the perfect garlic press and ended up at Pomelo for lunch.

Beth follows this thread and has enjoyed calamari with Anna and I before - so of course we had to order it! They do it very nicely here.

6561766747_1c4eb7e6f0_z.jpg

Followed by Spring Roll Bun for Beth

6561766795_6c64126e28_z.jpg

And Tom yum pho for me - fusion doesn't get any better!

6561766857_3aa81e3276_z.jpg

My second lunch out this week took us to Bahn Thai.

You'll never guess what this is?

6561766925_60a0d0263a_z.jpg

Tamarind Beef

6561767025_15139c21ce_z.jpg

Chicken larb - it's unusual to find larb in the restaurants around here.

6561767113_7e25044cef_o.jpg