• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1 Day and Night in Austin

Swicks

Hey all,

I have a stay over in Austin from a weekend trip and am looking for a few recs. I am looking for somewhere for dinner sunday night and a lunch spot monday before I leave monday evening.

Maybe some BBQ? For dinner something unique, nothing crazy high end but would like something nice, say $50-$75 including a glass of wine or drink? No tex-mex as I already eat a lot of good mexican food because I am from Socal.

Thanks!

-S

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Also, I won't have a car so somewhere that is accessible by taxi or public transport.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Don't know yet, most likely the downtown area, I have not sorted out my hotel situation as of yet. I don't mind traveling a bit if it is accessible

Any recs on areas to stay, I don't know austin well.

OMG ! RENT A CAR ! OR CLAW YOUR WAY TO LOCKHART TEXAS !

DO NOT miss the BBQ in Lockhart !

the BBQ is SOOOO good .... i am thinking about MOVING there JUST to have access to the sublime

smoked meats on a daily basis !

if you like the REAL deal when it comes to smoked meats...... GO to LOCKHART and GO to BLACKS SMITTYS OR KREUZ !

ALL absolutely AMAZING!

• 2 weeks later...

Had I seen this in a timely manner I would have suggested looking over my map for something accessible. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106324921966915789140.0004585e078a49e893c72&z=8

Austin's bus system is passable and can get you to a lot of places and I believe they are designed to deal with bikes.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

On a trip to Austin last month, staying mostly downtown, I really enjoyed Lambert's, Peche, Frank, and Parkside.

Jezebel was mostly a bust. Undercooked sweetbreads, everything plated really "tall," unmemorable flavor combinations, underseasoned entrees. Eh.

Drove out to Cooper's in Llano for BBQ (with a stop at Inman's and another stop at Opie's in Spicewood) and it was good but a little too salty for me. We tried the brisket (still think Smitty's is better), sausage (really good), and pork ribs (good but not the best I've had).

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure