• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Career Options for a Chef

paulraphael

My cousin, a chef in Milwaukee, needs some fresh ideas. He's 62, doesn't own his restaurant, has little saved for retirement, and is struggling against an economy that's made chefing harder even than usual. On top of it, he was recently in a car accident, and has been suffering from back pain ever since. I don't know how debilitating or longterm this injury is.

He has not made a big name for himself in the culinary world in Milwaukee (is there one?) but is highly competent. And he's more educated and articulate than the average chef; before culinary school he pursued a doctorate in some other discipline. He speaks and writes well. He's also taught in culinary school, years ago.

What kinds of options might be open to someone in his position? Back trouble or not, it seems his days on the line can't last forever. I'm thinking he needs to pursue a more non-traditional path, like maybe working for a food manufacturer, in management for a large food service company, teaching of some kind, consulting of some kind ... But I don't know what the real world looks like in these fields, especially not in that part of the country.

I'll be happy to pass on any ideas.

Notes from the underbelly

We recently attended a cooking class run by an ex-chef who had done her back in after years in a busy restaurant. She runs a variety of classes and caters for both interested individuals and corporate groups. She's formed a partnership with a local winery and is able to use their kitchen - the winery connection is also handy for accompaniments to the long lunch which follows the classes!

Here's her site, which may be of interest. Good luck to your cousin.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by lesliec (log)

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Demonstrate high-end food equipment, either for consumers or industry

Personal chef - private dinner parties, etc.

Teaching

What about tech support for equipment distributors?

Karen Dar Woon

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a job for a pretty big caterer/bakery. They used to have a manager run the show but she was not a chef. I can manage (need someone edumacated) and create menus, teach the recipes etc. It's a daytime job and not physically demanding.

Matt

• 2 months later...