• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me Identify This Cheese

Hi there.

I am currently visiting my sister in Switzerland and I just picked up a most amazing cheese from the laterie one town over. I didn't pay close attention when I was buying it and the owner of the laterie doesn't mark the cheeses after he wraps them so I am now stuck trying to figure out what this cheese is. I leave tomorrow morning so I can't even go back to look.

This cheese is a white rind very soft, silky, layered cheese. The center of the cheese is a layer almost like boursin in texture, mousse-like, and it has chopped mushrooms, morels I think but I can't recall with certainty what the label said. Around that center is what I think is a raw milk cheese as it has a super silky, soft almost runny texture and it has a white rind.

Any help?

TIA in advance. I am dying to know what this cheese is. It is absolute heaven. One of the most wonderful things I've ever eaten.

There are little bits of mushroom in the mousse-like center though you can't see them in my photo. Nikkib may be correct in suggesting truffles as opposed to morels. I wish I had paid more attention when I bought it. I am leaving today but my Mom is arriving shortly after I leave. My sister has instructions for my Mom to go to the laterie and find out what the cheese is. I will report back in a few days when I hear from her.

I spoke with my cheese providore. He said it is a French truffle brie. They open the cheese up and put in a layer of mixed marscapone and truffle. They the seal the cheese up and mature it for another four weeks.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hmmm could be, nickrey but I have my doubts. For one, the center layer didn't have anywhere near the amount of bits as the pick in the link you posted and two, the center cheese didn't seem at all like marscapone in texture or flavor but, you never know...

I am leaning towards it being truffle though not morels.

I haven't had a chance to talk to my Mom yet but I will report back as soon as I do.