• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lollipops and other similar confections

Darienne

Somewhere in my pre-digital photos, I have several photos of the "March of the Chocolate Bunnies" that was in a long-defunct department store when the Topanga Plaza mall first opened back in 1966. It was a long display under a series of glass cases but apparently they did not consider the heat from the lights above the cases.

While some of the bunnies were still in their original shapes, others had begun to deform and some had assumed very funny configurations. In one case one bunny looked like it was "attacking" another and one previously standing bunny was doing a backbend with its ears touching the floor of the case.

As I recall, there were at least twenty bunnies in the display and it attracted a lot of attention before someone in charge realized something was wrong and had the cases covered with paper to hide the damage.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cannot believe where my mind has been...or not been. :wacko:

It's all there in PGreweling, Big Book. Page 200. Striped hard candy to make candy canes and striped hard candy lollipops. The lollipops are exactly what I wanted to make in the first place.

Has anyone made them? Any tips I should know before setting out?

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

OK. Today was Candy Day.

Yesterday I made the Nightscotsman's marshmallows (tinted a lovely St. Paddy's green) and today confectionery partner, Barbara, and I cut the pops, dipped them into white chocolate and decorated with green thingies.

MARSHMALLOW POPS (UNDIPPED).jpg

First white chocolate we used was Lindt's and it was very liquid. Had to double dip the pops. The second we used was Callebaut. Too thick. Added some Lindt and it worked out beautifully. Single-dipped only and a whiter coating.MARSHMALLOW POPS (DIPPED).jpg

The kids will love them! :wub:

Next time, we'll do the striped hard candy.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 months later...

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I have been given a commission by a friend who rescues Boston Terriers...make lollipops for the rescue society to sell at their next function. Glad to make a contribution.

First Barbara made some test dog head forms using aluminum strips that we had cut last year and decorated them with Royal icing. I think they might be decorated a little less heavily and maybe some muzzle lines put in.

And then I made a test lollipop tonight using a silicone mold made by our friend's husband who works with Powertex. It's more realistic. He made only the one mold but can make many using the same original. I found that the candy took a LONG time to harden and cool in the silicone form. I also used white coloring for the first time. Not sure if there's a point to white although the dogs are white and black. Can't really decorate this realistic head very easily.

So it's up to the rescue folks to decide which one to use...or to go for something else.

Might try to make some more dogs' head in the less realistic format for the annual dog weekend in August.

ps. a) I really need a camera with a macro lens and b) I like the more cartoony head better.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

.....ps. a) I really need a camera with a macro lens and b) I like the more cartoony head better.

If by "cartoony" heads you mean the green, clear ones, I agree. Looks more like a real lollipop, and a little less like taking a nibble out of Rover....I might like the white one with contrasting colors/artwork, but I imagine that would be way too labor-intensive to be worthwhile.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

If by "cartoony" heads you mean the green, clear ones, I agree. Looks more like a real lollipop, and a little less like taking a nibble out of Rover....I might like the white one with contrasting colors/artwork, but I imagine that would be way too labor-intensive to be worthwhile.

To do the realistic one with contrasting colors/artwork would not be sensible at all. The photo doesn't show the entire effect of the mold...hey! I need a macro lens... Ed said the realistic one looked sort of creepy almost. That was not his word...but it will do.

I think the 'cartoony' ones need some refinement in the decor still, but they really do say 'Boston Terrier' to me. It'll be up to our BT friends, of course.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Change the 'mouth' icing on the green ones to the inverted boomerang shape of the 'realistic' one, and you've got a winner (frozting = all muzzle no nose in other words).

They are cute!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Am still awaiting reply from chief decision maker and 'buyer'. Your idea is a good one. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Check out the story "The TinderBox", then look at the lolli samples again. :wink:

I had read the story before but had not remembered it as being as bl**dy nasty as this original telling. However, I do get the point about the 'eyes'. :biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

A Head's-Up for the Young at Heart:

Tuesday, July 20th, is National Lollipop Day (right in the middle of National Ice Cream month).

What are you doing to celebrate?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got started on the Boston Terrier lollipops for Boston Terrier Rescue's next do. Confectionery partner Barbara, with the help of the Boston Terrier volunteer Brigette, overseen by Filo, a little Boston Terrier female.

Somewhere in Barbara's house lurk the silicone head forms we were supposed to use. In the interim we used the flat, aluminum shaped ones Barbara made.

Here are the lollies partly done. Head, plus muzzle.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 10 months later...

Busy with lollipops again. This time for the local Turtle Trauma Centre which rescues and saves injured turtles. Like all non-profit organizations, they need funds, so I thought this might be a good way to help.

Ed made the molds for me and today...after so many incredibly hot and humid days...the first batch was made.

Turtles #1.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Holy cow those are adorable! But do injured turtles really NEED to be eating lollipops? :laugh:

The humidity has been horrible here too!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

You'd be surprised at how those turtles pick up after a lick or two.

As for the humidity...like a great big stupid, I left the pops out over night and now I have sticky turtles. I've had them in front of a fan for several hours now and that is having no drying effect on them. Perhaps I'll try a dehydrator next? Does this make sense? Or should I just scratch them? It's only 6 lollies.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So then I realized that the fridge was not an answer...too much humidity. Looked all through eGullet for answers. Lots of answers to prevent hygroscopic problems...but none as to whether you could reverse the problem once encountered.

Finally dipped the pops in sugar...three times...then bagged them and put them into an airtight container (where they belonged in the first place). Tomorrow morning, I'll unveil the lollies and see what state they are in.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 months later...

So then I realized that the fridge was not an answer...too much humidity. Looked all through eGullet for answers. Lots of answers to prevent hygroscopic problems...but none as to whether you could reverse the problem once encountered.

Finally dipped the pops in sugar...three times...then bagged them and put them into an airtight container (where they belonged in the first place). Tomorrow morning, I'll unveil the lollies and see what state they are in.

Just rereading this topic looking for information on making swirly multicolored lollipops and found the above message. It's now October, I still have the turtle lollipops, and they are still fine. (Could not produce enough at that time for the organization.)

And I could still use more practical information about making swirly pops. We're going to work the PG's big book.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.