• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizzeria Libretto

GordonCooks

DSCN1182.JPG

Pizza is garnering more culinary attention than ever but not about it’s glorified gourmet Spago-esque leanings - but more for it’s humble, traditional beginnings. Places such as Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, Motorino & Keste in NY, etc all purport to do it the old-world way. What it the old-world way you ask? We go to where it was born and where it’s revered – Naples. If want to call your pie authentic (vera pizza napoletana) then you got to get permission. The Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana is the association that designates your pie as the real deal. Desiring to experience my food passion in it’s most authentic form, it was off to Toronto to visit Pizzeria Libretto which is probably the most local to me. Located in the up and coming Ossington strip – home of Burger Shoppe and Foxley’s to name a couple – Pizzeria Libretto is a long, narrow place with a cozy bar and 18-20 tables. Upon our arrival, it was an hour wait. So, leave your name cell # and grab a drink at one of the local bars. After about an hour (and being a little nervous about my American cell number) we headed back over. We waited only about 5 more minutes and were able to grab seats at the bar. The menu was quite simple and we knew what we wanted. I chose the beef carpaccio and my girlfriend Leslie went with Arugula, pear, and piave salad. Pizza – wise? The D.O.P. Margherita, the Doppio (same with extra mozz) and a not so traditional Rapini, goat cheese, and olive pie with mozz. The salad and carpaccio were quite – mostly due to the quality of the ingredients and really good extra virgin olive oil they used. Pizzas? The Margherita was first out of the oven – the crust was light, almost delicate in texture. Much like a center of dough and lightly covered in a just charred and crispy exterior. The sauce was good, albeit bland for my taste (too many chunky, oregano laden pies I guess) but tasting of simple San Marzanos from the can. The cow’s milk mozz was quite good but once again, mild. They do give you a bottle of chili oil to add at your discretion. The Doppio was more to my liking due to the extra cheese but the rapini pie was a little bland for my taste. Pizza in its indigenous form is more of a snack or street food. The pizza at Libretto fit the bill and is probably as I would enjoy it in Italy (minus the view.) The mostly Italian wine list is small in size but extensive in variety. Most choices available by the glass, quartino, half or full bottle. Dessert was a delicious Chocolate Amaretto Budino and Chocolate gelato. A fine end to a fine meal. To summarize, the pizza at Libretto was everything I expected it to be and more…but “my” pizza as I’ve come to enjoy it, is much more substantial in form. Nothing against Libretto, but I’ll stick to my locals

• 3 months later...