• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramadan

stellabella

1 hour ago, shain said:

We bought some sweets for the Ramadan.

PXL_20220417_110106933.thumb.jpeg.a58a4d9b425b0a58592cfe14e1755c37.jpeg

Knaffeh got a bit squished, but was very nice once heated.

PXL_20220417_105939005.thumb.jpeg.23d53f5c056a7379c306e8607808e5d1.jpeg

PXL_20220417_110451396.thumb.jpeg.0e10c47c915c04e2b550d454496cd7eb.jpeg

PXL_20220417_110609736.thumb.jpeg.abd1f82e9d6f2cbe5ec6a652db2f6786.jpeg

Nice way to break a fast!  I've only been presented with the pistachio green ones once but it was in an assortment of such sweets from Costco - not good. They look so appealing. I've used various nuts in baklava - may have to give it a go when I do winter holiday baking. Do you know what makes the pastry so orange in that top left one? Today I asked my 60 year old Pakistani Muslim driver if he was fasting and how he broke fast. He said had done faithfully from age 13 but after his liver transplant a few years ago and all the meds he stopped. His wife not happy with him ;)  Sure he would enjoy yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Nice way to break a fast!  I've only been presented with the pistachio green ones once but it was in an assortment of such sweets from Costco - not good. They look so appealing. I've used various nuts in baklava - may have to give it a go when I do winter holiday baking. Do you know what makes the pastry so orange in that top left one? Today I asked my 60 year old Pakistani Muslim driver if he was fasting and how he broke fast. He said had done faithfully from age 13 but after his liver transplant a few years ago and all the meds he stopped. His wife not happy with him ;)  Sure he would enjoy yours.

A very nice way to break fast, but for us it's dessert after another meal, and heavy Passover food as well 😛

The orange color is artificial, I'm afraid.

I've yet to eat the baklava that tastes better than a homemade one, I would love to see your take.

~ Shai N.

21 minutes ago, shain said:

A very nice way to break fast, but for us it's dessert after another meal, and heavy Passover food as well 😛

The orange color is artificial, I'm afraid.

I've yet to eat the baklava that tastes better than a homemade one, I would love to see your take.

I learned from my mom who took a class with a Jordanian woman locally. Then @ChefCrashintroduced us to his simpler method which does not involve annointing each layer individually. See here (my efforts are in there - my better images must be in some hoiday baking topic) Recently I've started using calamansi instead of lemon in the syrup as a neighbor has 2 trees that bear profusely and it has a nice floral note. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/105592-baklava-baklawa/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1