• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nut free restaurant

We're going out with a few friends in May for a cocktail evening in Notting Hill and I'm wanting to organise a bite to eat somewhere after. I would normally just plump for Galvin. However one of the party has a severe nut allergy and has not eaten in a restaurant for 10 years (I really don't know how she has survived...). Therefore the question is, are there any restaurants which are nut free, or as nut free as can be?

Now I know no restaurant could ever guarantee being completely nut free but if any one knows of any which try and be as nut free as possible (eg. no nuts ever used in the kitchen etc...) it would be fantasic.

Thanks,

Paul.

Paul, I speak as a person with an allergy to some nuts (hospital, adrenalin the full works) and I would suggest you give up on the quest. If the person with the allergy has avoided restaurants for ten years then they are a touch paranoid and you are not going to find anything for them.

I find restaurants very accommodating when I tell them about my allergy and they always work hard to avoid them. If you persist in the quest the best advice is to head for a top quality place where the chef is on hand to prep the food rather than anything mass market. The better (more expensive) the place the more care they take and the more certain you can be of a nut free meal. The kitchen won't be nut free, but he kitchen processes will be precise enough to ensure the dishes are. Cheaper options have a lot of bought in food, mass prepped food and/or poor chains of communication from FOH to kitchen which results in error and uncertainty.