• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delmonico's (Steakhouse)

markk

Those of you who know me know that I have a soft spot for nostalgic dining.

I just received a very enticing dining offer from "Delmonico's" for a meal that includes "Foie Gras Eggs Benedict", Oysters, "Lobster Newburg", salad, a Delmonico Steak, and Baked Alaska.

Does anybody have any experience with this place recently?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I haven't heard anything about Delmonico's lately. It could be tired and lame, as one would guess it is, but with places like that it's always possible they recently got some great new chef or GM and are trying to do something ambitious. I don't know.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I live right next to it and go there once in a while. Very average and over priced. Much better options if you want a steak house in the area. I'd recommend either Mark Joseph in the seaport or Capital Grille.

Edited by sct4a (log)

Those of you who know me know that I have a soft spot for nostalgic dining.

I just received a very enticing dining offer from "Delmonico's" for a meal that includes "Foie Gras Eggs Benedict", Oysters, "Lobster Newburg", salad, a Delmonico Steak, and Baked Alaska.

Does anybody have any experience with this place recently?

It appears that Delmonico's is trying to pull in new clients by offering some of these "throwback" dishes. I have no idea how they'll turn out, but this is not the stuff Delmonico's had been doing in recent years.

As a pure steakhouse, there are better places, but it has old-world charm that is perfect in certain situations. I sent some folks there for a business dinner, and they thanked me afterwords for the recommendation.

I was just at Delmonico's for restaurant week.

It depends on what you're after. I went for the Old New York of it, I wasn't expecting much, and I enjoyed it for what I was after.

I had Lobster Newburg, Chicken a la Keene, and Baked Alaska. My partner had the scallops and bacon thingy, the beef and cabbage thingy and Baked Alaska. The food was meh. My favorite thing was the bread that included cranberry and walnuts from the bread basket . . .

Those who had steaks looked like they had ordered more wisely.

I loved the dining room and the murals. It was last Thursday's snow storm and it was lovely. That was what I was after and that was very satisfying.

Since you said you also like that, and you have a price break, why not give it a try?

I did go on a little Baked Alaska nut afterward, because it had it's merits (I'd not had one before) but I thought I could do much, much better. I would do it with a brownie on the bottom . . .

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.