• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Girl loves scallop sashimi

FoodMuse

Hey all,

Friend is planning a bithday dinner for his girl. She loves scallop sashimi. Any reccomendations of where to go in Manhattan? Not too pricy please.

Thanks

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Hey all,

Friend is planning a bithday dinner for his girl. She loves scallop sashimi. Any reccomendations of where to go in Manhattan? Not too pricy please.

Thanks

Grace

Well, with anything sashimi, price is related to quality, and bargain raw fish is rarely a real bargain, if you know what I mean. Because the taste is subtle, and best left without too much adulteration, you really notice when the scallop itself isn't the best. That said, the best examples of scallop sashimi I've had in Manhattan are at 15 East, Sushi Yasuda and Ushi Wakamaru. Also really good were Soto and Kyo Ya. Of course, it is dependent on the place having it on a given day, so calling ahead is advised. Other options include Sushi Uo on the LES (which had great live scallop the last time I was there), Shimizu in the West 50's and Jewel Bako (which has improved again of late) . And although it's not exactly cutting edge, the scallop tiradito at Nobu is always a good call. For non-Japanese/traditional versions, you might try Desnuda, or Esca.

Agreed on quality relating to price. I just wanted to filter out the Nobu price point. :)

Thank you so much for your post. I'll forward this on to my friend!

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Just had lunch at Yasuda, and I mention it because although Scallop was the highlight, it was instead the orange liver and the greyish belly of the scallop that really stood out, not the scallop itself (which was perfectly good per se). The two were served side by side as separate pieces, towards the end of a 29 piece omakase meal as Chef Yasuda, egged on by my positive feedback, progressed further and further away from the safe stuff. Was truly exquisite, not sure where else you could get this "just cut" per the chef, here in the city. If $100 is pricey, I'd avoid the omakase and just order a few scallop sushi and whatever else by the piece.

edited to add, $100 is a guesstimation for the cheaper/shorter omakase, I went past that amount during the meal above.

Edited by sickchangeup (log)