• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars or AA Rosettes - Which is a better guide to excellent f

PhilD,

We decided to end up going to Chapter One - mainly because it is halfway between Hever Castle in West Kent where we will be visiting in the morning -- and London, where we will be in the late afternoon.

We will try The Sportsman in Seasalter on a later trip, maybe next year when we go to Sissinghgurst, or Canterbury.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Christina,

Thank you! Oh my, I had no idea they were gauged so diiferently.

If AA was a hotel inspector, I could see it.

But on food alone, well, that is odd.

The AA has guides for hotels, restaurants (and pubs), so perhaps they save money by doubling up and reviewing both hotel and restaurant at the same time?

Christina,

Thank you! Oh my, I had no idea they were gauged so diiferently.

If AA was a hotel inspector, I could see it.

But on food alone, well, that is odd.

The AA has guides for hotels, restaurants (and pubs), so perhaps they save money by doubling up and reviewing both hotel and restaurant at the same time?

You could well be right. In all honesty we weren't so bothered about the carpet thing, it was a good excuse to replace them! But the owner managed thing made us very cross indeed as my husband and I were in and out of the place every bloomin'day!

Hi Annie,

I suppose the aa guide is pretty relevent. I would say however that you are more likely to have a gd meal, where there is a bit of guide cross over. 3 rosettes 1 star michelin should be pretty solid. Ive found that 3 rosettes can sometimes be hit and miss. Which i suppose is why they don't have a star.( maybe not consistent enough) I don't however think the gfg is particularly good out side of the m25 belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Monday morning to you, Hot Trotter.

Thank you. That is useful to know about the gfg outside of the city not being as relaible.

I think I have it down pretty well now, much appreciation to you and everybody else who has spoken up!

Because our vacations tend to be culinary delights - as well as historic/homes/castle/gardens explorations, we will divert our driving to restaurants having at least one Michelin star AND a minimum of 3 AA rosettes.

We got lucky and snagged a reservation at Whatley Manor in Wiltshire for dinner!

(Also are going to go to Chapter One in Kent on the way back to London from Hever Castle.)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't however think the gfg is particularly good out side of the m25 belt.

I rarely eat inside the M25, although I do eat quite a bit outside and I find the GFG quite consistent and reliable. So, for instance, I know the standard of a Cooking 3 in my home area around Cheshire and have rarely found that a similarly scored place elsewhere is much adrift from that.

John Hartley

Be interested in your report on Whatley Manor. We stayed in 2007, lovely place but we weren’t overly impressed with the food, haven't been back.

So would I, we nearly dined there on Saturday with an overnight stay in the area but could not get anywhere that I fancied dining at on the Sunday.

We ended up heading over to Berkshire and then on to London,

Reports soon.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1