• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch Around Indianapolis

jrichman

Hi All,

Myself and my family will be in Indianapolis this April for the Final 4. I am looking for some recomendations for a great brunch place for Sunday. We are staying at the hotel below - would like to go somewhere relatively close - lets say within a 20 minute drive - however if there is someplace outstanding that is further than 20 minutes that would be a consideration. Thanks in advance for the help!

Our Hotel

Drury Inn & Suites Northeast

8180 N Shadeland Ave Indianapolis, Indiana, 46250

I don't do brunch much, but Cafe Patachou usually tops brunch lists. There's one very near your hotel (the River Crossing one). http://www.cafepatachou.com/

Not strictly local, but Le Peep is also mentioned often. I have been here and had higher expectations than were met (my eggs bennie had a broken hollandaise). But the menu has a good variety and I think I was the only disappointed one in the group. http://www.lepeepindy.com/ (the Castleton location is almost within walking distance of your hotel)

One I saw mentioned is the Three Sisters Cafe. Again, one I've not visited. But it caught my eye because I first noticed it while out for a walk. It looked so quaint that as I walked down the block my head was craning back trying to figure it out. It seems to get good marks for the food, but gets dinged on service. http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/profile/3960610/indianapolis_in/three_sisters_cafe.html#profileTab-reviews

You're in a good location to cover a lot of ground in a car in 20 minutes. You've got freeways that can take you west, south or northeast 20 miles in that time. If you travel west on 82nd street you'll pass not one, but two malls. In the second one (the Fashion Mall) is a Cheesecake Factory which is also a popular brunch spot.

If the weather is nice, I would recommend taking I-69/Highway 37/Binford Blvd southwest to 62nd street. Go west on 62nd, past Keystone Ave about 1 mile to Broad Ripple Village. Here you can get out and walk. This is where the Three Sisters is, as well as another Cafe Patachou and a variety of other restaurants including locally unique Bazbeaux Pizza (if you miss brunch). This would allow you to lay eyes on several places before you decide.

Head downtown to Shapiro's Deli. It's about 20 minutes via I-465 and I-70. It's cafeteria style, but something for everyone. Great corned beef and pastrami (not as good as Katz's, but pretty darned close), lox and bagel, variety of other sandwiches, good quality hot plates, gargantuan desserts. I don't think they do pancakes, but they do offer omelets for weekend brunch.

(PS: The downtown location is better than the one in Carmel.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a matter of loyalty, I'd like to mention another place, not really for brunch (although it could be had there - after a fashion), but just for donuts. The Donut Shop at 5527 N. Keystone Ave.

With Krispy Kreme and the local super markets driving out all of the local independent donut shops, this one remains and outdoes them all on a daily basis. Despite the Waffle-House style decor, this place is a real local gem. They actually have a much bigger menu (that has received some acclaim - although I've only had the donuts).

It has all the appearance of a breakfast dive, but the donuts, and I'm talking about the yeast ones, are among the best anywhere. Almost ethereal in their lightness. If you'd like a light chocolate icing (on the inside), the Chocolate Angels are recommended.

Edit: My usual preference would be a chocolate bavarian - with the custard on the inside and a chocolate glaze on top. But these donuts are so light, that here it creates a unique problem; The custard is perfect, but the chocolate glaze must be able to keep to itself when packaged into a box of 11 other donuts. So the glaze seems rather rigid in contrast to the softness of the rest. But I think that only serves as a testament to the excellence of the basic package. (EDIT EDIT: Oh wait, there's a powdered Bavarian - MINE!)

Website (just as cheesy as the rest of the decor): http://www.thedonutshoponline.com/index.html

Edit:

Oh, and this from the link in the post immediately preceding this one - cash only. ;)

Edited by IndyRob (log)