• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Miso Sauce

Kuma

I was reading the recipe for furofuki daikon and I was wondering: they list the sauce that goes with the simmered daikon as:

50 ml White Miso Paste

50 ml Mirin

1 Tbls Sugar

When cooked, it looks silky and savoury/sweet and I thought it might go well with other foods. Has anyone used it on anything else other than Daikon? I tried it on Sweet Potato and it went together really nicely.

Daikon is really the classic use for this sauce, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with other mild vegetables. Keep in mind the the preparation of the daikon is just as important as the sauce.

Personally though I don't like furofuki made with white miso, especially with a really sweet, simple recipe like the one you mention. It's just too sweet. Cutting down on the sugar, replacing the mirin with sake, and using different types of miso would help make it more versatile. I love it with red miso.

A similar and much more versatile sauce is dengaku, although it's often brushed on food while grilled rather than just used as a sauce. It's lovely with tofu, eggplant, konnyaku, daikon, and the like.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus